Limiting only 2.4Ghz on windows 10?

Barry~~

Guys, because I am in school, so I can not change the router network setting. 

The school wifi is using 802.11n and enabled 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz

Here I am asking, how can I only connect to 2.4Ghz instead of 5Ghz? Cuz 5Ghz in school is pretty slow (like 500kbps) and 2.4Ghz can go to 60mbps.

is there anyway changing it by CMD or control panel? the network properties does not have the option (which my desktop have)

BTW the network is Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 

Asus NUC: CPU:i7-4600u | ram: ddr3l 4GB x 2 | ssd: 256GB | Network: RJ45 port, wifi 802.1 ac | usb: USB Gen3 x 4 | SD: SD port x1 | Display: HDMI x1, DP x1| GPU: Intel Graphics 4400 @ 1100Mhz |

Switching to 2.4 will not gain you any performance. It will probably be worse. 

If the school is just using 802.11n then its a congestion issue. But I do know that there are some Qualcom chips that will only connect to 5 for some reason. 

Bring this up to your schools IT. 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Switching to 2.4 will not gain you any performance. It will probably be worse. 

If the school is just using 802.11n then its a congestion issue. But I do know that there are some Qualcom chips that will only connect to 5 for some reason. 

Bring this up to your schools IT. 

no, i have tested. whenever I connect to 2.4 it is always fine. But if I connect to 5Ghz then its worse, it happen in my house also, thats why i wanna connect to 2.4Ghz

Asus NUC: CPU:i7-4600u | ram: ddr3l 4GB x 2 | ssd: 256GB | Network: RJ45 port, wifi 802.1 ac | usb: USB Gen3 x 4 | SD: SD port x1 | Display: HDMI x1, DP x1| GPU: Intel Graphics 4400 @ 1100Mhz |

3 minutes ago, Barry~~ said:

no, i have tested. whenever I connect to 2.4 it is always fine. But if I connect to 5Ghz then its worse, it happen in my house also, thats why i wanna connect to 2.4Ghz

You are not being clear. You are saying you connect to 2.4 for testing but then saying you cannot connect?

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

You are not being clear. You are saying you connect to 2.4 for testing but then saying you cannot connect?

i mean, sometimes I connect to 2.4Ghz which is fine, but sometimes I will connect to 5Ghz which is slow, thats why I wanna limit to 2.4Ghz to get the stable speed

1 minute ago, Barry~~ said:

i mean, sometimes I connect to 2.4Ghz which is fine, but sometimes I will connect to 5Ghz which is slow, thats why I wanna limit to 2.4Ghz to get the stable speed

Device manager > Network Adapters > Wifi card > properties > Advanced

Should have a section to select 2.4, 5 or both

5 minutes ago, Alexsolo said:

Is this on a laptop or a desktop?

I would forget the 5ghz network so that the PC doesnt automatically log onto it. 

how to forgot? thats what I am asking.

I am using laptop which does not have the option to select 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz in options, thats why i am asking

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Device manager > Network Adapters > Wifi card > properties > Advanced

Should have a section to select 2.4, 5 or both

Screenshot (6).png

Screenshot (7).png

14 minutes ago, Barry~~ said:

Screenshot (6).png

Screenshot (7).png

Well that sucks. Try downloading the driver right from Qualcoms site and then try. 

25 minutes ago, Alexsolo said:

Is this on a laptop or a desktop?

I would forget the 5ghz network so that the PC doesnt automatically log onto it. 

there is only one choice of network, which contains 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, of course IT will not let you choose since most of student dont even know what is Ghz

I install the driver which is for ideapad and it still have those options :(

1 minute ago, Alexsolo said:

Windows 7 or 10?

windows 10 BTW

1 minute ago, Alexsolo said:

Windows 7 or 10?

BTW I just installed the last driver on https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/in/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/500-series/500s-13isk/downloads yet the options did not come

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

But did you try Qualqam's site?

there is no drivers as I search it so many times thats why I wanna ask if CMD or other method will work

2 minutes ago, Barry~~ said:

there is no drivers as I search it so many times thats why I wanna ask if CMD or other method will work

Screenshot (8).png

4 minutes ago, Barry~~ said:

There are no commands because its not a windows feature, its a driver feature. 

The only other methods are the wifi analyzer apps in the Microsoft stores which show you all networks and the 2.4 and 5 versions of each SSID. You can actually choose to connect to either in those apps. Its jank but it will work. There are many free one.

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

There are no commands because its not a windows feature, its a driver feature. 

The only other methods are the wifi analyzer apps in the Microsoft stores which show you all networks and the 2.4 and 5 versions of each SSID. You can actually choose to connect to either in those apps. Its jank but it will work. There are many free one.

ok I try that first.