Gtx 1080ti vs RTX 2080ti @ 3440x1440 100hz

Holmes2468
20 minutes ago, Motifator said:

We actually do, it IS a different architecture... are you even aware of the inherit differences between Turing and Pascal? I suggest you to go back to the drawing board and do a bit of more research.

You can yell "BUT YOU DON'T KNOW HOW IT ALL PERFORMS LIKE" as much as you like, however, we do know it's a different than Pascal.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you aren't just trolling. Maybe you're having a bad day and didn't read my post properly.

I acknowledged that they're different, but we don't know how different they are. It could be a very slight change, especially outside of ray tracing applications. It's possible that it's more efficient but not actually more powerful

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

11 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you aren't just trolling. Maybe you're having a bad day and didn't read my post properly.

I acknowledged that they're different, but we don't know how different they are. It could be a very slight change, especially outside of ray tracing applications. It's possible that it's more efficient but not actually more powerful

10 years of work, all that money going into these cards and they're not going to be more powerful? Get real please. I didn't say anything about how different they will be but they'll sure as hell be different in a lot of ways. I'l be after my word waiting here, the reviews will show. :)

6 minutes ago, Motifator said:

10 years of work, all that money going into these cards and they're not going to be more powerful? Get real please. I didn't say anything about how different they will be but they'll sure as hell be different in a lot of ways. I'l be after my word waiting here, the reviews will show. :)

I'm not sure where you came up with the 10 years thing but it's only been that long since the last architecture update. You absolutely said "how different" they would be. That's the whole reason I responded. You literally said they were "completely different".

NVIDIA has very little incentive to make more than minor changes, for the exact reason Intel didn't have any major architectural updates for a decade.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I'm not sure where you came up with the 10 years thing

I think he's referencing the fact that this project has been "a thing" for NVidia for about a decade.  This isn't a "minor update" to Pascal.  It's a whole, new chip and an idea (hardware ray tracing) they've been kicking around for a decade or so.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

38 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

I think he's referencing the fact that this project has been "a thing" for NVidia for about a decade.  This isn't a "minor update" to Pascal.  It's a whole, new chip and an idea (hardware ray tracing) they've been kicking around for a decade or so.

And what verifiable evidence is that based on?

8 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

And what verifiable evidence is that based on?

You clearly haven't kept up with the info regarding these cards. You also mentioned they were "more efficient", and everything shows they're not really going to be efficient at all. Sigh.

18 hours ago, Motifator said:

You clearly haven't kept up with the info regarding these cards. You also mentioned they were "more efficient", and everything shows they're not really going to be efficient at all. Sigh.

You didn't answer the question. I also didn't say they were more efficient. Because none of us know.

On 8/26/2018 at 2:45 AM, Holmes2468 said:

I'm not asking you. The issue is that I cannot decide. 

When it doubt get more information.

In other words, wait for the benchmarks. 

As said before, if you want the 2080ti for raytracing and nothing else, get a new card with the next release. 

No or hardly any games will come out that support it between then and now. 

AMD 5900x, 2x16GB ( G.skill F4-3600C16 ), Radeon VII, Radeon 570,  Corsair 1200i , SSD 240/500GB, HDD 640GB,1TB,5TB, 1TB NVME. Lian li 011Dyanmic XL, big ass LTT mouse-pad & stealth water bottle

Your framerates seem a bit low  given the games you listed, did you actually overclocking your card? it might spring you a few frames so that your mostly in the 50s. I have a GTX 1080 Palit Jetstreem overclocked to more than 2100 Mhz and it made a big difference. I'm able to play games like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Gears of War 4, Witcher 3 at 50-60 fps at 4k resolution, (I turn only a couple of settings down from ultra to high like reflections but thats it) and other games like Doom and Wolvenstien 2 at a steady 60 (my LG OLED doesn't go beyond 60 at 4k). 

Anyways, 1080 ti should increase you 30% (you can check the benchmarks) which is really all you need, and it will probably go down in price a bit (especially used) in the upcoming months. The 2080Ti is complete overkill for your uses, unless you want the new tech (DLSS, RT, Tensor core Anti aliasing), while we don't have the benchmarks yet, the damn thing has more Cuda Cores than the Titan Xp and at its speed,  more Teraflops. The rtx 2080 on the other hand has less Cuda Cores (and consequently Teraflops) than the 1080Ti, but significantly more than the gtx 1080, its performance will probably be just a tad bit better than the 1080 Ti because of better cores and the use of  tensor cores for AA instead of having the coda cores do the AA (but much more expensive of course). Honestly I don't think for your uses you will need more than rtx 2080 or gtx 1080Ti. 

On Fri Aug 24 2018 at 6:30 PM, jstudrawa said:

Definitely spend $1200 on the 2080Ti pre-order.  Totally a good idea.

FYI, the 1080Ti will do it for half the price. 

What nobody gets is that the 2080Ti is not the next version of the 1080Ti. It is the next generations Titan! All Nvidia did was take onboard public opinion and changed the naming scheme to be more streamlined and make more sense. 

Just now, SupersonicSaint said:

What nobody gets is that the 2080Ti is not the next version of the 1080Ti. It is the next generations Titan! All Nvidia did was take onboard public opinion and changed the naming scheme to be more streamlined and make more sense. 

I like Jay, but I don't agree with his speculation (and that's all it is) about that.  I'm betting that a full 4608-cored TU102 Titan is coming, and it'll be aimed at gamers.  It'll just be priced at around $1500 or so from NVidia.

That's my speculation.

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

4 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

I like Jay, but I don't agree with his speculation (and that's all it is) about that.  I'm betting that a full 4608-cored TU102 Titan is coming, and it'll be aimed at gamers.  It'll just be priced at around $1500 or so from NVidia.

That's my speculation.

Well if that's true... Then Nvidia really is taking advantage of holding the monopoly in the GPU industry. Their closed door and aggressively advantageous practices are why I can't wait for AMD to come back in the fight.

9 minutes ago, SupersonicSaint said:

Well if that's true... Then Nvidia really is taking advantage of 

Remember that it's just my speculation on the matter.  Don't base your opinion of NVidia on my speculations.

On 8/25/2018 at 7:19 PM, Motifator said:

Yes we do know that. The 2080 Ti IS NOT a renamed Titan XP, the whole thing is different from what Nvidia displayed. The architecture is Turing and it can ray trace on a hardware level. Anybody who thinks the 2080 Ti is a rebadged Titan XP is seriously a fool.

Speaking of Titan XP. Would a Titan XP be worth buying if U can get one for $850m 

I don't think anybody was saying its a renamed Titan XP, but its definitely is going to be more powerful than the Titan Xp because it has 4352 Cuda Cores as opposed to the Titan Xp which has 3840 only (which produces just 12 Teraflops versus the 13.4 for the 2080Ti). + those Cuda Cores it has are going to preform better and it has Ray Tracing Cores and more importantly Tensor Cores that can do DLSS, or Anti Aliasing (freeing up Cuda Cores). So yes, they could a gotten away with naming it Titan Xt (or something), and Jay is probably right that the reason they didn't is because they don't want to further confuse buyers when they eventually create and market an even more powerful card. Anyways who cares about the name, they could call it "sugar pants" for all I care, it still stands that this is the most powerful gaming card available (the Titan V is actually not optimized for gaming). 

$850 for the Titan Xp is a steal, just test the card and make sure its not damaged and performs as it should. By the way, make sure its the Titan Xp (2017) and not the Titan X Pascal (2016).

49 minutes ago, A_Sid said:

$850 for the Titan Xp is a steal, just test the card and make sure its not damaged and performs as it should. By the way, make sure its the Titan Xp (2017) and not the Titan X Pascal (2016).

It's the galactic empire edition of the titan

So it was used as intended?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Why? Get a 2070 instead. None of the past gen cards of that caliber are worth it anymore IMHO.

1 hour ago, Mick Naughty said:

So it was used as intended?

Not really. No. 

1 minute ago, Holmes2468 said:

Not really. No. 

How is mining any different than rendering or gaming?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 hour ago, Motifator said:

Why? Get a 2070 instead. None of the past gen cards of that caliber are worth it anymore IMHO.

Then you don't know very much about technology. That's not surprising though, considering you still haven't answered my question. ;)

10 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Then you don't know very much about technology. That's not surprising though, considering you still haven't answered my question. ;)

Go somewhere else with your trolling and praising 2 year old cards. Only a fool would pay $850 for a Titan XP at this time and date. A 2070 will make far more sense and you will have your answer straight to your big face when the reviews come out. It's a new card (the XP is used), comes with new tech, better cooler, PCB AND costs less while offering similar performance. Donk.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:02 PM, Holmes2468 said:

You could also buy one of the EVGA FTW3 direct from EVGA cheaper than it is on Amazon atm. https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-6796-KR