gpu fan msi afterburner

Flawizz

hi guys, in afterburner i can set my gpu fan to 100%

i dont really care about the noise it makes since im wearing headphones and i cant even hear it, but what are the negatives of putting it on max while gaming?

will the fans eventually die? or are there no downsides other than the noise.

2 minutes ago, Flawizz said:

but what are the negatives of putting it on max while gaming?

Nothing tbh. Your GPU runs cooler when your fan is at max speed so your GPU should, in theory, last longer.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

a card isn't meant to run 100 percent all the time. I would keep it on 70 or something

not meant, but i just need to know the downsides of doing so in order to convice myself not running it at 100%

3 minutes ago, Flawizz said:

not meant, but i just need to know the downsides of doing so in order to convice myself not running it at 100%

well, they die earlier. as they aren't meant to run 100 percent all the time. so don't

7 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

a card isn't meant to run 100 percent all the time. I would keep it on 70 or something

7 hours ago, glenalz81 said:

At 100% the fans will die sooner.

7 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, they die earlier. as they aren't meant to run 100 percent all the time. so don't

There's no point of answering, when you don't know what you are talking about.

@Flawizz, fans are rated to certain lifetime, usually 7,000-10,000h. Thats fan running all the time at full 100% speed. Having it run at that speed won't kill it faster, like the two before me would make you believe. Running it slower might give you bit more. But in honest, unless you run it at 100% 247, you won't kill it. Mechanical things don't last forever, but usually you will switch GPU faster than kill it. Ofc there are times when fan dies on you, either due lack of lubricant or some other mechanical failure. But you having it at full speed during 4-8h gaming sessions daily won't do it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

23 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Snip

So we both are right. They do degrade faster. But not at the margin I thought

7 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

So we both are right. They do degrade faster. But not at the margin I thought

Its not faster still. Faster would implicate faster than normal/rated which it isn't.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Fans are rated in hours as stated above.  They are rated at max RPM for those hours.  There is no correlation that running them slower will affect their longevity (I.E. last longer), however in theory that should be the case.  The lubrication can leak, can burn up (if the environment temp is very high as well) faster, the fan can bork - all for reasons you cannot control.  So I wouldn't worry about it - spin those bad boys up and have a cool GPU.

I spin my fans at 70% because at 100% I can feel (dual GPUs) my desk start to have a super slight vibration (11 fans in the case).  The difference at 70% - 100% is 50-52c @ 100% for top GPU, 48-50c for bottom GPU.  At 70% its 60-62c top GPU 58-60c bottom GPU.  That's quite the delta of improvement in temps.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

4 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

There's no point of answering, when you don't know what you are talking about.

@Flawizz, fans are rated to certain lifetime, usually 7,000-10,000h. Thats fan running all the time at full 100% speed. Having it run at that speed won't kill it faster, like the two before me would make you believe. Running it slower might give you bit more. But in honest, unless you run it at 100% 247, you won't kill it. Mechanical things don't last forever, but usually you will switch GPU faster than kill it. Ofc there are times when fan dies on you, either due lack of lubricant or some other mechanical failure. But you having it at full speed during 4-8h gaming sessions daily won't do it.

So basically you're implying that there is no noticeable difference between a new fan and an old fan. That they both sound and perform exactly the same until their mtf then suddenly fail. Although perhaps a better word would have been sooner. I would bet that I would be able to tell the difference between a GPU that had fans running 100% vs default curve. I have had many old CPU fans turn into clunky old beasts. 

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

4 hours ago, keskparane said:

So basically you're implying that there is no noticeable difference between a new fan and an old fan. That they both sound and perform exactly the same until their mtf then suddenly fail. Although perhaps a better word would have been sooner. I would bet that I would be able to tell the difference between a GPU that had fans running 100% vs default curve. I have had many old CPU fans turn into clunky old beasts. 

You are drawing odd conclusion and conflicting it in same post. I haven't said that fans wouldn't wear out over time. Quite opposite in fact. All I say is that calling wearing "faster" when fan is run at rated speed is overreacting and false.

E: Reading on about this even my previous post was understating fan lifetime. It's closer to 15,000-30,000h than just 10k h. This because GPU needs to work over warranty period. In EU that's 2 years, and many things come with 3 year warranty.

Edited by LoGiCalDrm
Added info

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

46 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

......I haven't said that fans wouldn't wear out over time. Quite opposite in fact.....

8 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

....Having it run at that speed won't kill it faster....

Having it run at full speed will kill it faster than running it at low or no speed. You can't change physics.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

1 hour ago, keskparane said:

Having it run at full speed will kill it faster than running it at low or no speed. You can't change physics.

Ofc, but running it full speed still doesn't kill it faster than what it's rated lifetime is. And that's my point. If question is "does it hurt/damage fan to run it at full speed all the time?", answers is no. Does it maybe live longer if ran at lower speeds, perhaps. Does it die faster if overvolted, yes. But fact remains that card will become slower vs demand much more quickly than fan starts to show symptoms of dying.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

There's no point of answering, when you don't know what you are talking about

I never said the lifespan was shorter, i said the fans will die sooner.

32 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

....If question is "does it hurt/damage fan to run it at full speed all the time?", answers is no. ....

So now we're back to the fan that doesn't degrade while running at full speed?

1 hour ago, keskparane said:

So now we're back to the fan that doesn't degrade while running at full speed?

Clearly no, but I also can't make you understand my point so whatever. As long as OP isn't scared away from running their hardware as they are intended to be used.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

16 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Clearly no, but I also can't make you understand my point so whatever. As long as OP isn't scared away from running their hardware as they are intended to be used.

I fully understand your point. But that doesn't make what you're actually saying correct. I disagree with you saying that they will not degrade faster.