Time to upgrade my i7-870?

Would like suggestion from some better knowing people (rather than myself), whether it is time for an upgrade for me, or should I wait some more years.

Right now I am running with following:

i7-870 (stock speed 2,93Ghz)

P55A-UD7 motherboard

8GB Corsair Vengeance (1600Mhz)

GTX770 2GB

Why I ask if I need an upgrade, is due to BF4. I really dont feel like I am reaching the FPS range I see in benchmarks.

Playing the game on Ultra setting at 1920x1080 and I hit 30-50fps. Playing with custom settings where most is set to high AF&AA off, I tend to have 40-60fps.

For everything else I do on the computer, the current system is satisfactory.

So if we say I had the money (which I have) would I feel any difference if I invested in a 4770K setup? Or would I be better off waiting for 5th or even 6th generation of i7?

If you can cope with that fps for a bit more wait for broadwell I think, otherwise go for it, why i7 and not i5 out of interest? 

Wait until broadwell and then pick up a cheap haswell cpu/mobo.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

An upgrade is not about whether you are not getting the best for your buck or the highest fps.  Getting an upgrade should be because you want to upgrade or you are uncomfortable.  However from my true gutts I'm saying, wait it out a little bit until AMD and Intel release their new Processors and you see what gain you will get,  However I wouldn't say you should upgrade though.  The clock speed isn't bad (the turbo one) its got 4 cores which bf4 handles nicely and its got 8 threads, Only upgrade if you know you will get a significant boost, because right now your frames are alright, they are still better than a console either way.

Wait until you find something thats really worth your bacon. In the meanwhile, If you do more than just game, how bout some moar rams?

LOOK AT MY TUBE, MY TUBE IS AMAZING. DONT LICK IT IT DOESN'T TASTE LIKE ANYTHING. IT DOESN'T HAVE A MANE OR PENIS EITHER. SHUT UP.

If you can cope with that fps for a bit more wait for broadwell I think, otherwise go for it, why i7 and not i5 out of interest? 

Simply because my emotions say it get a little more oomph from i7 rather than i5.

Simply because my emotions say it get a little more oomph from i7 rather than i5.

what do your emotions tell you about the £100 difference for that little oomph?

Overclock your 870 for some extra oomph, a good air cooler will last you for multiple upgrade cycles and will easily get that up to 4.0 GHz and beyond.

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

what do your emotions tell you about the £100 difference for that little oomph?

TBH and not to sound demeaning in any way, I could afford the extra £100 for HT.

TBH and not to sound demeaning in any way, I could afford the extra £100 for HT.

that's fine but do you need HT, games don't use it

Would like suggestion whether it is time for an upgrade for me, or should I wait some more years.

Hello, Welcome to the Forums, There are a few things you could do, without spending a lot of moneys to up the minfps your getting.

Invest in Better cooling if not already and Overclock.

But first a trick a LOT of people have used to reduce BF4 stutters and performance variability on a whole range of hardware.

Disable core parking (BF4 is close to the only thing that benefits from non-parked cores,for now at least)

http://bitsum.com/about_cpu_core_parking.php

Core Parking is a sleep state (C6) supported by most newer x86 processors, and newer editions of Windows. Core Parking dynamically disables unused logical cores, turning them back on as the load on the CPU(s) increases.(While BF4 is intensive, it may not be intensive enough to UNpark the parked cores) This technology is very similar to frequency scaling, in that it seeks to throttle the CPU's power consumption when idle.

Unfortunately, Window's default power profiles are far too aggressive when it comes to parking, especially on workstations. A large number of complex parameters control when a core is parked, so it is not hard to imagine these being less than ideal in many situations. And, Yes, core parking is enabled by default even in the High Performance power profile.

pl_parkcontrol.png

Your CPU unparked does not create any extra heat/lag/problems or void anything, its a power saving feature that is always on, that you disable.

Invest in a good CPU cooler and add a few hundred mhz on top, maybe even more than that (3.4ghz VS your 2.93ghz will bring your MINFPS up)

If your sitting around 3.2-3.6ghz and under 70*c with your new cooler your good to go. (70*c is my preference, not the actual MAX it can go)

HT is a gimmick for those who DO NOT Render or Create 1080p or higher content.

It comes into play, but investing in more real cores is ideal for the usage case.

An i5 will sit so close to an i7 of equivalent speed in gaming you'd be hard to notice the difference.

Time will tell about multithreading in gaming but for now... I'd Overclock or add some free performance, and IF that still has you feeling like you need more for your gaming, then maybe consider upgrading.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz