Would it be worth putting a ssd in this system

Mattster503

So as the title says i was wondering if it would be worth putting a ssd in this Early 2009 IMac 9,1 2.66GHz Core 2 duo

I have a ssd but i don't know if i want to go through the hassle of taking the IMac Apart do you think its worth it 

keep in mind i believe its SATA II

Depends on how much you use it.

IMO it's worth putting an SSD in almost any system, especially with how cheap the lower capacities are getting.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

It's an amazing increase if you plan on using the laptop. My mom uses an iMac pro mid 2008, the SSD makes it run like a modern laptop.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

It's an amazing increase if you plan on using the laptop. My mom uses an iMac pro mid 2008, the SSD makes it run like a modern laptop.

2 minutes ago, Votivee said:

Depends on how much you use it.

IMO it's worth putting an SSD in almost any system, especially with how cheap the lower capacities are getting.

The only reason im not wanting to put it in is cause of the pain it would be to take it apart plus i'm getting a pc here in a week or 2 

5 minutes ago, Mattster503 said:

So as the title says i was wondering if it would be worth putting a ssd in this Early 2009 IMac 9,1 2.66GHz Core 2 duo

I have a ssd but i don't know if i want to go through the hassle of taking the IMac Apart do you think its worth it 

keep in mind i believe its SATA II

i used a 860 evo on a dual core , lesser clocked processor, it was an I3 , 2nd gen, and it performed much better 

i also had sata 2, which   kinda limits it, but interms of boot time and snappy response it should improve 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

1 minute ago, Mattster503 said:

The only reason im not wanting to put it in is cause of the pain it would be to take it apart plus i'm getting a pc here in a week or 2 

Is the PC gonna replace the MacBook? If so, don't bother buying an SSD to only use it for 2 weeks.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Mattster503 said:

to be honest i changed out my hdd for the sdd just before i got my current laptop, but i gave my laptop to my mother, fresh install of windows, and its like a brand new laptop, rather than it sitting in a corner somewhere

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

4 minutes ago, Mattster503 said:

Well, that's your call. Nobody here can really make that decision for you.

Personally, I like taking stuff apart so I'd go for it but if you don't find joy in that or you're not handy then it might not be the right move for you.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

Is the PC gonna replace the MacBook? If so, don't bother buying an SSD to only use it for 2 weeks.

It's not a macbook its a imac

and i said i already have a ssd ive used in the past i just was wondering if its worth taking apart 

to put it in imacs are hard to take apart

and the  pc will be used for gaming ill use this for editing 

Just now, Mattster503 said:

and i said i already have a ssd ive used in the past i just was wondering if its worth taking apart 

Oh haha yeah imac, my bad.

Anyway, if you already have the SSD then I say go for it. It's a learning experience to crack open an imac, just make sure you have some way to install MacOS on it after you get it in there. However, your new pc is probably gonna be a lot better at editing, if it has a decently modern CPU. 

Primary PC:

Just now, fasauceome said:

Oh haha yeah imac, my bad.

Anyway, if you already have the SSD then I say go for it. It's a learning experience to crack open an imac, just make sure you have some way to install MacOS on it after you get it in there. However, your new pc is probably gonna be a lot better at editing, if it has a decently modern CPU. 

the pc will have either a i3 i5 or i7 second or third gen cpu

graphics wise it will have a gt 1030 to start off with then ill upgrade it to something better in April  

2 minutes ago, Mattster503 said:

the pc will have either a i3 i5 or i7 second or third gen cpu

graphics wise it will have a gt 1030 to start off with then ill upgrade it to something better in April  

Oh yeah the PC will have way better editing power than the Mac.

Primary PC:

Oh yeah the PC will have way better editing power than the Mac.

my old pc caught on fire and had a power surge while i was using it but the gpu survived and the ram and the ssd thats about it 

Just now, Mattster503 said:

my old pc caught on fire and had a power surge while i was using it but the gpu survived and the ram and the ssd thats about it 

Nice. Paint some fire decals on your new pc in memoriam

Primary PC:

11 minutes ago, Mattster503 said:

Did you upgrade the RAM on the IMac?

if not good luck video editing on that IMac with 4gb of 1066MHz RAM

~Air Cooling Advocate~

1 hour ago, Votivee said:

Did you upgrade the RAM on the IMac?

if not good luck video editing on that IMac with 4gb of 1066MHz RAM

Its 4gb of ddr3 1333MHz

1 hour ago, fasauceome said:

Nice. Paint some fire decals on your new pc in memoriam

lmao Ill do that

17 hours ago, Mattster503 said:

Wait, it caught on fire?!? What happened exactly? That’s insane. Lol

as for whether or not to add an ssd into the iMac, I swapped one into my friends 06 iMac and he still uses it today lol. So, if you want to, it does help. But I wouldn’t suggest it for editing over a more modern get PC tho. Seems kinda senseless to me when your “gaming” PC will be much more powerful and do the same work faster and more fluidly.

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

6 hours ago, SSD Sean said:

Wait, it caught on fire?!? What happened exactly? That’s insane. Lol

as for whether or not to add an ssd into the iMac, I swapped one into my friends 06 iMac and he still uses it today lol. So, if you want to, it does help. But I wouldn’t suggest it for editing over a more modern get PC tho. Seems kinda senseless to me when your “gaming” PC will be much more powerful and do the same work faster and more fluidly.

yeah i was gaming and i smelt something burning and i unplugged it and it started to smoke and i pulled my gpu ram and ssd out right away after that i think they all survived don't know what caused the fire or smoke in the first place lets just say it doesn't work now