New Build Ideas

tiwaztyr

Hi, I've been planning a new build and was just looking for some ideas. Hoping to play 4k at max settings, any idea the amount of hardware/cost of such a build? Relatively new to the PC building scene. Just looking for ideas and aprox costs. Thank you in advance 

CaseInWIN 503 MID TOWER GAMING CASE (WHITE)

Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-6600K (3.5GHz) 6MB Cache

MotherboardASUS® Z170 PRO GAMING: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs

Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB)

Graphics Card 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP 

M.2 SSD Drive 256GB SAMSUNG SM951 M.2, PCIe NVMe

Power Supply CORSAIR 650W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD

Processor Cooling Cooler Master V2

15 minutes ago, tiwaztyr said:

Hi, I've been planning a new build and was just looking for some ideas. Hoping to play 4k at max settings, any idea the amount of hardware/cost of such a build? Relatively new to the PC building scene. Just looking for ideas and aprox costs. Thank you in advance 

This is doing it on the cheaper side. You could drop the 2080 for a 2070 which would still pull 60+ in a lot of games and around 45-50 in the ones it can't. It would be decent for 4k just not perfect. A 2070 would drop the total 300 bucks. That being said if you get one of the evga cards off their site that is using the more basic design for the 2080 you can drop the cost by $100 as that card is $699. I didn't include the 2080ti cause most of them are 1200+ atm and I think there is only one that is being offered for $999 atm, and I haven't really looked in to how it compares to the others yet. Anyways for around 1500 you could be gaming at 4k or if you need more of a budget build and want to use a 2070 that can be dropped to around $1200.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LnTF3b
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LnTF3b/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($265.60 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - X470 GAMING PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($135.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Green 240 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($48.84 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($61.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card  ($799.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox MB600L ATX Mid Tower Case  ($55.90 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($42.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1521.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-09 09:02 EST-0500

12 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

No need for a 2700x as the 2700 will overclock the same.

12 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

Decent board. Little more than the others, but nothing bad to say about it here other than you can save money on other boards.

13 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

The stock cooler will do fine. There isn't a ton of overclock headroom on these chips anyways. So he can save some money here for slightly higher cpu temps that are still inside the safe range.

14 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

Good ram, but you are paying more for RGB when you can get the same speed ram for about 45 less.

14 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

Good drive, decent price. Depends on if he wants to add a few games to it, but no complains here just you can go cheaper if needed budget wise.

15 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

RIght now 3tb drives are the best $ per Gb. You can get a 3tb drive for 3 dollars more.

16 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

While this is the ultimate 4k gaming card. The cost of it makes it a non-viable choice for most people. When you can game just fine in 4k with a 2080. I would not recommend paying 2x as much for the TI version.

18 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

Expensive case if on a budget, but these are all about personal preference as long as everything will fit. Decent case regardless.

19 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

Very high quality PSU higher 1 tier higher than the one I picked out. Just more wattage than what is needed for the changes I have recommended.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€540.90 @ Alza) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i PRO 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (€118.84 @ Mindfactory) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€190.85 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (€132.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€147.89 @ Mindfactory) 
Video Card: Inno3D - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GAMING OC Video Card  (€1279.00 @ Caseking) 
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case  (€90.89 @ Alternate) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€84.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €2586.35
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-09 15:27 CET+0100

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

7 hours ago, brob said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€540.90 @ Alza) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i PRO 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (€118.84 @ Mindfactory) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€190.85 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (€132.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€147.89 @ Mindfactory) 
Video Card: Inno3D - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GAMING OC Video Card  (€1279.00 @ Caseking) 
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case  (€90.89 @ Alternate) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€84.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €2586.35
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-09 15:27 CET+0100

At 4K and 1440p, AMD is the best way to go. Way way cheaper, and little to no peformance difference in game. Also gives the option to upgrade to zen 2 next year

Often for such a high end build 1TB may not be sufficient

7 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

The stock cooler will do fine. There isn't a ton of overclock headroom on these chips anyways. So he can save some money here for slightly higher cpu temps that are still inside the safe range.

Personally if I had a large budget like that I would fit in a decent aftermarket cooler, maybe even Hyper 212 Evo. Stock cooler is good enough, spending $20-$70 on an air cooler is even better and not too expensive.

Good ram, but you are paying more for RGB when you can get the same speed ram for about 45 less.

The RGB RAM could be easily switched out for cheaper ones at the same spec, I chose that one for a little aesthetic

Right now 3tb drives are the best $ per Gb. You can get a 3tb drive for 3 dollars more.

Did not know about the 3TB drives being $3 more than 2TB drives. Will look into it and probably go for that when upgrading my current build. Thanks for that :)

While this is the ultimate 4k gaming card. The cost of it makes it a non-viable choice for most people. When you can game just fine in 4k with a 2080. I would not recommend paying 2x as much for the TI version.

He did mention he wanted to game at 4K max settings, the 2080/1080Ti would probably push 40-50 fps on most AAA games. I would still recommend either not playing at max with a 2080 or going for a 2080Ti where you can get 60-80fps.

Expensive case if on a budget, but these are all about personal preference as long as everything will fit. Decent case regardless.

There are cheaper case options if OP wants like the NZXT H500

Very high quality PSU higher 1 tier higher than the one I picked out. Just more wattage than what is needed for the changes I have recommended.

Always good to have a little headroom in terms of PSU wattage for upgrading in the future

No need for a 2700x as the 2700 will overclock the same.

Kind of agree on the 2700x vs 2700 one. If OP wants to save as much money as possible then he could go for 2700 and OC.

2 hours ago, _d0nut said:

At 4K and 1440p, AMD is the best way to go. Way way cheaper, and little to no peformance difference in game. Also gives the option to upgrade to zen 2 next year

Often for such a high end build 1TB may not be sufficient

I don't agree. Which is why I made my previous post. Current generation and for that matter previous generation of Intel cpu outperform AMD, (around the same price point), in most titles. If one wants to play newer titles in 4K with ultra settings and have the confidence of being able to do so for some time, higher performance cpu are indicated.

Believe it or not, Intel is also going to introduce new cpu next year. But an argument that suggests anyone is going to replace a ~$400 cpu with a more expensive cpu in a year is not well thought out. And, just because AMD promises not to change the socket doesn't mean that one will not want or need a new chipset motherboard to go along with the shiny new cpu. Just look at Ryzen 2xxx and B450/X470 chipsets

I trust the OP to know enough to add more storage of an appropriate type if it is needed. 

In the final analysis, OP is looking for some idea of what sort of budget might be needed. Given that, a decision can then be made on an actual budget. Then a system can be designed to meet that budget.

13 hours ago, brob said:

I don't agree. Which is why I made my previous post. Current generation and for that matter previous generation of Intel cpu outperform AMD, (around the same price point), in most titles. If one wants to play newer titles in 4K with ultra settings and have the confidence of being able to do so for some time, higher performance cpu are indicated.

Believe it or not, Intel is also going to introduce new cpu next year. But an argument that suggests anyone is going to replace a ~$400 cpu with a more expensive cpu in a year is not well thought out. And, just because AMD promises not to change the socket doesn't mean that one will not want or need a new chipset motherboard to go along with the shiny new cpu. Just look at Ryzen 2xxx and B450/X470 chipsets

I trust the OP to know enough to add more storage of an appropriate type if it is needed. 

In the final analysis, OP is looking for some idea of what sort of budget might be needed. Given that, a decision can then be made on an actual budget. Then a system can be designed to meet that budget.

I think what he is trying to say is that at 4k the bottleneck right now is 100% going to be on your GPU. So CPU choice doesn't really matter as much so in that scenario AMD is a mutch better Performance per dollar option.

At 1440p though with the new 2080ti the bottleneck can still be on the CPU as we are now seeing GPU's fast enough to push the FPS needed to drown a cpu in draw calls. That being said the difference here is not major, but there will be a slight fps difference on some GPU's vs intel and amd. I doubt it is enough to matter enough to justify the extra cost though.

So for 4k gaming there is no real reason to go intel for the higher clocks and ST performance. At 1440p there is a slight advantage only on the most extreme of GPU's and it is very very slight. So not really a big argument for it here either.

Now if you look at my posting track record you will see I am very much an INTEL person most of the time, but when it comes to making a budget and picking what makes sense... intel just doesn't make sense at this resolution.

23 hours ago, tiwaztyr said:

I think ultimately we need to know what kind of ballpark you are in for budget. You haven't told us if you are wanting to 4k game at a decent cost or if you have an extreme budget for an extreme build. As it stands with what you have given us the budget can range from 1200-3000. Which isn't going to be much help.

So the best options is for you to tell us what you have to work with and let us piece together the best system we can inside that budget.

2 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

...AMD is a mutch better Performance per dollar option.

To me this is a specious argument. A Ryzen 5 2600X has better performance per dollar than a 2700X. That does not make it a better choice.

Frankly, if one is seeking the best build for gaming at 4K on ultra settings an i9-9900K coupled with an RTX 2080 Ti is the best option. Anything less is a compromise. Nothing wrong with compromise but sometimes I think some are far too eager to give up performance to save a bit of budget that may not need saving.

10 hours ago, brob said:

To me this is a specious argument. A Ryzen 5 2600X has better performance per dollar than a 2700X. That does not make it a better choice.

Frankly, if one is seeking the best build for gaming at 4K on ultra settings an i9-9900K coupled with an RTX 2080 Ti is the best option. Anything less is a compromise. Nothing wrong with compromise but sometimes I think some are far too eager to give up performance to save a bit of budget that may not need saving.

Except at 4k you are not being bound by the CPU. At 4k the GPU Is 100% the bottleneck point. You don't need the extra performance unless you are in a situation where FPS gets extremely high. Which is why 1080p sees such big gains on intel.

16 hours ago, brob said:

I agree the i9-9900k is overall the best gaming CPU right now on the market. Depending on whether OP is looking for the best 4K PC he can get(without NVLink), or a more worth it option, it could determine his CPU choice. At 4K, it is likely the 2700X is not going to get much less performance than a i9-9900k due to a GPU bottleneck. Also, going AM4 allows him to upgrade to zen 2 without changing his motherboard(which he may or may not want to).

4 hours ago, _d0nut said:

... Also, going AM4 allows him to upgrade to zen 2 without changing his motherboard(which he may or may not want to).

Such a specious argument. When Ryzen 2xxx was introduced two new chipsets were also introduced. Sure one could use a previous gen motherboard, but the new chipsets are required to fully exploit the cpu.

On 11/11/2018 at 5:29 AM, brob said:

Such a specious argument. When Ryzen 2xxx was introduced two new chipsets were also introduced. Sure one could use a previous gen motherboard, but the new chipsets are required to fully exploit the cpu.

Hm, yeah that’s a good point too. 

Might I recommend not doing 4K, and rather going for 1440 ultrawide?  The 4k monitors currently available are inferior in performance to the 1440 ultrawides on the market, not to mention the availability of curved 4k displays is nonexistent.  And believe, me, as someone who was hesitant about a curved monitor, it makes a huge difference with a 34 inch ultrawide.  Also, it is slightly lower in pixel count (3440x1440 vs 3840x2160), so the games will run at a slightly higher framerate, while still looking crystal clear as 1440 is still avery strong resolution for a computer monitor. 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824011088 (FreeSync)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824011220 (G-Sync)

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.