Has anyone ever used the connected device warranty on a surge protector?

john01dav

Many power strips with surge protectors advertise some sort of warranty on connected devices. For example, this one advertises "LIFETIME WARRANTY, $75,000 INSURANCE: Lifetime Limited Warranty and $75,000 Ultimate Lifetime Insurance covers any connected equipment damaged by a power surge." At first glance, this seems like a very good thing to have, especially in areas where thunderstorms are common, as it seems, again at first glance, like it would make it safe (to the computer at least, assuming data, etc. is backed up) to use a connected computer during a storm. It does, also, however seem a bit too good to be true. As such, I am wondering if anyone has experience with these sorts of warranties (I noticed that a few brands have them), and if I can have any information regarding how well they work, which brands actually follow through without a fight, and any other useful information.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2018 at 3:25 AM, john01dav said:

Many power strips with surge protectors advertise some sort of warranty on connected devices. For example, this one advertises "LIFETIME WARRANTY, $75,000 INSURANCE: Lifetime Limited Warranty and $75,000 Ultimate Lifetime Insurance covers any connected equipment damaged by a power surge." At first glance, this seems like a very good thing to have, especially in areas where thunderstorms are common, as it seems, again at first glance, like it would make it safe (to the computer at least, assuming data, etc. is backed up) to use a connected computer during a storm. It does, also, however seem a bit too good to be true. As such, I am wondering if anyone has experience with these sorts of warranties (I noticed that a few brands have them), and if I can have any information regarding how well they work, which brands actually follow through without a fight, and any other useful information.

Many manufacturers create their products and advertise them with these CEG based warranties. I have never found myself ever needing to use a warranty from a brand of surge protector or UPS before, although sometimes they do include a description or further details sector of their guarantee; such as those from CyberPower and their CP1500AVRLCD UPS unit where their maximum liability is a half a million dollars and they will not pay you the cost to replace your electronics although will give you a used approximation value for your damaged connected equipment. Read a bit further before choosing a surge suppression product on its Connected Equipment Guarantee and make sure that it adequately protects your products with protection which has terms which you can agree with and accept.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch