Anyone have/had an iPod Classic?

l.lawliet31415

I'm found some great deals on iPod classics recently on Taobao which costs anywhere from 90 - 200 CAD

Can someone share their experiences with iPod classics and their potential issues with mechanical hard drives etc..?

Also, the DAC on them shouldn't be much different from ones on the smartphones right? I'm not that worried about the sound quality at the moment, its just that I need more storage for my music library. 

I had several. I wouldn't buy one unless you want a hdd with music. If it falls there are several online tutorials on how to repair them. Still, several years have passed and I wouldn't really buy one unless nostalgic. 

13 hours ago, cesarbg said:

I had several. I wouldn't buy one unless you want a hdd with music. If it falls there are several online tutorials on how to repair them. Still, several years have passed and I wouldn't really buy one unless nostalgic. 

I have fond memories of the iPod Classic and this thing is built like a tank. Sure, you don’t want to drop on concrete...but what device likes being dropped on concrete anyway? 

Keep in mind that the HDD on the iPod is slow as molasses. So if you’re browsing a list of 1000 songs you’ll have to periodically wait for the songs to load as you scroll down. Also, having to use iTunes to transfer music is a major pain. 

These days you may may as well use a smartphone for music. Having expandable storage on a phone is a major plus. 

In your shoes, I would rather buy a Shanling M0 from the headphonebar.com for $150 (cad). Then it’s just a matter of adding an microSD for storage. Compared to the iPod Classic you get far better sound quality due to the fancy DAC. Unfortunately, you won’t get the magical Apple interface and the scroll wheel.