NIC Teaming Windows 10 (Works)

Noob question: combining 10G with 1G NIC wouldn't give me much in terms of throughput, and would actually worsen things, would'nt it?

Cause I just tried the methode from this thread last night, and both iperf3'ing my router and an automated backup task to my NAS were *much* slower.

• 1 month later...

You won't see a benefit from single file copies or streaming.  They'll be maxed out at the individual element speed on your bonded LACP connection.  So bonding or setting up a LAG on 5x 1Gb connections will only max out at 1Gb for a single copy.  SMB Multichannel is a finnicky beast and may or may not take advantage of multiple lanes, but it depends on how/what you're copying.

Think of it this way; setting up an 802.3ad LAG/LACP connection is like expanding lanes on a highway.  It doesn't govern how fast each car can go (that's the speed limit or the max speed of the cars), but it does allow more cars/transfers/connections to happen simultaneously.

So if you're copying a multi-terabyte file on your NAS, and simultaneously copying a file to a different client PC, and playing video from your Plex server at full 4k HDR quality with directplay at possibly 50+Mbs then a Bonded LAG has a better chance of being full speed amongst all three tasks at the same time but none of the different tasks by themselves will go past the speed of individual connections in the bond (whether that be 1Gb or 10Gb Ethernet connections).

• 1 month later...

Currently when I "Get-NetAdapter" I see my teamed nic with a link speed of 4Gbps(I combined 4 ports), but it doesn't get any ip from a dhcp server but when I give it a static ip I can iperf my freenas server though it caps my connection speed at 1gbps, tried even iperfing 2 servers at same time it still ends up dividing the bandwidth between the 2 speed tests. Any idea on what i should do? If i put my ports on the switch in lacp still nothing(didn't try link aggregation static yet). 

16 hours ago, luffy.d.roger said:

Currently when I "Get-NetAdapter" I see my teamed nic with a link speed of 4Gbps(I combined 4 ports), but it doesn't get any ip from a dhcp server but when I give it a static ip I can iperf my freenas server though it caps my connection speed at 1gbps, tried even iperfing 2 servers at same time it still ends up dividing the bandwidth between the 2 speed tests. Any idea on what i should do? If i put my ports on the switch in lacp still nothing(didn't try link aggregation static yet). 

Small update, i got it to work through the original method from the first post. even though i see a 4gbps connection when i transfer files it still caps of at 1gbps. 

• 5 months later...

I am trying to bond 2 internet connections as one has a decent download but very poor upload and the second one is the exact opposite.

I don't get any response from whatever line I attach to my second network card. Any tips?

NIC.thumb.JPG.db1f93554ca7eddb3dbadcb9a3d786a0.JPG

• 2 months later...
On 12/4/2018 at 8:26 AM, PaulVarghese said:

Hi Guys, 

So I was able to enable teaming of multiple NIC cards by typing in the following command in Windows PowerShell.

This command was implemented on a Windows 10 Pro 1809 Build (x64bit).

The command I used was as follows:

New-NetSwitchTeam -Name "SwitchTeam01" -TeamMembers "Ethernet","Ethernet 2", "Ethernet 3"

Where I replaced "SwitchTeam01" with a name that refers to the teaming of multiple NIC cards and replaced: "Ethernet", "Ethernet 2" etc... with the name of my NIC's as seen on "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections". 

Previously I tried the following commands: 

New-NetLbfoTeam -Name "Team1" -TeamMembers "NIC1","NIC2"

New-NetLbfoTeam -Name "Team1" -TeamMembers "NIC1","NIC2" -TeamingMode LACP

But wasn't able to implement the NIC teaming within the cards as I would constantly receive the following error: 

New-NetLbfoTeam : The LBFO feature is not currently enabled, or LBFO is not supported on this SKU.
At line:1 char:1
+ New-NetLbfoTeam
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (MSFT_NetLbfoTeam:root/StandardCimv2/MSFT_NetLbfoTeam) [New-NetLbfoTeam],
   CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MI RESULT 1,New-NetLbfoTeam

Form this I understood that LBFO is not supported in "Windows 10 SKU" but only in "Windows Server". 

Another way to enable NIC Teaming could be to use the "Intel Network Connections Application" and enable Teaming. Unfortunately since I do not have a Intel Network Card this option wast possible for me to test out. 

Since I have a Realteck NIC I first uninstalled the drivers and then reinstalled the NIC's with the latest drivers form Realteck. 

Next I checked out the Network Properties of my NIC cards and made sure that "Realtek Teaming Protocol Driver (NDIS 6.40)" was installed. 

After this was done I executed the above mentioned command in Power Shell which in turn resulted in the creation of my Teamed NIC Adapter to be visible in "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections". 

Finally the end result of this was that I was able to create on "Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Driver" Adapter that was able to connect to all my other NIC cards at the same time and hence enabling me to have a solid 3Gb/s internet connection. 

Teaming.png.18995eaeb9442eff0f99e3d679b336fc.png

* Do note that I have removed my DNS name and IPv4 & IPv6 address as I do not want to make that info public but if you carry out the same steps as mentioned above you should end up with the same result. Also note that the box marked in "red" show the network connection speed of the network adapter. 

• This newly created network adapter can then be used for your VM in Hyper-V also. 
  • This will also enable for you to have one static IP address for all your NIC's.
  • Although If you'd prefer to have different static IP addresses for each NIC then its better that you do not follow the above mentioned steps as you will not be able to set individual IP-addressees for each card. 

I have been trying to get this to work all week.  I have 3 Realtek and finally have the 3GB connection.  I recently bought a Netgear Smart Switch that will support LACP because I read it was necessary.  Do I still need to configure this to work as Linked Aggregated Connection in my switch?  Thanks!!!

This thread is from 2018, and the OP hasn't been back to the forums since 2019. If you need help create a new thread.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450