Bad Game Reviews

progamer94
Go to solution Solved by Osmium,

I'm finding it very hard to get my point across through typing, so I will stop trying, however I understand that not everyone will see what where talking about as an issue, I just always found it to be something that really annoyed me.

Thats okay, I feel like neither of us are understanding what each other are saying anyway.

Hello fellow tech and game enthusiasts, my rant today is about how a lot of people give bad game reviews and actually other things such as movies as well, my issue is that when ever I'm reading through some reviews on a new game I'm thinking of buying or a new movie I'm about to see, and what most of the reviews are saying basically is, I didn't like that about this game or I didn't like this about the game and therefore its a bad game and automatically gets a bad rating because of it. However I don't know about the rest of you guys and or girls on here but just because I or someone else doesn't like a certain game/movie for what ever reason, DOES NOT mean that its a bad game/movie and that no one should play it, just because one person doesn't like something doesn't mean a 100 other people wont like it, anyways I've had my rant now and I would like to know your guys opinion on the issue and whether or not you agree with me or not. 

I usually don't have an issue with a lot of reviews bar anything total biscuit releases..

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

No offense but do you understand how criticism works? If a critic does not like something it is their job to call it out because if they do not like an annoying feature the chances are someone else out there will not as well and telling that person about it might save them the trouble of buying a game they don't like.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

No offense but do you understand how criticism works? If a critic does not like something it is their job to call it out because if they do not like an annoying feature the chances are someone else out there will not as well and telling that person about it might save them the trouble of buying a game they don't like.

I do understand how criticism works but I don't think you get my point, my point is they should not say a game is bad based off of things they personally did not like, however if they did their review properly they should just state what they didn't like about it and move on not ramble on about telling people not to buy

That's why you don't go buy a game based on one review?!

Just so you know I don't buy or watch anything off of one review, and I don't know where you got the idea that I did as I said in my original post I said I look at multiple reviews.

Just check the gameplay of the game you are going to buy on youtube or movie trailer & decide yourself if you need it or not.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

20130725212311!Shitposting.gif

Does this post have a purpuse of saying not everyone like same thing? We know that. Same with reviewers.

I guess you werent around when that woman ( guy ) gave 8/10 to gTA 5 saying it is sexist etc... and then there was petition to get her fired. Well now you know. There was so much written on this topic and reviewers ( job ) that you might search for it in forum or web search engine.

I do understand how criticism works but I don't think you get my point, my point is they should not say a game is bad based off of things they personally did not like, however if they did their review properly they should just state what they didn't like about it and move on not ramble on about telling people not to buy

But you can say that about anything about a game. Let me use the example of Arma 3 which is often met with very mixed reviews. Some critics praise Arma's attention to detail and the level of immersion the game offers. Other critics criticize the mundane amount of detail in the game and they feel it bogs down the pace of the game. Both people are criticising the same thing but in one person's opinion it is a good thing and to the other it is a bad thing.

If you leave opinion completely out of a review all you are really doing is stating features of a game and not much else. Opinion helps you identify features you may or may not like based off of your own opinion on things. For instance I think DayZ although it is a very slow game is very fun although I know lots of people do not share that opinion. If I read a review from someone who states his opinion on the game and I agree with that opinion then I probably will feel similar about the game as him(or her).

Sorry of using the example of Arma/Dayz twice technically but that is all I could think of while writing this :)

20130725212311!Shitposting.gif

Does this post have a purpuse of saying not everyone like same thing? We know that. Same with reviewers.

I guess you werent around when that woman ( guy ) gave 8/10 to gTA 5 saying it is sexist etc... and then there was petition to get her fired. Well now you know.

The purpose of this post was just to start a discussion on an issue I thought was worth discussing.

But you can say that about anything about a game. Let me use the example of Arma 3 which is often met with very mixed reviews. Some critics praise Arma's attention to detail and the level of immersion the game offers. Other critics criticize the mundane amount of detail in the game and they feel it bogs down the pace of the game. Both people are criticising the same thing but in one person's opinion it is a good thing and to the other it is a bad thing.

If you leave opinion completely out of a review all you are really doing is stating features of a game and not much else. Opinion helps you identify features you may or may not like based off of your own opinion on things. For instance I think DayZ although it is a very slow game is very fun although I know lots of people do not share that opinion. If I read a review from someone who states his opinion on the game and I agree with that opinion then I probably will feel similar about the game as him(or her).

Sorry of using the example of Arma/Dayz twice technically but that is all I could think of while writing this :)

I think I need to be more specific about my issue with it, its not that I don't want their opinions of whether the game is bad or not its when reviewers outright claim that it IS a bad game and therefor should not be played.

I think I need to be more specific about my issue with it, its not that I don't want their opinions of whether the game is bad or not its when reviewers outright claim that it IS a bad game and therefor should not be played.

Lets take the game WarZ (sorry my mind is on dayZ for some reason today :P) which was an outright scam and I do not think that can be denied. If a critic tells you that that because a game is horrendously buggy, includes many game breaking mechanics, is packed to the brim of microtransactions, and is full of hackers that you should not play it. But because he said you should not play it his sound reasoning behind his statement is now invalid simply because he told you you shouldn't waste your money?

Lets take the game WarZ (sorry my mind is on dayZ for some reason today :P) which was an outright scam and I do not think that can be denied. If a critic tells you that that because a game is horrendously buggy, includes many game breaking mechanics, is packed to the brim of microtransactions, and is full of hackers that you should not play it. But because he said you should not play it his sound reasoning behind his statement is now invalid simply because he told you you shouldn't waste your money?

This guys rant to me, Seems to be about Personal preferences affecting the games rating. It's okay to have opinions, but their job is not to tell whether They think it's a good game for them or not, but to tell if the game in itself is good.

This is what I'd put into his mouth.

In the topic of bad reviews, I reply don't read reviews in general. But what annoys me is the general consensus that eg. 70/100 is nit really a worthwhile game, while 60/100 already means better than average. Seems like games have to get 90/100 to really be a household name

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Lets take the game WarZ (sorry my mind is on dayZ for some reason today :P) which was an outright scam and I do not think that can be denied. If a critic tells you that that because a game is horrendously buggy, includes many game breaking mechanics, is packed to the brim of microtransactions, and is full of hackers that you should not play it. But because he said you should not play it his sound reasoning behind his statement is now invalid simply because he told you you shouldn't waste your money?

I'm finding it very hard to get my point across through typing, so I will stop trying, however I understand that not everyone will see what where talking about as an issue, I just always found it to be something that really annoyed me.

In the topic of bad reviews, I reply don't read reviews in general. But what annoys me is the general consensus that eg. 70/100 is nit really a worthwhile game, while 60/100 already means better than average. Seems like games have to get 90/100 to really be a household name

I think that problem was started early in the days of gaming and for whatever reason has stuck unfortunately. All games are reviewed seemingly from 60/100 out of 100/100. So really it is just a 40 point scale with the other numbers for show. 

Thats okay, I feel like neither of us are understanding what each other are saying anyway.

You should like the kind of person that read reviews to hear someone else confirm your pre-established opinion, instead of hearing other peoples' opinions/views. It is their job to give their honest opinion about the game. If they don't like it it's their job to say they didn't think it was good. You can't really measure if a game is good or bad objectify so all they can present is their subjective opinion.

With that being said, game reviews are usually terrible. I only watch Zero Punctuation (for the jokes) and Metacritic.

Oh God yes! It's the same thing with movies. Whenever I say a movie is a 6/10 I mean that it is above average, but people always go "what? You didn't like it?". Yes I did like it, I thought it was pretty good, that's why I said it was better the average movie.

Hello fellow tech and game enthusiasts, my rant today is about how a lot of people give bad game reviews and actually other things such as movies as well, my issue is that when ever I'm reading through some reviews on a new game I'm thinking of buying or a new movie I'm about to see, and what most of the reviews are saying basically is, I didn't like that about this game or I didn't like this about the game and therefore its a bad game and automatically gets a bad rating because of it. However I don't know about the rest of you guys and or girls on here but just because I or someone else doesn't like a certain game/movie for what ever reason, DOES NOT mean that its a bad game/movie and that no one should play it, just because one person doesn't like something doesn't mean a 100 other people wont like it, anyways I've had my rant now and I would like to know your guys opinion on the issue and whether or not you agree with me or not. 

A game is a bad game if you don't enjoy it. These people did not enjoy the game and gave their reasons why they did not. If you read the full review and see WHY they scored a game the way they did, it's perfectly possible to draw your own conclusions. Especially if it's a reviewer you know so you have a better idea of their inclinations. Game reviewing is inherently subjective, it's just not possible to bring forth an objective appraisal because the experience isn't objective at all. It's the consumer's responsibility to inform himself before he buys and these people are just providing their viewpoint to help you do that.

I usually don't have an issue with a lot of reviews bar anything total biscuit releases..

Biased much? :P

I have a friend who got retweeted once, he says the same thing (frankly the tweet WAS pretty damn stupid). Seems pretty closeminded for no reason. If you know he disagrees with you it's still a valuable review, what he dislikes you might like and vice versa. His stuff is usually pretty full on details, I find them quite useful.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Hello fellow tech and game enthusiasts, my rant today is about how a lot of people give bad game reviews and actually other things such as movies as well, my issue is that when ever I'm reading through some reviews on a new game I'm thinking of buying or a new movie I'm about to see, and what most of the reviews are saying basically is, I didn't like that about this game or I didn't like this about the game and therefore its a bad game and automatically gets a bad rating because of it. 

Isn't that the entire point of criticism? For someone with much more experience than yourself to post their opinion.

Please keep in mind that as distasteful as some people's opinions are - they can't really be wrong.

The quality of the review depends on the source, don't just rely on heavily paid off crap like IGN or GameSpot 

that give all of the annual cod churn-out's 10/10's, but rather look for independent sources such as blogs or a person's forum post. 

There's subjective, and then there is broken, buggy as crap games that should have never been released.

I really liked Dead Island, and hardly any one else did ;)

#!

His stuff is usually pretty full on details, I find them quite useful.

Thats the point. You only read review to get info out of it, not to evaluate scoring system or writers personal taste.

Its your job to do that. You have brain and you decide. Its not like you look at the score and decide what game will you buy.

Is a review bad if it contains all the aspects of game and gameplay, but reviewer dont recommend to buy it because he thinks its bad?

No. No review on this planet is perfect, bad ones are the ones that dont describe game properly so you cant decide.

If I am an intel fanboy, but i describe all the thing you need to know with Intel Vs. AMD, and tell you "BUY INTEL ITS WAAAAAAAY BETTER, DONT BUY AMD", does that make me a bad reviewer or just biased fanboy?

Thats the point. You only read review to get info out of it, not to evaluate scoring system or writers personal taste.

Its your job to do that. You have brain and you decide. Its not like you look at the score and decide what game will you buy.

Is a review bad if it contains all the aspects of game and gameplay, but reviewer dont recommend to buy it because he thinks its bad?

No. No review on this planet is perfect, bad ones are the ones that dont describe game properly so you cant decide.

If I am an intel fanboy, but i describe all the thing you need to know with Intel Vs. AMD, and tell you "BUY INTEL ITS WAAAAAAAY BETTER, DONT BUY AMD", does that make me a bad reviewer or just biased fanboy?

But...that's what I said?

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

But...that's what I said?

haha exactly, i just made it longer :D i am agreeing with you lol. i am proving your point.

or did you expect me to argue with you :P ? lul

A review is a opinion your rant is irrelevant

haha exactly, i just made it longer :D i am agreeing with you lol. i am proving your point.

or did you expect me to argue with you :P ? lul

Yeah usually people do that instead of agreeing on the internet, I blame conditioning. x3