How do LG demonstration videos look so good?

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

Are the videos 10bit color or 8 bit? The videos are probably 10bit

In which case, have you configured your display output to be 10bit per color, or it's the old 8 bit? If it's 8 bit, then the video player will be dithering the video to bring it down to 8 bit per color, so you only see 16 mil colors.

The panel is TN on your monitor so color accuracy won't be great. Also your monitor doesn't say anything about HDR and supporting that high brightness thing, so videos encoded with HDR won't look good on your monitor since the monitor can't turn on the backlight super bright to create that high contrast the OLED panels can create.

Hi there,

I have a Samsung U28H750 28" Ultra HD Monitor, which I brought to be able to enjoy Ultra HD content off my Desktop computer.

I have noticed that, compared to the video demonstrations shown on LG OLED TVs in retail stores like John Lewis, Currys PC World or BestBuy, my monitor simply doesn't compare in terms of how crystal clear those TVs are (Yes, they are more expensive and are OLED not TN QLED)

I watched a few of the embedded videos on this site https://4kmedia.org/ which are the same ones on demonstration in stores, but it looks no were near as good. 

If someone could help me in getting the image quality as good as I can get, I will be hugely grateful. Thank you!

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

might be something with the callibration of your monitor, you can do that on own sight or use an calibrater for that. the choise (also in budget) is yours

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

might be something with the callibration of your monitor, you can do that on own sight or use an calibrater for that. the choise (also in budget) is yours

I have look into to those, but often they are greater than >£100, and I can't justify that sort of price

4 minutes ago, EnergyEclipse said:

I have look into to those, but often they are greater than >£100, and I can't justify that sort of price

then do it on eyesight. just calibrate to what you like the most or do it with some grahps you can find on the internet

In which case, have you configured your display output to be 10bit per color, or it's the old 8 bit? If it's 8 bit, then the video player will be dithering the video to bring it down to 8 bit per color, so you only see 16 mil colors.

The panel is TN on your monitor so color accuracy won't be great. Also your monitor doesn't say anything about HDR and supporting that high brightness thing, so videos encoded with HDR won't look good on your monitor since the monitor can't turn on the backlight super bright to create that high contrast the OLED panels can create.

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Thank you hugely for your reply :)

It says I am at 8-Bit Color depth, is there any way of changing this?

Thanks again

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

depends on your video card ....  on amd cards it's from the control center, on nvidia i think from where you change resolutions.

I went into the Nvidia Control panel and only have the ability to go to 8 Bit. I read that for 4K blu rays (Which I plan to get a player for my PC) its only 8 bit.

Thank you hugely for your help anyhow as I learnt a lot, have a good day :)

No, it could be you connect your monitor through DVI or something that doesn't allow for 10bi, like older HDMI versions.

If your monitor's panel is 10bit, you should see 10bit if you use DisplayPort cable or connect monitor to HDMI 2.0 port on your video card.

i don't know for sure since i don't have a 10bit monitor, but it may be that 10bit can only be enabled in video games. Try a game that supports 10bit like Shadow of Tomb Raider I think or Assassin Creed and see if you get the option, if not it could be your cable or video card that's limiting you.

You can test using Media Player Classic Home Cinema (mpc-hc) and optionally install MadVR renderer for MPC-HC . As you play a video you can press Ctrl+J ( or right click > renderer settings > display stats) and you can see how the image is decoded

For example in the picture below you can see surface and display and backbuffer are X8R8G8B8 which means r,g,b are all 8 bit and x is alpha blending, transparency ... so my whole path is 8 bit. the video itself is 8bit per color, 60fps...

From presentation (menu) I think you can attempt to make the player show your video in 10 bit, in full screen, making your window sthink it's a vidoe game running full screen

mpc-hc_render.jpg

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

No, it could be you connect your monitor through DVI or something that doesn't allow for 10bi, like older HDMI versions.

If your monitor's panel is 10bit, you should see 10bit if you use DisplayPort cable or connect monitor to HDMI 2.0 port on your video card.

i don't know for sure since i don't have a 10bit monitor, but it may be that 10bit can only be enabled in video games. Try a game that supports 10bit like Shadow of Tomb Raider I think or Assassin Creed and see if you get the option, if not it could be your cable or video card that's limiting you.

You can test using Media Player Classic Home Cinema (mpc-hc) and optionally install MadVR renderer for MPC-HC . As you play a video you can press Ctrl+J ( or right click > renderer settings > display stats) and you can see how the image is decoded

For example in the picture below you can see surface and display and backbuffer are X8R8G8B8 which means r,g,b are all 8 bit and x is alpha blending, transparency ... so my whole path is 8 bit. the video itself is 8bit per color, 60fps...

From presentation (menu) I think you can attempt to make the player show your video in 10 bit, in full screen, making your window sthink it's a vidoe game running full screen

I am using an RTX 2070 and a HDMI 2.0b cable for all the connections, and am using the correct HDMI input to allow UHD 60hz. I found the monitor spec sheet here: https://www.samsung.com/uk/monitors/uhd-uh750/

It says there "Colour Support 1.07B". And the monitor overview says "1 Billion Colors". 

@mariushm I went to Samsung to see if they could assist me with this. Samsung referred me to my graphics card manufacturer, Nvidia instead.

Nvidia advised that rather than use a HDMI 2.0b cable as I am now, use a Displayport 1.4b cable. 

Before I purchase a new cable I emailed Displayport/VESA to guarantee it will work.

Thank you for your assistance as well, I have learnt a lot :) Have a good day

Display port, until updated again, is rather useless right now as HDMI has gained so much ground recently. HDMI can support pretty much anything DP can do, and more (for the realistic people out there and not the spec whores/fanboys)