$13 usd for a windows 10 key?

DVA

Hi guys, just wondering if sites like this are legit? I see a ton of keys on different website, all for under $15 including websites like Ebay.

Are these keys legit or are they fake? I ask because an original windows key msrp is like what, $120 for home and more for pro.

https://www.g2deal.com/windows-10-professional-32-64-bit.html

Waiting on my final PC component but I don't really feel like spending $120 usd. If anyone knows if this is legit than thanks for the info! If not then could someone direct me to a legit key source other than the msrp $120 from windows.

Thank you.

I actutually want to hear about it, today on one of Polish sites i found windows key for 16zł and it is like...4 euro, 5 dollars? And even though I don't search for new system I'm curous

Quote me so I can reply <3

I always buy W10 Pro keys off ebay for £2-3 and they always work.

I think I've used a dozen or so now.

Though I always only buy from a powerseller, or whatever those sellers are called now

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

There used to be a way to upgrade to Windows 10 for free by setting the computer's clock/date back to when the free-upgrade was offered.

And another way was upgrading by going through the "Assistive Tools for disabled users" settings and it letting you upgrade for free.

Not sure if any of these techniques work anymore though

Just now, Slottr said:

Too good to be true.

That's what I figure, there's tons of websites selling keys but my guess is they are pirated or fakes. 

i mean, I could just buy win10 for $100...but who the hell wants to do that lol. I'll have to search around later for someone having a sale on keys I guess :(

Hi DVA. Those keys are real, and will activate your copy of windows. the reason they are so inexpensive is because they are what are considered OEM keys, which would be purchased in bulk by a company like Dell for a discounted rate. These are surplus sales of those kind of keys. A major drawback of those keys is that Microsoft will not provide activation services to help you reactive your machine if you change your hardware, but they are perfectly real, and should work on any installation of windows.

Hope I helped.

On 9/18/2018 at 4:55 PM, AshKetchup said:

There used to be a way to upgrade to Windows 10 for free by setting the computer's clock/date back to when the free-upgrade was offered.

And another way was upgrading by going through the "Assistive Tools for disabled users" settings and it letting you upgrade for free.

Not sure if any of these techniques work anymore though

I think I recall them still offering it for free if you have win7 (maybe..?)

But I'm not entirely sure either. I've heard of what you're talking about also. 

On 9/18/2018 at 4:56 PM, RKarim said:

Hi DVA. Those keys are real, and will activate your copy of windows. the reason they are so inexpensive is because they are what are considered OEM keys, which would be purchased in bulk by a company like Dell for a discounted rate. These are surplus sales of those kind of keys. A major drawback of those keys is that Microsoft will not provide activation services to help you reactive your machine if you change your hardware, but they are perfectly real, and should work on any installation of windows.

Hope I helped.

I love your answer but I am so sketched out by that 1 post count LMAO. 

It does help, I will keep waiting on more responses though. Thank you!

Yeah, sorry. Well you have to start on a forum like this somewhere, right?

Also, kinguin.com is a little more pricey but they offer refunds if the key does not work. I've personally used them before.

4 minutes ago, RKarim said:

Hope I helped.

Oh wow welcome to the forum that's your first post xD

There is actually an LTT video that references cheap windows keys. The short of it is they are normally either resold keys from OEM like mentioned before or gray market keys which means they are supposed to be sold in regions where the price is less because of relative income in that region. So the keys are normally real, but they are not legal to use in your country 99% of the time. Just because it works doesn't mean it is legal and follows the licensing of the software.

TL;DR

Almost 100% not legal keys.

i7-5820k @ 4.3GHz / Asus X99-A / Corsair H100i GTX / G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4
970 EVO 500GB SSD, 28TB NAS / MSI GTX 960 Gaming / Antec P280 / 2x Dell U2515H 25" / Windows 7 Pro

On 9/18/2018 at 5:01 PM, AshKetchup said:

Oh wow welcome to the forum that's your first post xD

Thanks AshKetchup! Hope to see you around! 

On 9/18/2018 at 5:01 PM, pball said:

There is actually an LTT video that references cheap windows keys. The short of it is they are normally either resold keys from OEM like mentioned before or gray market keys which means they are supposed to be sold in regions where the price is less because of relative income in that region. So the keys are normally real, but they are not legal to use in your country 99% of the time. Just because it works doesn't mean it is legal and follows the licensing of the software.

Also, yeah, that's one of the reasons why I'd recommend Kinguin, as their keys are all surplus OEM.

1 minute ago, AshKetchup said:

Oh hey you guys are talking about Kenguin? I've used them before

That's either a typo, or I'm missing a really obvious reference. The latter is probably true.

chances are that they will send you a key, and that key will activate windows.

the downside is, that essentially those keys break microsoft ToS/EULA in at least one of many ways, so getting support if necessary will be difficult, and the key *randomly deactivating* is a possibility, after which you're basicly x number of money out of pocket.

as linus outlined in a recent LTT video, if all you want to do is make windows' "not activated" thing go away, its a somewhat legitimate way of doing so. but when you dive into the details, and what you're *actually* doing and supporting, it's hard to call it a "legitimate" license because at least one step in the chain is doing shady business practisces.

those bad business practisces may include:

- some "liberal" handling of the ToS/EULA around volume deals on keys

- double- or triple selling of the same key (because honestly, we all know you can activate a key multiple times..)

- harvesting keys off of discarded systems (every HP box that gets thrown out an office window got a $100 key on the side, basically)

- reselling dreamspark keys, which is basicly the first thing MS will ask you if they have concerns about the origin of your key.

- in extremes, money launderding / credit card fraud, turning money from illegitimate sources into windows keys, which get turned into legitimate money.

TL:DR, yes, the keys are real, no, they are not entirely by the full definition "legitimate" for you to use.

Just now, manikyath said:

chances are that they will send you a key, and that key will activate windows.

the downside is, that essentially those keys break microsoft ToS/EULA in at least one of many ways, so getting support if necessary will be difficult, and the key *randomly deactivating* is a possibility, after which you're basicly x number of money out of pocket.

as linus outlined in a recent video, if all you want to do is make windows' "not activated" thing go away, its a somewhat legitimate way of doing so. but when you dive into the details, and what you're *actually* doing and supporting, it's hard to call it a "legitimate" license because at least one step in the chain is doing shady business practisces.

those bad business practisces may include:

- some "liberal" handling of the ToS/EULA around volume deals on keys

- double- or triple selling of the same key (because honestly, we all know you can activate a key multiple times..)

- harvesting keys off of discarded systems (every HP box that gets thrown out an office window got a $100 key on the side, basically)

- reselling dreamspark keys, which is basicly the first thing MS will ask you if they have concerns about the origin of your key.

- in extremes, money launderding / credit card fraud, turning money from illegitimate sources into windows keys, which get turned into legitimate money.

TL:DR, yes, the keys are real, no, they are not entirely by the full definition "legitimate" for you to use.

Well, I mean I could argue if you get the keys from the right place they could be perfectly fine. Then again, if you go searching on ebay, there's a high chance they could involve the aforementioned practices.

Just now, RKarim said:

Well, I mean I could argue if you get the keys from the right place they could be perfectly fine. Then again, if you go searching on ebay, there's a high chance they could involve the aforementioned practices.

it's -unfortunately- a market of "the most ruthless criminal makes the most bank", and you really have no way of knowing what sort of person is at the other side of the line, and how legitimate they are.

my personal policy is either buy a boxed license, or dont buy a license at all (besides the watermark, there's really no downside to doing so). if i pay money for a piece of software, i'd prefer that money to go to the people who made and maintain that software.

6 minutes ago, RKarim said:

Also, yeah, that's one of the reasons why I'd recommend Kinguin, as their keys are all surplus OEM.

OEM keys aren't allowed to be resold to my knowledge. I also read somewhere that Kinguin is a place were users resell keys, which is sketchy to me.

I'd personally go with what Linus and other trust worthy people say and use the "if it's too good to be true" it is too good.

i7-5820k @ 4.3GHz / Asus X99-A / Corsair H100i GTX / G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4
970 EVO 500GB SSD, 28TB NAS / MSI GTX 960 Gaming / Antec P280 / 2x Dell U2515H 25" / Windows 7 Pro

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

it's -unfortunately- a market of "the most ruthless criminal makes the most bank", and you really have no way of knowing what sort of person is at the other side of the line, and how legitimate they are.

my personal policy is either buy a boxed license, or dont buy a license at all (besides the watermark, there's really no downside to doing so). if i pay money for a piece of software, i'd prefer that money to go to the people who made and maintain that software.

My old custom PC was never licensed at all, never had issues. The watermark is totally tolerable, and I just don't want to bother paying for a PC that I don't even use much anymore. But, if the watermark bothers you than go with one of these cheap options, as beside TOS infringements they'll work fine.

The copy of windows that I am currently using, I bought off of ebay. I have no issues so far.

Costed me $6

3 minutes ago, kevin2266 said:

The copy of windows that I am currently using, I bought off of ebay. I have no issues so far.

Costed me $6

They do work very well, but as stated before can be on the gray side of life.

11 hours ago, DVA said:

That's what I figure, there's tons of websites selling keys but my guess is they are pirated or fakes. 

i mean, I could just buy win10 for $100...but who the hell wants to do that lol. I'll have to search around later for someone having a sale on keys I guess :(

The keys aren't fake, per say. But resale of them is violating Microsofts ToS. Essentially you are paying someone who has abused system.

Also, OS is good for 7-8 years at this point. Maybe more if Microsoft does another free upgrade. Can you name another $150 component which can do same? AFAIK only case, maybe PSU. But surely not your $300 CPU or GPU.

11 hours ago, RKarim said:

Hope I helped.

There's few issues there. First, msrp for OEM Pro key is $150-170. Reason why those keys are cheap is that seller has got them for free or at very low price per key. And seller is aware that Microsoft has right to blacklist those keys at any point. Pricing is so low to make it juicy for customer and maybe not high enough for them to be mad when key suddenly stops working.

11 hours ago, RKarim said:

Kinguin isn't any better than other sites. It's just marketplace which sells buyer protection (because they are fully aware keys being sold might not work). In that sense eBay is better as at least their buyer protection is included. Read Kinguin ToS. It washes their hands by "prohibiting" sales of anything violating original rights holders ToS.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv