HELP! Which one to buy!? Maybe Lenovo L440 w/i5 4300M

In a rush, gotta buy SOON!

I always try to get the newest products when possible when the price is right. New laptops are expensive! and he does not need much for a laptop for a gift.

Found this one here, scroll on down, its BIG.

Lenovo Grade B Laptop L440 Intel Core i5 4th Gen 4300M, 2.60Ghz-3.3Ghz, 4GB 500GB 14" W10Pro64

Should I buy two or not? I am so tempted.

Lenovo is a good brand, plus its a ThinkPad L-series. Thinkpad is good! So tempted.

2 cores 4 threads boosts to 3.3GHz. Came out in October 2013

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i5_microprocessors#"Haswell-MB"_(dual-core,_22_nm)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkPad_L_series

There are two different builds of the same. One with 128GB SSD, DVDROM, other with just 500GB HDD.

14" is not a deal ender. The i5 with the M donation is good I think because of the extra speed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Business laptop for email, simple and basic internet, tax filing, MS Office (Word, PowerPoint) and PDF, and printing.

Screen size 15"+ the minimum would be 14" Partly used w/ small Ikea desk, won't be used too much. User is an iPad person for personal use. This laptop purchase is for business and the occasional personal use.

Battery Life does not matter much, will be plugged in. If more battery life is required, I would suggest he buy a USB PowerBank or a New Genuine Battery.

Graphics is not a high priority.

Bulkiness does not matter, its a couch laptop, its a small Ikea desk laptop.

Windows 10 is a must, obviously for business it has to be. But if an older OS is available and the price is right, purchase of a legit W10 is an option.

Must be i5 or i7 because I dont want to gamble on if the i3 is sufficient for his needs. Plus my kids might want to play on grandpa's laptop when up at my cabin. The kids are more console gamers, I spend way to much on consoles.

No games

No YT but maybe one every so often but it wont be much if anything running in the background.

I decided to skip on the 7 or 8 gen U cpu at C$450 ASUS Vivobook from Bestbuy. I looked at other retailers for older gen laptops.

People suggest Lenovo ThinkPad.

Here is what I currently have open in my browser from various major retailers like Memory Express, Staples, Best Buy, London Drugs, Visions Electronics, Newegg.ca

Ease of returns, ease of support is the primary reason. Ebay is not an option, except the rare few that are major and local and known to have good return policies and I haven't found nothing. Amazon Canada amazon.ca is an option from Amazon themselves!

I will do another round of searches, the laptops in round dot points are open in my browser right now. The other ones I am not sure where I found those.

$400 Canadian is the comfort zone, $500 is the max

• C$280 Dell Refurbished Latitude E5430 14" Laptop, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5-3230M, 320GB, 4GB DDR3, W10 Home
  • The M cpu seems faster then the U.

• C$375 DELL Refurbished LATITUDE E6420 14-inch Notebook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 2760QM, 500GBHDD, 8GBDDR3, W10 Pro
  • The QM cpu is 4C8T so.

Here is a Lenovo Thinkpad T440 means 14" $350C

Refurbished: Refurbished Lenovo ThinkPad T440 14.0" Intel Core i5-4300U 1.9 GHz 4 GB DDR3 500 GB Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

• $342.99 

Refurbished: DELL Grade B Laptop E5440 Intel Core i5 4th Gen 4300U (1.90 GHz) 8 GB Memory 128 GB SSD 14.0" Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

• $349.99 

Refurbished: Lenovo Grade B Laptop L440 Intel Core i5 4th Gen 4300M (2.60 GHz) 4 GB Memory 500 GB HDD 14.0" Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

• $349.99 

I think that is a good deal, remember thats Canadian dollar cuz its NEWEGG.CA

Here is a good list. Too many to list - filters are i5 and i7 along with Newegg as a seller. 3rd gen cpu is good, not sure if 2nd gen would be good or not. Probably a matter of cpu speed and and cores/threads. All I know is M in the cpu tends to be faster then the U, as usual laptops are not my fortay. This is a good list from Newegg.ca. 3rd gen's are really affordable! I may just buy two.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006741 601286795 601286800 8000&IsNodeId=1&Description=refurbished laptop&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=96

These ones below I do not where I found them, but I am sure they will turn up in my webpage history.

C$320 HP Refurbished PROBOOK 640 G1 14-inch Notebook, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5 4210M, 120GBSSD, 8GBDDR3, W10 Home

C$435 Dell Latitude E6540 i5-4300M 2.6GHz 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Windows10PRO

@GeneXiS_X

@r2724r16

@Slottr

@PopsicleHustler

@Supportsneedlove

@NelizMastr

@JoostinOnline

@TheKDub

@LukeSavenije

@KuJoe

@fasauceome

@mikat

@Sauron

@TheDankKoosh

@sicily428

39 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Battery Life does not matter much, will be plugged in. If more battery life is required, I would suggest he buy a USB PowerBank or a New Genuine Battery.

Graphics is not a high priority.

Bulkiness does not matter, its a couch laptop, its a small Ikea desk laptop.

Windows 10 is a must, obviously for business it has to be. But if an older OS is available and the price is right, purchase of a legit W10 is an option.

Why would you frame this post in such a critical way if your needs are so minimal? just get the cheapest laptop you can with an SSD and an i5

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

It's an honor that you tag me here. But I don't know that much about laptops. But what I do know about them is where they can be used for. All of these laptops will work for what you want to do with it, as long as you get the ssd versions of course. I use my second hand acer travelmate with a 2330m (about equivelent to the 5005u in most tasks), so you should probebly be fine too. So i3's would do, but i5's work pretty nice in excel as excel scales pretty well (5,4 to 6 cores)

I'd shoot for any of them with an i5 or greater, even if it doesnt have an SSD, just swap out the drive for one.

Size of drive I wouldn't worry about either, my laptop for school and work has a 128gb ssd and it's big enough for a large amount of huge excel spreadsheets, power points etc. + the adobe creative cloud apps.

Out of all the ones you listed I'd probably shoot for that refurb E5440

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

I don't know anything about the Dells.

Avoid the HP 8470p because the screen, battery, performance, heat, and noise are pretty awful. I used one for work for almost 3 years, if it wasn't for the docking station and extra monitors I would have quit.

I don't know anything about the Lenovo L440 but it's a Lenovo so I know two things about it, the keyboard will be nice and it's going to last.

The Lenovo Thinkpad is a good deal at $350 CAD with the SSD and 8GB of RAM. I know people still using old Thinkpads, I think Louis Rossman still uses a really old Thinkpad even though he's got access to basically any laptop he wants.

-KuJoe

Things have changed a bit, we went out to the stores and compared the 15.6" to the 17.3"

They found the 17.3" would require no additional monitor at the mini Ikea desk.

They were impressed with the 15.6" but did not like the 14" sizes.

All understandable.

Looking around at prices, the 17.3" is a jump in price all across selection of stores.

Could go with 2nd gen intel and 17.3" but I have to recalibrate my brain now and re search my go to stores.

I think the 3rd gen intel is a sweet spot for price.

I understand why the 14" laptops are super cheap.

The 14" is too small for couch work doing taxes and powerpoint.

Good for traveling and to lug around, however use with a monitor helps at the desk.

15.6" and 17.3" are now on my radar.

For your information, this person will not even flinch at spending $1000 on a laptop for the use I described.

I often times have to tell them the truth about their purchase decisions. Happens all too often. Its just apart of our relation, grandfather, father and son. Me having sons myself, but in that scenario I am the youngest, even though I am considered a geezer by many a young-uns, even Linus.

I will do a "re" search not research but it is, and repost in this thread.

I was not even in the market for a laptop, but some of the deals are pretty good. Depends on needs. Too bad, I was already to buy that 14" for 70yr old father. No big deal.

1 hour ago, fasauceome said:

This purchase is not for me, but for family. I know needs are minimal but I know nothing about laptops, their cpu's are even different in cores/threads then desktop. Normally I would go for cheapest, but this is an area where it should last 10 years of business work. Sorry about framing my post in a critical manner, its just lack of sleep, lack of food, and working way too hard for way to long last couple days. Thanks for your input.

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

? I know, I just skimmed the laptop section for users from threads with lots of post counts, figured they'd know what they are talking about. The SSD issue does not matter, can purchase anytime, same goes for ram. I know ideally its nice to have SSD and 8GB of ram but its not a deal breaker. There is some news on the requirements I will post at the beginning of this post. I tend to stay away from Acer, just habit I guess. Thanks for replying.

1 hour ago, Slottr said:

Dell E5540 is i5 4300U, so a bit slower at 1.9Ghz with a Turbo of 2.9GHz, not sure if that matters or not, and its a Dell. I can see your logical reasonings behind that choice, newer 4th gen i5 cpu, 8GB memory and the 128GB ssd. I will ponder it tyvm for your input.

1 hour ago, KuJoe said:

I have no idea whom Louis Rossman is. Some of highly recommended the Lenovo Thinkpad series of laptops. Like I said previously I know Lenovo is good. Thanks for responding.

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

This purchase is not for me, but for family. I know needs are minimal but I know nothing about laptops, their cpu's are even different in cores/threads then desktop. Normally I would go for cheapest, but this is an area where it should last 10 years of business work.

In that case the cheapest one with an i7 and an SSD should do. I think the $600 price range has the best offerings for that sort of thing.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

I have no idea whom Louis Rossman is

A youtuber that's shows a lot of repairs and has a local repair shop. 

10 years for business work? Almost no laptop can hold that long. I would recommend to get something like that thinkpad, and buy a new one. Most laptops are getting their first shortcomings around that time. 

Tho I have to add that my travelmate has been used from 2011 to 2015/16 for office work, and now me for school. But I swapped the momory, soon the hdd and battery, and changed the wifi adapter

Edited by LukeSavenije

2 hours ago, Canada EH said:

I'd go for this laptop, even if it doesn't have the greatest specs (although I would add a cheap SSD).

ThinkPads are really rugged and have great keyboards, it's my favourite laptop. 4GB of RAM is enough for Chrome and MS Word, and the laptop can do just about everything that you want it to do (as mentioned above).

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Narrowed it down, based on price to

15.6" screen size

Intel i5

Brands

#1 - Lenovo Thinkpad

#2 - The rest, HP, Dell

31 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

In that case the cheapest one with an i7 and an SSD should do. I think the $600 price range has the best offerings for that sort of thing.

i7 and 17.3" seem to be the price jumps. I have looked and decided on buying him a 15.6". Slowly narrowing the options. i5-3320M 2.6-3.3, 3MB,4GB,1TB HP elite book just under 4 bills Canadian 375. Though nothing jumps out at the moment. Filtered down to Lenovo, 15.6", lots of i5-520M's and 2520M's for 3 bills to C$350. Gotta do the price jungling act for the ram on each, and storage. Thats what I got now. Will keep you posted, thanks for the help.

28 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

A youtuber that's shows a lot of repairs and has a local repair shop. 

10 years for business work? Almost no laptop can hold that long. I would recommend to get something like that thinkpad, and buy a new one. Most laptops are getting their first shortcomings around that time. 

Tho I have to add that my travelmate has been used from 2011 to 2015/16 for office work, and now me for school. But I swapped the momory, soon the hdd and battery, and changed the wifi adapter

Ah I know whom you speak of, Yeah I like his "lab", he has got that Bronx accent. Good vlogger he is.

OK 10 yrs, ideally, 5 yrs more realistic. Basic use. I am leaning towards Lenovo and 15.6" is the screen size based on price. $300-$450 depending.

Just now, r2724r16 said:

I'd go for this laptop, even if it doesn't have the greatest specs

Yeah I know, not too sure why I am turned off by the U designating slower speed, it is newer.

Unfortunately 14" is far too small, even for lazy couch business work. Older people have not so good eyesight either.

15.6" is the way to go, based on price alone.

Also i5 is a good value.

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

OK 10 yrs, ideally, 5 yrs more realistic. Basic use. I am leaning towards Lenovo and 15.6" is the screen size based on price. $300-$450 depending.

Althrough I have had some back luck with lenovo I do like the thinkpads. My ideapad broke after 1,5 years of school work, motherboard, cpu cooler, touchscreen, touchpad all broke by doing just normal use. The second one was damaged on the chassis and returned it because I had a insurence on it (luckily on the first one too), but they accidentally destroyed it. So I went back to an old travelmate for that reason. So one advice I give you: never do work with a plastic chassis laptop

I just found something.

The i5 4100U  has no turbo, ah I see I been fooled, its an i3 hahahahahahahaha ?

the 4300U does, 1.90 to 2.90Ghz 2C4T, 3MB, 16Gb 1300+, HD4400

I must say I am in the zone right now.

The Zone juice ?

Narrowed it down

#1 Choice -------------------> Lenovo Thinkpad T520 i5-2520M 2.5-3.3, 4gb, 1066+, hd3000, 320GBHDD C$302

Possible improvements, another 4GB, that is about it! Cost is C$30!

Any of these I guess *shrug* ?

Would passout next to 8GB but its a very close tossup.

HP Elitebook 8570P i5-3329M 2.6-33Ghz 4GB 1333+ HD4000 C$330

Dell Lattitude e5530 i5-3210M 8GB!1333+ 2.50-3.10GHz, HD4000 C$375

Yeah its newer, I guess. Turbo's a tad slower, like it matters right!?!?!?!???

Dell Lattiture E5540 i5-4300U 1.90-2.90GHz 4GB 1333+, HD4400 C$430

You know when I got 12 pages printed out of laptops with written notes, the cc is awaiting the digits.

@Droidbot

Purchased a HP Notebook i5-7200U 2x8GB W10 Home 64 bit and 17.3" screen for C$549.99

Good savings over-all, got some shitty all in one printer for $30, just a Bestbuy "deal" hahahahahaha its the ink, and the scam, automatic payment for ink hahahahahaha will see if there is generic ink available. Usual "warranty" they push, worked out to half the price of the laptop. The biggest thing was getting the 17.3" so didnt have to buy a cheap monitor. And of course the 16GB of ram is a big bonus.

First time using W10, wide open settings on everything. Not a fan of it right off the bat, but its not mine. Are the W10 keys all numbers now?

Going over the unit carefully now, seeing if I can scope anything out.

Oh my goodness this formatting.

I recommend a refurbished thinkpad x220, they're cheap and you can get them with an ssd, 8gb of ram and an ips screen (I'd definitely recommend getting the ips screen and the ssd if at all possible)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*