Why doesn’t Linus do multiseat?

ryao

There is multiseat software for Windows 10. A quick Google search found this:

https://www.ibik.ru/

Instead of partitioning his 56 core machine into VMs, why not just do multiseat so that someone doing editing while the machine is otherwise idle has the full capabilities of the machine? When multiple users are using it, the resources would be gracefully split between them. At least, that is how a timesharing setup should work.

Also, he could use hdbase-t to place the consoles far away from the server.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Cause most multiseat software has their own problems with some programs(often games)

ALso microsoft has their own multipoint software built into windows.

This is for video editing. Didn’t he have separate plans for an office LAN center?

By the way, I have not tried it, but Ubuntu Linux might handle games in a multiseat configuration fairly well given its architecture.

1 minute ago, ryao said:

This is for video editing. Didn’t he have separate plans for an office LAN center?

The correct way to do this is with something like citrix or vmware horizon. But linus is just having fun this way, and thats why there are so many issues as its not fully supported.

Most of the time with a small deployment, its cheaper and better to just have multiple systems. VDI doesn't make sense until you have lots of users.

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Do multiseat systems allow for easy control of how much resources a user is allowed? Because VM do this rather easily. You don't want a random user starting an intensive task that competes for hardware resources that you wanted to be used elsewhere.

On Linux you can do that with cgroups. I am not sure about Windows, although the idea of a timesharing system is that the compute resources should be divided among active users fairly. Usually, you get more than you would have had if the resources had been partitioned because you get to use the resources from idle users.

5 hours ago, ryao said:

multiseat

I thought you were going to say build a couch for gaming.

Have you seen Linus' building skills?

Have you seen the way Linus uses a hammer?

It was quite funny to watch him. No building skills at all when it comes to anything larger then a pc.

Windows 10 I have to get sooner or later. But yeah I think everyones right, you do what you know.

Coming from a corporate world with large Citrix, ESX and Xen deploytments, Linus's latest  attempt (released today) at 6 video workstations  as vms still shows he's a bit ... behind wrt how it all works :)   Hard to tell what they ended up with but at one point he was surprised the one working monitor was the one he also assigned a sound card to.   You _have_ to; GPUs have two PCIe devices: the GPU itself and a sound card for HDMI/DP passthrough.   And although the cards technically linked I'd be very cautious about RFI getting into the PCIe ribbon cable he was using.

Overall I like what he's trying to do but worry he'll get something wrong and blame the hardware.   The caching bottle neck is another oddity.   If done right (thin clones) that shouldn't be hitting the SSD's for everything, rather cached.  

Hope no one from OHSA it :)