What headphones to get for 150-200 USD

Ben3608

Ok so I want to get a new headset. I have a pc363 and they aren't bad but they are getting kinda old and the mic isn't that great anymore and there is one huge problem. It is open back and I hate it. I know that audiophiles are always saying open back is so superior however when you live in a house with a ton of siblings that are constantly yelling its awful. So this brings me to my point, I am trying to find a good headset for gaming however I know that "gaming" headsets are usually over rated and over priced so I want help from you guys. I can get a standalone mic if I need too I would like to keep the price down to 150 and would love a mic with it but that doesn't have to happen. It really needs to be closed back though I need noise reduction my family is super duper loud. I have tried to do research it's just so hard because you can hear what someone recommends but you can't hear the headset for yourself and when I find one that I think is perfect for me people talk about how flat the audio is and how terrible it is for listening to foot steps and I play CSGO and Rainbow 6 so I need to be able to hear foot steps well. Like I said I want it to stay around 150 if there is one for 200 that is worth the extra 50 I can stretch it. 

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01JP436TS/ref=twister_B077YBTRTB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

with a mod mic or a blue snowball as the mic would likely be best and within your budget.

I have a pair of open back 598's in addition to HD 6xx's, and while the 6xx's are a lot better, they cost more. You can get them on massdrop for 200 which is the best deal under 400 bucks EASILY in the headphone market, but they are also open back.... and you will need to add 50 bucks for a mod mic or blue snowball.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

I personally have the SteelSeries Arctis 7 as my main gaming headset for $150. And I have to say the mic quality is phenomenal for a gaming headset and it's the first gaming headset to be certified HD. I bought my headset for $100 refurbished.  

16 minutes ago, {EAC} Shoot em UP said:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01JP436TS/ref=twister_B077YBTRTB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

with a mod mic or a blue snowball as the mic would likely be best and within your budget.

I have a pair of open back 598's in addition to HD 6xx's, and while the 6xx's are a lot better, they cost more. You can get them on massdrop for 200 which is the best deal under 400 bucks EASILY in the headphone market, but they are also open back.... and you will need to add 50 bucks for a mod mic or blue snowball.

Thank you for your time. Just a few questions will I have good directional sound in these and also is there any difference if I spent like 70 dollars more or like 50 more? 

Just now, TheMarsMartian said:

I personally have the SteelSeries Arctis 7 as my main gaming headset for $150. And I have to say the mic quality is phenomenal for a gaming headset and it's the first gaming headset to be certified HD. I bought my headset for $100 refurbished.  

Also would I need a DAC or AMP?

Just now, Ben3608 said:

Also would I need a DAC or AMP?

no the Arctis 7 is a 2.4 ghz wireless headset and comes with the receiver that you plug into the pc and download the SteelSeries engine

7 minutes ago, TheMarsMartian said:

no the Arctis 7 is a 2.4 ghz wireless headset and comes with the receiver that you plug into the pc and download the SteelSeries engine

So I guess I am not sure should I get a gaming headset or go the audiophile route?

26 minutes ago, {EAC} Shoot em UP said:

12 minutes ago, Ben3608 said:

Thank you for your time. Just a few questions will I have good directional sound in these and also is there any difference if I spent like 70 dollars more or like 50 more? 

I don't know for sure. I don't have a pair and don't know much about them beyond "they are a good set of headphones" and the fact I have their open backed counterpart and enjoy them for gaming. I don't use them for music anymore, just plugged into one of my PC's for gaming. Beyond that, can't help you much, sorry :/

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

25 minutes ago, {EAC} Shoot em UP said:

I don't know for sure. I don't have a pair and don't know much about them beyond "they are a good set of headphones" and the fact I have their open backed counterpart and enjoy them for gaming. I don't use them for music anymore, just plugged into one of my PC's for gaming. Beyond that, can't help you much, sorry :/

Just wondering is there a reason you don't use them for music? I kinda of want an all around good headset thank you for your help though!

1 minute ago, Ben3608 said:

Just wondering is there a reason you don't use them for music? I kinda of want an all around good headset thank you for your help though!

Cuz I have a pair of sennheiser 6xx's and Fostex TR-X00's haha. I enjoyed the 598's a lot, but I have just upgraded my gear since I got them.....

9 minutes ago, {EAC} Shoot em UP said:

Cuz I have a pair of sennheiser 6xx's and Fostex TR-X00's haha. I enjoyed the 598's a lot, but I have just upgraded my gear since I got them.....

Just wondering what about something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DCB1DJH/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1 ? It comes with an amp I just dont know about how it would be in gaming? Audio stuff is so hard :(

Just now, Ben3608 said:

Just wondering what about something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DCB1DJH/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1 ? It comes with an amp I just dont know about how it would be in gaming? Audio stuff is so hard :(

Hmm, thats interesting. The 280 pro's are decent, but a step down from 598's. But Fiio does make decent little dac and amp's.

Hard to say.... 

My brother had a pair of 280, so I have heard them first hand. They are a fine headphone, but a bit on the heavy side, and just not as good at the 598's or obviously 6xx's. But 6xx's are only open back, so even though they can be had for 200 new, likely won't work out for you :/

Just now, {EAC} Shoot em UP said:

My brother had a pair of 280, so I have heard them first hand. They are a fine headphone, but a bit on the heavy side, and just not as good at the 598's or obviously 6xx's. But 6xx's are only open back, so even though they can be had for 200 new, likely won't work out for you :/

Ok I wasn't sure they were more expensive so I assumed better. If you see any other good head sets for under 200 tell me. Also I heard that the new razer head sets are super cool Ik they are known for being over priced but apparently they are really immersive?

5 hours ago, {EAC} Shoot em UP said:

But Fiio does make decent little dac and amp's.

I wonder which ones cause the E10K is barely better than OK motherboard ( tested them w/ 4XX and 598SR, can't tell any difference in sound quality it just gives more power or maybe i just had good source to begin with ). 

Ben3608 DT 770 Pro 250Ohm / 80Ohm + cheap DAC/AMP + Separate mic is a safe bet imo for the best sound/comfort/isolation guarantee, many gaming headsets thats closed usually don't even have that good isolation ( the last one i had was like 20$ ones, and the open back 598 had 2x better isolation ). 

DAC/AMP w/ Mic input ( Ugly but does the job :D )

Also stay away from Razer, only bad reviews in the last couple of years. There's ofcourse some cool features they bring, but how long it will satisfy you ? 3 days, 1 week till u get bored of that? And then u will be left with mediocore sound.

9 hours ago, Exaco said:

I wonder which ones cause the E10K is barely better than OK motherboard ( tested them w/ 4XX and 598SR, can't tell any difference in sound quality it just gives more power or maybe i just had good source to begin with ). 

Ben3608 DT 770 Pro 250Ohm / 80Ohm + cheap DAC/AMP + Separate mic is a safe bet imo for the best sound/comfort/isolation guarantee, many gaming headsets thats closed usually don't even have that good isolation ( the last one i had was like 20$ ones, and the open back 598 had 2x better isolation ). 

DAC/AMP w/ Mic input ( Ugly but does the job :D )

Also stay away from Razer, only bad reviews in the last couple of years. There's ofcourse some cool features they bring, but how long it will satisfy you ? 3 days, 1 week till u get bored of that? And then u will be left with mediocore sound.

So the Dt 770 is gonna block out noise better? I was looking at these and I wasn't sure. So these will be better at blocking out noise than the 598cs and sound better?

55 minutes ago, Ben3608 said:

So the Dt 770 is gonna block out noise better? I was looking at these and I wasn't sure. So these will be better at blocking out noise than the 598cs and sound better?

Well, i did once an ghetto test w/ 598, i basically put a isolation tape on the grill ( was curious how approx the 598CS would sound ) and it blocked the sound pretty OK, but the sound quality was like 2 times worse compared to open back for music, however not that bad for gaming. 

Based on rtings measurements the 598CS should be better option ( Left is 598CS and right is 770 ).
Soundstage is the same, but on 598CS imaging is better.
0fbe398e4f02075ac5d8ad9457792ff9.png

Also have you considered the Sennheisr G4ME Zero ( don't get fooled by the discount, they were never above 180$ )? It should be around the same just with mic ( if im correct it uses 558 drivers which is also same as 598 ). 

7 minutes ago, Exaco said:

Well, i did once an ghetto test w/ 598, i basically put a isolation tape on the grill ( was curious how approx the 598CS would sound ) and it blocked the sound pretty OK, but the sound quality was like 2 times worse compared to open back for music, however not that bad for gaming. 

Based on rtings measurements the 598CS should be better option ( Left is 598CS and right is 770 ).

Also have you considered the Sennheisr G4ME Zero ( don't get fooled by the discount, they were never above 180$ )? It should be around the same just with mic ( if im correct it uses 558 drivers which is also same as 598 ). 

So overall what sounds better the DT 770 or the 598 CS because I want to use them both for gaming and some music listening? I think I might go with the 598cs because they are cheaper and dont need and amp but if they DT 770s are that much better I will but I am looking at the comparison on RTings and it looks like the CS is overall better?

10 minutes ago, Exaco said:

And so I am not an audiophile but like when you mean two times worse are they terrible for music ? like if I tried to listen to music in them would I hate it?

10 minutes ago, Ben3608 said:

And so I am not an audiophile but like when you mean two times worse are they terrible for music ? like if I tried to listen to music in them would I hate it?

Well it was still OK and probably good for average person, but the difference was basically in how natural/live they sound, probs in the closed back versions Sennheiser tweaked something to sound better. That's in general what you sacrifice with getting closed headphones over open ones.
P.S. I have sensitivity to ear air pressure changes, that might also affected the sound. ( basically when i put closed headphones on i hear whooshing/rushing sound or sensation its like being underwater ).

Open is always better in terms of sound quality.

I'm surprised nobodys mentioned hyperx here. The clouds and the alpha are within your price range and definitely don't sound god awful like some gaming headsets. I still own my original clouds and even though I don't use them anymore since I prefer the open backed sennheiser sound, they do block out a lot of noise and sound pretty decent especially if you enjoy deep bass. They aren't an audiophile headphone but they do get a recommendation from Linus and a bunch of other people as an affordable gaming headset that doesn't sound like garbage. They also come with a detachable decent mic and the clouds I believe cost around $100 with the alpha being a little higher.

5 minutes ago, Exaco said:

Well it was still OK and probably good for average person, but the difference was basically in how natural/live they sound, probs in the closed back versions Sennheiser tweaked something to sound better. That's in general what you sacrifice with getting closed headphones over open ones.
P.S. I have sensitivity to ear air pressure changes, that might also affected the sound. ( basically when i put closed headphones on i hear whoosing/rushing sound or sensation its like being underwater ).

Open is always better in terms of sound quality.

So if I get the dt 770 or the h598cs it will sound about the same since they are closed back?

1 minute ago, kevinisbeast707 said:

I'm surprised nobodys mentioned hyperx here. The clouds and the alpha are within your price range and definitely don't sound god awful like some gaming headsets. I still own my original clouds and even though I don't use them anymore since I prefer the open backed sennheiser sound, they do block out a lot of noise and sound pretty decent especially if you enjoy deep bass. They aren't an audiophile headphone but they do get a recommendation from Linus and a bunch of other people as an affordable gaming headset that doesn't sound like garbage. They also come with a detachable decent mic and the clouds I believe cost around $100 with the alpha being a little higher.

My brother has them they aren't bad but I would much rather spend some more money and get something nicer but I agree great bang for your buck with them.

There are always the dekoni blues which are unbelievably comfortable and use planar drivers which are hard to drive correctly and they're about as sealing as the dt770 would be. With that said I've also heard that you either like their sound signature or you don't and I've never heard them so... Dt770 are like the clouds bigger better brother.

Yeah, DT 770 > any cloud. 
Cloud Alpha should be alot better compared to Cloud 2, but both has pretty poor upper end and lows bleeding into mids ( maybe for non audiophile or whatever it makes not much sense, but it still adds to the overall experience even for avg user ).

Also i've never heard the DT770 sound sig :D But i know that HD 5XX series is really enjoyable to the point you can easily fall in love with + still reproduces the sound well. 
My friend had Corsair Void, he wanted an upgrade, i convinced him to get the 598SR, after he got them and used for a while i asked him to rate how Void compares to it and he rated the void like 1/10.

About Dekoni Blues that could be good option too, i use Planars atm too and i love the accuracy/speed of it especially in FPS gaming.