Kali Linux dual-boot [Mousepad not working]

So i run the Kali Linux installer, and for some reason, i cant move the mousepad

How do i fix this?

OPS: do not tell me that i dont need the mousepad, because i want to use it during the setup/installation

Thank you for all the help i get smile.png

Open a terminal (or switch to a TTY), use your package manager to install libinput (if you're using Xorg and not Wayland). Failing that, install evdev & the Synaptics driver and configure it via xorg.conf or a file in xorg.conf.d (e.g. 20-touchpad.conf)

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, honestly I'd recommend you start with Ubuntu first as it's more usable with differing hardware out of the box; therefore less headache, plus it has pretty much all of Kali's tools ready to install from it's repositories.

I'm not trying to be mean, but you really shouldn't be dual-booting Kali if you don't know how to troubleshoot Linux, because if you do; you'll have a really bad time.

Plus, Kali is pretty much better off being used on a live USB rather than being installed; it's meant for pen-testing and isn't really meant for practical computing.

Desktop: HP Z220 Workstation, 12 GB RAM, 2x500 GB HDD RAID0, + GTX 1060 3GB

Laptop: ThinkPad T430, 8 GB RAM, 1x120 GB SSD

if at all possible id recommend virual machine instead of dual boot. trust me it gets really annoying having to restart to switch os

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

On 11/7/2018 at 6:11 AM, TakataruMC said:

Plus, Kali is pretty much better off being used on a live USB rather than being installed; it's meant for pen-testing and isn't really meant for practical computing.

Nonsense. You can install steam on Kali and play games on it. It is totally consumer ready. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

12 minutes ago, wasab said:

Nonsense. You can install steam on Kali and play games on it. It is totally consumer ready. 

You can install most packages on most distros but that doesn't make them consumer oriented. Kali is predominantly designed and used for penetration testing. It can definitely be configured for consumer use but so can most distros; It's not targeted at consumers out of the box. Case and point, OPs input drivers not being included by default; something a distro like mint, manjaro or ubuntuu would include.

I second TakataruMC in that if you can't troubleshoot this issue, it's better to start with a simpler distro and get a better understanding of the linux environment before moving onto distros like Kali or Arch. Starting with a difficult, more hands on distro as a beginner will just make the linux experience frustrating.

5 hours ago, Shura said:

I second TakataruMC in that if you can't troubleshoot this issue, it's better to start with a simpler distro and get a better understanding of the linux environment before moving onto distros like Kali or Arch. Starting with a difficult, more hands on distro as a beginner will just make the linux experience frustrating.

oh nononononononon, i jump into kali Linux cold with no idea what i was doing. it was just like playing a video game when you skipped tutorials and randomly clicking buttons and see what works and what sticks. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 11/7/2018 at 11:00 AM, StamflyTV said:

So i run the Kali Linux installer, and for some reason, i cant move the mousepad

How do i fix this?

OPS: do not tell me that i dont need the mousepad, because i want to use it during the setup/installation

Thank you for all the help i get smile.png

Does this happen also on other distros like Ubuntu?