VR.

LukeNukem9
Go to solution Solved by GreenMEME,
On 12/4/2018 at 7:32 AM, LukeTheCoder05 said:

should i get Windows Mixed Reality? (WMR) My PC is capable and i dont want to spend a arm and a leg for oculas or rift.

yes, it works just fine, is more portable, and you dont need to charge the controllers (the use AA) some people say the tracking is bad but ive never noticed. even if its not supported on steam games it will most likely work, its controllers are just like a vive wand but shaped differently and have a thumb stick. it was a great purchase for me and im sure it will be for you too!

should i get Windows Mixed Reality? (WMR) My PC is capable and i dont want to spend a arm and a leg for oculas or rift.

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

If you want cheaper VR get an Oculus Go. They are self contained VR units not requiring a PC and they are great. Or get a used PS4 and PSVR. PSVR is better for like AAA gaming whereas Oculus Go is more mobile style games and YouTube and stuff like that

PC: Ryzen 7 2700 | RX 5700 XT | Asus Prime B450-PLUS | CoolerMaster Masterwatt 600W | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM | 512GB NVME SSD & 7TB combined HDD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and WIndows 10 Pro x64

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" 2015 | i7-4870HQ | R9 M370X | 16gb | 1tb SSD

iPhone 13 Pro Max | 256GB | iOS 15.7

My Folding Stats | #MuricaParrotGang

1 minute ago, josbeph83 said:

If you want cheaper VR get an Oculus Go. They are self contained VR units not requiring a PC and they are great. Or get a used PS4 and PSVR. PSVR is better for like AAA gaming whereas Oculus Go is more mobile style games and YouTube and stuff like that

I dont want a standalone unit. i would like to play steam games and what-not

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

Just now, Dubious Gaming: bl4z3 said:

I dont want a standalone unit. i would like to play steam games and what-not

Ok I would say save up for a Vive they are better than Rifts and WMR

PC: Ryzen 7 2700 | RX 5700 XT | Asus Prime B450-PLUS | CoolerMaster Masterwatt 600W | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM | 512GB NVME SSD & 7TB combined HDD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and WIndows 10 Pro x64

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" 2015 | i7-4870HQ | R9 M370X | 16gb | 1tb SSD

iPhone 13 Pro Max | 256GB | iOS 15.7

My Folding Stats | #MuricaParrotGang

5 minutes ago, Dubious Gaming: bl4z3 said:

If you hope to game than no, VR really is a gimmick but if you want to actually try games with it you can't really cheap up there, the lower end stuff will be awful and probably make you dizzy/nauseated.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, josbeph83 said:

Nah, Oculus Rift is not worse than Vive at all, Vive is better at some things, but Rift is better on others (like being much more comfortable)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Having used both the Vive and the Rift, I'll buy another Rift before I buy another Vive. The only benefit the Vive has over the Rift is the tracking distance which is only useful if plan on using a space bigger than a 30'x30'. The controllers alone make the Rift worth it, in addition to them being lighter and more natural feeling in your hands they also have removable batteries so you don't have to stop playing games if one controller dies like the Vive.

-KuJoe

1 hour ago, josbeph83 said:

I have a Vive, and a friend of mine has a Rift. I envy the controllers and the fact that the Rift's outside is made of breathing fabric.

I only have the regular strap on my Vive, and it's much more cumbersome to take on and off compared to the Rift.

I don't know about the Windows headsets, but they probably made a lot more sense before the Rift got cheaper. But I am intrigued by how you supposedly can just plug them in and put them on, unlike both the Vive and the Rift which require you to set up and calibrate some sensors first.

Vive has:

Great tracking accuracy and distance

Great wireless solution (expensive and PCIe card drivers can be an issue on on Ryzen mobos. Can't install PCIe card in laptops)

Better controllers for simulating a gun or sword

Better add-on support with the tracker pucks if your a dev/tinkerer

On Par Comfort if you get the deluxe audio strap with headphones (costs extra)

Horrible customer support if you have to deal with HTC directly

Excessive sweat can damage the HMD causing you to have to deal with customer support.

Rift has:

Cheaper price.

Good comfort out of the box with headphones.

Better controllers for simulating hands.

Good Included games with native access to Oculus store

Worse God rays.

Recommend extra 3rd sensor for room scale (can make 2 sensor room scale setup work but tracking may be an issue)

WMR has:

Cheapest price

Easier setup but requires windows 10 and a USB Bluetooth dongle unless you have it built into laptop/mobo (new Oddessey + should have BT built into headset)

Only Samsung Oddessy and Oddessy + have built in mic/speakers into headset rest will need separate headset

Best visual quality on Samsung Oddessy and Oddessy + (same or better than Vive Pro which costs way more)

Decent visual quality on other brands

Worse tracking (required good amount of light in play space and contrasting elements on walls for cameras to track)

Worst controllers. They are functional but I find them the least comfortable to hold and due to the front facing cameras they will loose tracking if placed behind head or back) 

If you have a lot of space and are playing mostly Room Scale games go Vive (or Vive Pro if your a big spender)

If you're doing mostly cockpit games (racing, space, flying) or want something super portable go WMR with Samsung being the best quality option.

If you want best all around bang for your buck and don't mind supporting facebook go Oculus Rift.

Keep in mind there are some other headsets on the horizon.

Pimax 5K+/8K Much Larger FOV and Much higher resolution, uses same tracking as Vive, but expensive and you'll need a 1080ti minimum. Slow production means don't expect to get one any time soon at their current production rate.

Valve has leaked images of a new headset but no ETA on release

Oculus is rumored to be releasing an updated version of the Rift but again no ETA on release.

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2018 at 7:32 AM, LukeTheCoder05 said:

yes, it works just fine, is more portable, and you dont need to charge the controllers (the use AA) some people say the tracking is bad but ive never noticed. even if its not supported on steam games it will most likely work, its controllers are just like a vive wand but shaped differently and have a thumb stick. it was a great purchase for me and im sure it will be for you too!

I highly suggest you go to some stores and demo them.

Thats what i did when i was shopping for VR.

Check out what local shops have demos setup. Here in NY, the Microsoft stores and some Best Buys do have them setup.

Try before buying for sure!

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor