So recently I just upgraded my rig from a gtx 970 to a 1080ti. This is the rig:

i5 4670k @3.5ghz

H100i cooler

ASUS Maximus VI Formula

16gb Ram (4x4)

MSI DUKE 1080ti

2x 250gb Samsung 850 evo in raid 0

Monitor 1440p 144hz

So I really cannot understand why I'm getting the same amount of fps with my 1080ti as my gtx 970. I was getting 130 fps average with some wild dips frequently on my 970 with low settings and even with the 1080ti on low settings my frames are just about the same with not so frequent but noticeable frame dips. Is this normal or bad? Should I be concerned? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your CPU isn't exactly powerful. The 970 was already a bit on the edge in terms of bottlenecking apparently. 

You can partially alleviate the bottleneck by doing what that CPU was meant for: overclocking.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

probably a cpu bottleneck. i've got an i5 7400, which is about the same as your cpu (maybe a little slower) and a gtx 690, and i limit my system to 60fps, and the cpu is almost maxed out. 

so i would imagine if you are pushing 144fps or more it would bottleneck you... 

She/Her

3 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Your CPU isn't exactly powerful. The 970 was already a bit on the edge in terms of bottlenecking apparently. 

You can partially alleviate the bottleneck by doing what that CPU was meant for: overclocking.

Hmm I see. That would make a lot more sense. Would buying a new motherboard be necessary for upgrading to a better cpu be neccesary if overclocking my cpu doesn't end up working? I'm still new to pc building so I have no clue if there are better cpu by intel that support lga 115x motherboards.

I'm guessing that your processor is the bottleneck in this situation. 

I'm sure my CPU is at the limit of what it can do in Overwatch, but at 1440p, my 1080 Ti hits a maximum average of around 230 FPS, and I keep it locked at a consistent 195 FPS. This is paired with an R7 2700X at stock settings.

4 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

I mean yea, but OP is running the original Heatwell, not the updated Devil's Canyon, so that's easier said than done.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

2 minutes ago, yangster1997 said:

Hmm I see. That would make a lot more sense. Would buying a new motherboard be necessary for upgrading to a better cpu be neccesary if overclocking my cpu doesn't end up working? I'm still new to pc building so I have no clue if there are better cpu by intel that support lga 115x motherboards.

No, your current motherboard is more than completely unreasonable for overclocking. Here's a guide from Overclock.net on overclocking Haswell processors, just keep in mind that your processor specifically is going to hit thermal limits pretty quickly.

3 minutes ago, Suika said:

I'm guessing that your processor is the bottleneck in this situation. 

I'm sure my CPU is at the limit of what it can do in Overwatch, but at 1440p, my 1080 Ti hits a maximum average of around 230 FPS, and I keep it locked at a consistent 195 FPS. This is paired with an R7 2700X at stock settings.

I mean yea, but OP is running the original Heatwell, not the updated Devil's Canyon, so that's easier said than done.

Would upgrading the cpu affect my motherboard? I'm afraid that I would have to upgrade motherboard if I upgrade cpu. I honestly just need a pc thats good with games and can stream on my other 1080p 60hz monitor. I don't exactly have to run them both at the same time but that would prob be the most I would demand out of my pc. Im not even sure if my motherboard because it is kind of old now would have any newer or more powerful cpus that I could upgrade to.

2 minutes ago, Suika said:

Devil's Canyon arguably overclocked worse. I had a 4670K and a 4690K and the latter wouldn't go past 4GHz while the former sat comfortably at 4.3 with less voltage. I also see

plenty of 4770Ks push past 4790Ks that become temp constrained so damn quick.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, yangster1997 said:

Would upgrading the cpu affect my motherboard? I'm afraid that I would have to upgrade motherboard if I upgrade cpu. I honestly just need a pc thats good with games and can stream on my other 1080p 60hz monitor. I don't exactly have to run them both at the same time but that would prob be the most I would demand out of my pc.

You would only need to replace your motherboard (and by extension, RAM) if you upgrade to a new Intel or AMD processor. If you stick with your motherboard, you could find another processor to slot in that'd be an improvement. You could find an i7-4790k and get a nice frequency and thread count bump.

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

Devil's Canyon arguably overclocked worse. I had a 4670K and a 4690K and the latter wouldn't go past 4GHz while the former sat comfortably at 4.3 with less voltage. I also see

plenty of 4770Ks push past 4790Ks that become temp constrained so damn quick.

I'm only personally familiar with a 4790k that did very well for itself, with my daily on it being 4.6GHz @ 1.2v, I've just been told that Devil's Canyon was identical to Haswell but performed significantly worse thermally.

9 minutes ago, Suika said:

You would only need to replace your motherboard (and by extension, RAM) if you upgrade to a new Intel or AMD processor. If you stick with your motherboard, you could find another processor to slot in that'd be an improvement. You could find an i7-4790k and get a nice frequency and thread count bump.

I'm only personally familiar with a 4790k that did very well for itself, with my daily on it being 4.6GHz @ 1.2v, I've just been told that Devil's Canyon was identical to Haswell but performed significantly worse thermally.

Ok thank you so much for helping me out. I also had another question. If I end up needing to upgrade my cpu to a i7 4790k, should I upgrade my ram too? Here is my info for RAM atm: 16bg ram (4x4) DDR3 at 1333mhz. (which is what my task manager is saying)

8 hours ago, yangster1997 said:

Ok thank you so much for helping me out. I also had another question. If I end up needing to upgrade my cpu to a i7 4790k, should I upgrade my ram too? Here is my info for RAM atm: 16bg ram (4x4) DDR3 at 1333mhz. (which is what my task manager is saying)

No, it's not worth the added price.

CPU bottleneck. You could:
- Overclock the CPU

- Change the CPU

- Maximum the overwatch settings and set a frame limiter

Edited by Guest