Is Malwarebytes (Free) a good antivirus software?

AlanAlan

Is the free version any good? Does it slow down your computer while its in use?

Yeah its useful for scanning once and awhile, I use it with windows security and have no virus issues

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

It's a good antimalware software, not antivirus software.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, AntiTrust said:

Yeah its useful for scanning once and awhile, I use it with windows security and have no virus issues

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

It's a good antimalware software, not antivirus software.

Would having windows security and malwarebytes be a good combination for antivirus/antimalware protection?

24 minutes ago, AlanAlan said:

Would having windows security and malwarebytes be a good combination for antivirus/antimalware protection?

Yeah that's what most people do, including me.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

There's no such thing as "good antivirus software". Just don't use your computer like a grandma and you'll be fine.

Write in C.

33 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

There's no such thing as "good antivirus software". Just don't use your computer like a grandma and you'll be fine.

I always cringe and shake my head when I read irresponsible advice like this. Read this:  https://www.howtogeek.com/140795/htg-explains-why-you-need-an-antivirus-on-windows-no-matter-how-careful-you-are/

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

3 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

How many links which tell the opposite do you need before you give in? Just curious....(Let me add that quantity and quality are two different things.)

I can say the same thing...wait...I just did.

Btw, my experience with Symantic products, including Norton and Endpoint, in the past was they were worse than worthless.

I'm also very careful but every now and then, my pro version of Malwrebytes and free version of Avast will still find and block a nasty. If you aren't using any kind of AV or antimalware program, how will you know if you are infected or not? Today's malware doesn't announce their presence like they used to. They want to be a stealthy as possible so they can continue to harvest your information or use your computer for nefarious puposes without you knowing it.

Jeannie