Build "freezing", requiring shutting off by PSU, after changing SSD, cooler and case

NewAndreas
Go to solution Solved by NewAndreas,

Ok, so after some more googling when I realized my computer crashed in this when running Asus' Fan Xpert 4 calibration, I started suspecting the NZXT CAM software for my Kraken x62. Found some posts on reddit having the exact same symptoms and I have now uninstalled NZXT CAM and I'm waiting to see if the crashing stops.

YES! This was it. After removing CAM, I am now using krakenx to control my pump, and it's working great.

Ok, I am puzzled by this issue. ? So far I've had this happen 3-4 times after rebuilding my computer when I bought a new case and cooler.

What happens is:

• all my screens turn to black (but still seeing a connected device, they don't show "no signal" prompts)
  • all fans are still running like normal
  • RGB effects are still on, but frozen in the state at which the freeze happened
  • and in 3/4 cases audio output is silent, but one time it made the classic "looping a very short segment of audio loudly" scaring the crap out of my girlfriend.

It has happened playing The Sims 4 and while watching YouTube, but not while idling.

When it happens, I can't shut off the computer by holding the power button, or by pressing the reset button, so I have to flip the power switch on the PSU.

I have Precision boost and D.O.C.P. enabled, CPU temps are low.

The components:

• Ryzen 2700X
  • Asus Prime X370-Pro
  • 4x8GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz
  • 1070 MSi Gaming-X
  • EVGA Supernova G3 750W
  • NZXT Kraken X62
  • NZXT H440
  • SSD Samsung 850 EVO (Boot)
  • SSD Samsung 840
  • HDD 3TB

Wnc2DQv.png

Check your Ram, CPU, and PSU

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

4 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

i had a similar problem a while back.  turned out to be my HDD.

Interesting. I'm definitely leaning to a hardware fault as I've never encountered that the computer won't react to anything other than cutting power.

I forgot to add this! When I rebuilt my computer, I changed the boot SSD from the 840 to a 850EVO that I had in a MacBook. I cloned the 840 contents to the 850 using Macrium Reflect. After that, Windows 10 shows a prompt that it is a Windows To Go and that I can't "unplug" the drive that To Go is on... ? Maybe this could be related?

this might not do anything,  but you can try cmd.. sfc /scannow. worth a try

20 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

this might not do anything,  but you can try cmd.. sfc /scannow. worth a try

Did the check now, didn't discover anything.?

Running Prime95 now.

6 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

are you OC ?

Only with Precision Boost at auto settings. Newest BIOS for this board.

At full load it's currently at 3.9 GHz and 61C.image.png.8f070e277a2eb95b44d55fa4868b10e0.pngSome of this looks a bit funky but I don't know what it means.

11 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

did you install the latest chipset driver too?

Ooh, I am one update old. Seems like only the version number for VGA and Package has changed, but I updated anyway.

14 minutes ago, NewAndreas said:

It just crashed again?

image.png.1fa259ea366f0838ad90e64dd7b197c8.png

image.png.ae8f2bb053fd4868eaae56ad9a1400eb.png

Maybe I should turn off Precision Boost?

give it go

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so after some more googling when I realized my computer crashed in this when running Asus' Fan Xpert 4 calibration, I started suspecting the NZXT CAM software for my Kraken x62. Found some posts on reddit having the exact same symptoms and I have now uninstalled NZXT CAM and I'm waiting to see if the crashing stops.

YES! This was it. After removing CAM, I am now using krakenx to control my pump, and it's working great.