RAM sticks

which is better, in terms of price, versatility, performance and lets also include "future proof".

4x 4GB RAM

2x 8GB RAM

1x 16GB RAM

i was thinking with the new 3000 ryzen coming out, i want to build a be all end all PC that i won't have to upgrade anymore (at least for 10 years or so). i'll be staying at 1080p all the way btw. not sure if RAM have anything to do with all that but i do want to have my browser running twitch/youtube/some other tabs while i can do full screen gaming so i'm thinking 16GB is a sweet spot

unrelated but might as well ask anyway, this might be a meme already but should i wait for Navi? i recently bought a 144Hz Freesync monitor, having to purchase a nice AMD GPU once saves a lot of hassle in buying 1070 change to Navi and selling back the 1070

5 minutes ago, RyomaSJibenG said:

i want to build a be all end all PC that i won't have to upgrade anymore (at least for 10 years or so

thats not a thing that exists

cept in the server world however the servers are retired after 10 years but they are 100,000$ machines with several cpu cards to keep their speed relevant for 10 years of service.

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

thats not a thing that exists

cept in the server world however the servers are retired after 10 years but they are 100,000$ machines with several cpu cards to keep their speed relevant for 10 years of service.

haha ok, sorry for exaggerating, i just want something that lasts me long long time without upgrading frequently is all.

For "future proof" I would think that a single 16 GB memory module would make the most sense as that leaves the rest of the slots empty for other 16 GB modules in the future. If you have any sort of budget, I would say 2x 8 GB of memory might be considered as that allows for dual channel mode.

I would also suggest a certain speed for the memory, but since the Ryzen 3000 processors have not come out yet, I would not be able to say for sure, but it will likely be capable of running memory past 3000 MT/s without overclocking.

I would suggest getting the 2x8GB this way it's easier to upgrade in the future (and it's cheaper than 4x4GB). Wouldn't suggest single-channel memory if you plan on trying to push for 144FPS+ in games

17 minutes ago, RyomaSJibenG said:

which is better, in terms of price, versatility, performance and lets also include "future proof".

4x 4GB RAM

2x 8GB RAM

1x 16GB RAM

i was thinking with the new 3000 ryzen coming out, i want to build a be all end all PC that i won't have to upgrade anymore (at least for 10 years or so). i'll be staying at 1080p all the way btw. not sure if RAM have anything to do with all that but i do want to have my browser running twitch/youtube/some other tabs while i can do full screen gaming so i'm thinking 16GB is a sweet spot

unrelated but might as well ask anyway, this might be a meme already but should i wait for Navi? i recently bought a 144Hz Freesync monitor, having to purchase a nice AMD GPU once saves a lot of hassle in buying 1070 change to Navi and selling back the 1070

I would say go more for 5 years, by then you will start to see alot of performance issues in gaming and other tasks. If you don't game then 10 years is possible. Go for 2 8GB sticks so you have dual channel and redundancy if one were to fail. 

2 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

I would say go more for 5 years, by then you will start to see alot of performance issues in gaming and other tasks. If you don't game then 10 years is possible. Go for 2 8GB sticks so you have dual channel and redundancy if one were to fail. 

yea 10 years is a bit exaggerated...anyway, so why 2x 8GB over 4x 4GB stick?

3 minutes ago, RyomaSJibenG said:

yea 10 years is a bit exaggerated...anyway, so why 2x 8GB over 4x 4GB stick?

Two main advantages:

1: Generally 2x 8 GB modules are a bit cheaper when purchased as a kit vs 4x 4GB kits.

2: I am assuming since 4 modules is an option you will be getting a motherboard with at least that many memory slots. With 2x 8 GB modules that leaves an additional 2 slots to bring your build to at least 32 GB in the future.