Compair contents of two folders by file name only

Catsrules
Go to solution Solved by Franck,

A simple solution would be to do a command line to output the result of Dir into a text file like :

dir /b > test.txt

Do it in both folders and copy the content in excel in 1 separate columns. Than make a vlookup and you will have null where the file doesn't exist anymore.

Is there a way to compair the contents of two folder by file name only. Excluding the type of file?

The reason why is

I needed to convert 532 avi files to MP4 files. Luckily Handbrake does this very easily, took a day or so for it to finished converting them all but it got the job done, or so I thought. I few week later I was about to delete the folder with the old AVI files and I notice there was 532 items in the folder then I compared that to my folder with my MP4 files and there was only 525 files. So I am missing 7 files.

Handbrake named everything exactly the same so I was wondering if there was a way to compare the files based on name only excluding the file extension as that is different.

A simple solution would be to do a command line to output the result of Dir into a text file like :

dir /b > test.txt

Do it in both folders and copy the content in excel in 1 separate columns. Than make a vlookup and you will have null where the file doesn't exist anymore.

19 hours ago, Franck said:

dir /b > test.txt

This worked perfectly thanks.