Content creator's laptop

I'm going to be in the market the next couple of months for a new laptop from now till the new year. I'm probably going to be aiming at black friday. I have a pretty good idea of what specs I want and, but as I can't build my own I would ask you guys for input.  I've been shopping and comparing online for hours.

gtx 1060 or better

8-16gb RAM

Some i7.....

ips display, 1080p is fine but color accuracy is important (photographer) adobe rgb 100% 

usb 3.0 

any ssd for os, size not too important. I edit off usb 3.0 ssd

I need to edit 4k vid and 42mp photos and my 2011 mac book pro is unbearable. 

$2k is my upper limit.

Thanks in advance for any sugestions

7 minutes ago, Steven Smith said:

I'm going to be in the market the next couple of months for a new laptop from now till the new year. I'm probably going to be aiming at black friday. I have a pretty good idea of what specs I want and, but as I can't build my own I would ask you guys for input.  I've been shopping and comparing online for hours.

gtx 1060 or better

8-16gb RAM

Some i7.....

ips display, 1080p is fine but color accuracy is important (photographer) adobe rgb 100% 

usb 3.0 

any ssd for os, size not too important. I edit off usb 3.0 ssd

I need to edit 4k vid and 42mp photos and my 2011 mac book pro is unbearable. 

$2k is my upper limit.

Thanks in advance for any sugestions

Do you prefer a thin and light, or a cheaper better cooled mobile desktop?

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Do you prefer a thin and light, or a cheaper better cooled mobile desktop?

I will be using this for travel, but I realize the compromise. Thin and light is a plus, but what I really need to focus on is multiple cores, even at the cost of frequency. Ryzen would be nice here but alas. The second is gpu hardware acceleration. The majority of the work load would be Adobe Lightroom, Premiere Pro, Capture one, DaVinci Resolve, and a little After Effects. 

4 minutes ago, Steven Smith said:

I will be using this for travel, but I realize the compromise. Thin and light is a plus, but what I really need to focus on is multiple cores, even at the cost of frequency. Ryzen would be nice here but alas. The second is gpu hardware acceleration. The majority of the work load would be Adobe Lightroom, Premiere Pro, Capture one, DaVinci Resolve, and a little After Effects. 

Is battery life a big deal? because if so that can greatly increase the price and size of a laptop.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Not really. I would only use it in the hotel. Would be nice to watch a movie on a plane (about 2h), but I use my phone for that now and can continue to do so. 

Here is one option, (I am looking at another, but I can't what color space coverage the other laptop has) it is just barely within budget. ASUS ROG Zephyrus S for $1999.00 it has a core I7 8750h, a GTX 1070 Max Q, and a 100% coverage of the sRGB color space.

Okay here is the other one, it appears to have the same display, but it has a better mouse an keyboard config, it trades out the 1070 for a 1060 6gb, and it costs $1800 the ASUS ROG Zephyrus M 1060 6GB .

I wonder if the first one can take a sata drive. $100 for the gpu upgrade for me is worth it, and the mechanical drive in the second one will break on me faster than any ssd will burn out. I don't need it but I can rob the 1tb sandisk ssd out of an old computer.

1 hour ago, Steven Smith said:

I wonder if the first one can take a sata drive. $100 for the gpu upgrade for me is worth it, and the mechanical drive in the second one will break on me faster than any ssd will burn out. I don't need it but I can rob the 1tb sandisk ssd out of an old computer.

As far as I can tell, the answer is no the first laptop does not have room for a sata drive, though if you were willing to, they do have a version of the second one that has the same specs as the first one, and thereby has an HDD that you can switch out for an SSD, though it is overbudget at $2200.

Get a 2018 13” MacBook Pro and a copy of FinalCut. 

13” Quad Core with Intel Iris Graphics is more than enough for 4K video editing on a Mac. 

77CEA8BA-5CA2-4ADE-9100-86E969A6113C.jpeg.74ca452aef34ca3b920fda4355ae2f62.jpeg

Mobile i5s and i7s are roughly the same anyway once under any kind of thermal load. And tbh, you can get away with 8GB of RAM for 4K video editing with FinalCut. 

Definelty search around for deals and discounts though. Apple Insider always has deals listed: https://iphone.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Any preference on weight and battery life? Where are you from?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

On 10/15/2018 at 7:01 PM, DrMacintosh said:

Get a 2018 13” MacBook Pro and a copy of FinalCut. 

13” Quad Core with Intel Iris Graphics is more than enough for 4K video editing on a Mac. 

77CEA8BA-5CA2-4ADE-9100-86E969A6113C.jpeg.74ca452aef34ca3b920fda4355ae2f62.jpeg

Mobile i5s and i7s are roughly the same anyway once under any kind of thermal load. And tbh, you can get away with 8GB of RAM for 4K video editing with FinalCut. 

Definelty search around for deals and discounts though. Apple Insider always has deals listed: https://iphone.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/

No, I think I'm done with Apple. The only thing I will miss is the mouse.

Just now, Steven Smith said:

No, I think I'm done with Apple. The only thing I will miss is the mouse.

Alright, then the Dell XPS line is going to be your best bet. But the performance is not going to impress you.....

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Alright, then the Dell XPS line is going to be your best bet. But the performance is not going to impress you.....

I was looking at those. Mostly because of the Adobe RGB screens, but the high end don't have that option.