Cheapest but legal ways to acquire Windows Licenses

Big Head Tech

So I work in the SaaS space so I have to be extremely careful with system building.  I've been building for years and while many local competitors use Kinguin/eBay, I have moved away from that.  Most systems I sell are unactivated and falls on the user to license the unit.  For many sales I do purchase a key but Windows 10 Home runs $100.  I've considered partnering with Microsoft but even some of the distribution channels I work with for my 9-5 job, their discounts are 10% off of MSRP so that is not a route either.

Lastly, I've considered MSDN licenses but those are not for resale.  So outside of dropping $100 for a system builder/oem key, is there any legitimate and cheaper avenue to take?  I will be incorporating soon and this is the final hurdle to overcome if possible.

The ones sold on ebay for $10 are completely backed by ebay to be legit. 

What about OEM licenses? Aren't those cheaper? (But can never be reinstalled on another computer obviously.) 

Retailers like amazon, newegg, microsoft are really the only way. so ~$90 per system.

Refurbishers can get different cheaper licenses.

If you are doing this as a business I would advise against Kinguin and ebay in case you ever get audited.

Just now, corrado33 said:

What about OEM licenses? Aren't those cheaper? (But can never be reinstalled on another computer obviously.) 

No unfortunately it's against eBay's ToS.  Hence why when I have purchased in the past they show up as "game codes".

2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Not sure if that is true however just because it activated doesn't meant that it is legitimate sadly.

Only way to get cheaper licenses are through Microsoft Volume Licensing agreement which is meant for internal business use only.

If you are a non profit you can look at techsoup but again thats a VLSC agreement and key.

Just now, Snaeb said:

No unfortunately it's against eBay's ToS.  Hence why when I have purchased in the past they show up as "game codes".

Ah ok. Did not know that. 

1 minute ago, Snipergod87 said:

Retailers like amazon, newegg, microsoft are really the only way. so ~$90 per system.

Refurbishers can get different cheaper licenses.

If you are doing this as a business I would advise against Kinguin and ebay in case you ever get audited.

Indeed, internally idc, but since I work professionally in the SaaS world I have to comply.  FYI to anyone reading, I've been building systems for years, nearly 700 systems.  I make a little money and for fun as well as my YouTube Channel.

6 minutes ago, Snaeb said:

Indeed, internally idc, but since I work professionally in the SaaS world I have to comply.  FYI to anyone reading, I've been building systems for years, nearly 700 systems.  I make a little money and for fun as well as my YouTube Channel.

Why not drop microsoft a line? If you've build 700 PCs there may be some sort of small business deal they can make with you?

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

Why not drop microsoft a line? If you've build 700 PCs there may be some sort of small business deal they can make with you?

Unfortunately that would be a conflict of interest with my work.  We are a channel company and our channel partners are almost all Microsoft Partners.  But even so, I would only get a discount moving large volumes and only 10% at best.

I usually go to the computer recycle store and pick up desktops with Windows 7 Pro keys which work fine for Windows 10 clean installs then take the boxes back to the recycle after I peeled the tag off.

Work Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | GPU: Quadro K1200 | Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Classified | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2133Mhz | PSU: Seasonic 750W SS-750KM3 80 PLUS Gold | STORAGE: WD 1TB Se Enterprise Grade Drive & Corsair Neutron NX500 400GB NVMe PCIe  | COOLER: Enermax Liqtech 240 -  5x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM | CASE: Corsair 600C | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals: Logitech MX Master 2S -- Logitech K840 -- INTEL X520 10Gb NIC -- 3x Acer H236HL -- Build Log | 

Work Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 | Model: Cisco UCS C220 M4 (SFF) | RAM: 64GB (4x16GB) Cisco (Samsung) DDR4 2133Mhz | STORAGE: 4x Cisco (Seagate) 900GB 10K 2.5" (RAID 10) - 2x 32GB Cisco FlexFlash Boot Drive (RAID 1) | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | 

Laptop | CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 | RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400Mhz | STORAGE: 512GB Hynix NVMe | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

Gaming Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G  | Motherboard: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX | RAM: Ballistix Elite 32GB Kit (16GB x 2) DDR4-3000 | PSU: Silverstone SX700-LPT 700w 80 PLUS Platinum | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12 | CASE: Louqe Ghost S1 | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Build Log in Progress | 

Home Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2690 (Sandy Bridge) | GPU: Quadro P2000 | Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X9SRL-F  | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) Micron VLP DDR3-1600 ECC | PSU: SUPERMICRO 665W 80 PLUS Bronze | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (RAID 1) - 4x WD 8TB Ultrastar (RAID 10) - Intel SSD D3-S4510 Series 240GB (BOOT)  | COOLER: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 with 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM | CASE: SUPERMICRO CSE-842TQ-665B 4U | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | Build Log in Progress |

| Pixel 4XL 128GB - Clearly White - Unlocked - Carrier: Visible |

| F@H STATS |

56 minutes ago, Snaeb said:

So I work in the SaaS space so I have to be extremely careful with system building.  I've been building for years and while many local competitors use Kinguin/eBay, I have moved away from that.  Most systems I sell are unactivated and falls on the user to license the unit.  For many sales I do purchase a key but Windows 10 Home runs $100.  I've considered partnering with Microsoft but even some of the distribution channels I work with for my 9-5 job, their discounts are 10% off of MSRP so that is not a route either.

Lastly, I've considered MSDN licenses but those are not for resale.  So outside of dropping $100 for a system builder/oem key, is there any legitimate and cheaper avenue to take?  I will be incorporating soon and this is the final hurdle to overcome if possible.

Not really. If you absolutely need it to be 100% legit then your only hope is dropping $100 on a key.

Sorry. 

Cheapest yet legal way to obtain Windows is to buy a oem system with o/s already installed.

How do you upgrade the components, there is a method to the madness, smart madness though.

Because O/S is locked to cpu and the mobo.

25 minutes ago, AMD Lover said:

I usually go to the computer recycle store and pick up desktops with Windows 7 Pro keys which work fine for Windows 10 clean installs then take the boxes back to the recycle after I peeled the tag off.

or what I typed ^

3 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Not really. If you absolutely need it to be 100% legit then your only hope is dropping $100 on a key.

Sorry. 

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

Cheapest yet legal way to obtain Windows is to buy a oem system with o/s already installed.

Yep.

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

Yep.

Or just never activate the O/S which MS allowed consumers to do, even Linus does it!