Transfering large files

ringo

I need to transfer 1.3TB frrom one HDD to another. Can I transfer all at once or do I need to copy that in pieces (let say 13x100GB) in case of overloading or overheating somethingo.O? Win10.

1 minute ago, ringo said:

I need to transfer 1.3TB frrom one HDD to another. Can I transfer all at once or do I need to copy that in pieces (let say 13x100GB) in case of overloading or overheating somethingo.O? Win10.

Better to do it in bits and pieces because if you're interrupted you might have to redo the whole thing. 

Other than that, doesn't matter which approach you use, it shouldn't affect your temperatures (to the best of my knowledge).

2 minutes ago, Drunk.EU said:

Better to do it in bits and pieces because if you're interrupted you might have to redo the whole thing. 

Other than that, doesn't matter which approach you use, it shouldn't affect your temperatures (to the best of my knowledge).

actually he can copy all of it in one shot

even if the process gets interrupted he can simply copy it again and select "merge folders" when it asks and "don't copy" when its asks about duplicates. so it'll only copy stuff he hasn't copied yet

Make sure you actually COPY the data and don't just MOVE it. During a move operation, an interruption will cause data loss, no such risk when copying. It should be fine otherwise ;) 

When I upgraded my NAS to 4TB drives, I had to copy close to 2TB at once, with no issues.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

7 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Make sure you actually COPY the data and don't just MOVE it. During a move operation, an interruption will cause data loss, no such risk when copying.

if it's from one drive to another drive it will make a copy automatically , he'd have to use cut and paste for it to move the files.

43 minutes ago, emosun said:

if it's from one drive to another drive it will make a copy automatically , he'd have to use cut and paste for it to move the files.

That's true, but it's always a good practice to make sure you're actually copying.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, ringo said:

If it's data drive (no system, just personal data like movies, pictures, music etc.) then you can use FastCopy or other program like that. It may saves your time because these types of programs are designed for copying large number of files.

If you want to copy different files from one HDD to another and want to browse HDD and select folders to copy, then Directory Opus with its copy queue function may be the best solution (it is fully functional for 60 days) so you can browse another files while copying process. It's good because it prevents parallel copy (not recommended because huge slow down).

For copying the contents of an entire drive to another one, I either clone the drive with Macrium Reflect or copy the files using FreeFileSync. I prefer cloning when System (OS and program) fils are involved and the latter when data files only are involved. One advantage of using FreeFileSync is it can be "hacked" to verify copies are accurate.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

I copied large files without any program, using just windows. At the end when I compared folders (right click->propertis - number of files) I noticed that couple of folders has different size, like 2-3 files more than copied material. Are those some tiny windows files? I haven`t noticed that anything is missing...

For such large bunch of data I too recommend using 3rd party software. Advantages vs Windows functions are simple. More secure, possibly even bit faster and these software track which files in which folders are ready if operating is halted.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

32 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

For such large bunch of data I too recommend using 3rd party software. Advantages vs Windows functions are simple. More secure, possibly even bit faster and these software track which files in which folders are ready if operating is halted.

I tried to search some but some programs are outdated, some doesn`t have informative interface, I dont know is file were verifed or not, for terracopy some in comment section say that latest version crashes often and so on. I think I will try to compare folder with Freefilesync, if something is wrong this program should tell me.

8 minutes ago, ringo said:

I tried to search some but some programs are outdated, some doesn`t have informative interface, I dont know is file were verifed or not, for terracopy some in comment section say that latest version crashes often and so on. I think I will try to compare folder with Freefilesync, if something is wrong this program should tell me.

And what about Directory Opus? Is not fastest though but for sure can copy everything, including file permissions if you set it to.

13 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

And what about Directory Opus? Is not fastest though but for sure can copy everything, including file permissions if you set it to.

Yes, I just tried it, seem on first hand little complicated but since I already copied file and I compared them right now in FreeFilesync program and everything seems fine. I think that those small file are thumbs/desktop ini files, nothing important. I think that copying went fine^_^

It is complicated. It's most powerful filemanager on PC. But you can configure everything in it. Even create windows toolbars if you prefer instead using icons on desktop or start menu. It's unfortunately expensive and support is mostly like "we know better".