Buying new parts need some tips

george97sh

Hi.

I was thinking about buying new parts for my gaming pc.  I was thinking about getting something like this: 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $218.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard $99.99 @ Newegg
Memory Team - Night Hawk RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $119.99 @ Newegg Business
Video Card MSI - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Video Card  
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $488.97
  Mail-in rebates -$50.00
  Total $438.97
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-12 11:49 EST-0500  

But would like to get some tips before i buy. Like is the cpu good enough to not buttleneck the gpu and if i should maybe look at something else. My budget is like 1000 ~ 1200 USD.

My current bulid is:

cpu core i5 4690K not OC

cpu fan Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

motherboard Asus Z87-A

gpu Gigabute R9 290 oc

ram 8gb ddr3

psu is 750w EVGA

There will be a small bottleneck, but you do know the x370 may or may not have the right bios to run the 2600x, which, if it doesnt, you will have to use a 1000 series ryzen cpu to update it right?

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

3 minutes ago, lmeneses said:

There will be a small bottleneck, but you do know the x370 may or may not have the right bios to run the 2600x, which, if it doesnt, you will have to use a 1000 series ryzen cpu to update it right?

Yeah i know. I read about it and if i get a one with an older bios i should be able to ask AMD to lend me cpu to update the bios.

5 minutes ago, lmeneses said:

Doesn't AMD still run that program where they'll send you an old CPU to update the BIOS?

Why do you plan to upgrade?

If you'll stick to 1080P 120Hertz or 1440P 60Hertz a new graphics card, 8 more GB's of RAM & an SSD could potentially be cheaper & better as I see it.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

You could just buy the rtx 2070 first and see if the performance is good enough with your i5. You could also overclock it a bit.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I hate to ditch on Ryzen (sorry AMD), but if you use the PC for only gaming and run little or no other demanding tasks (like media editing or productivity stuff) you'd get better FPS from an i5-8600k or similar Intel processor (in 4-thread games even an i3-8350k would get more FPS in AAA titles).

1 minute ago, Sfekke said:

Doesn't AMD still run that program where they'll send you an old CPU to update the BIOS?

I know they did, but the last time I heard someone mention they still did that was a while ago so I dont know

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

3 minutes ago, Sfekke said:

Why do you plan to upgrade?

If you'll stick to 1080P 120Hertz or 1440P 60Hertz a new graphics card, 8 more GB's of RAM & an SSD could potentially be cheaper & better as I see it.

I think the R9 290 sounds alot and the performence is not that good.

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

You could just buy the rtx 2070 first and see if the performance is good enough with your i5. You could also overclock it a bit.

Yeah that is also a possibility but i was thinking that i may get a good deal on black friday.

5 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

I hate to ditch on Ryzen (sorry AMD), but if you use the PC for only gaming and run little or no other demanding tasks (like media editing or productivity stuff) you'd get better FPS from an i5-8600k or similar Intel processor (in 4-thread games even an i3-8350k would get more FPS in AAA titles).

I will look into that. The only other thing that i may use my PC for is maybe to write some word doc and write and run some programs as i'm studying ro be a programmer.

I think the 2600X should be absolutely fine with the RTX 2070. You can run a surprisingly modest CPU even with high end cards. The PSU should be fine and all of the upgrades should be great as well.

This is really bad considering you can get a better combo for less!

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XgXQgw
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XgXQgw/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($179.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team - Night Hawk RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($119.99 @ Newegg Business)
Total: $414.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-12 19:26 EST-0500

Also, if you get a second gen ryzen, get a 400 series motherboard to have the new AMD Boost.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($239.99 @ Newegg Business) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool - GAMMAXX 400 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler  ($16.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - Night Hawk RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($119.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Total: $456.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-12 20:27 EST-0500

Any idea of what the priced-out i5-8600k looks like.  Normally I'd be excited about how cheap that Ryzen 7 1700 is but thanks to IPC superiority you will get more FPS from this Intel CPU (in almost every title save for those rare games that need/want 8-threads) than that Ryzen one.