M.2 SSD Cooling

Hi guys, I recently purchase a XPG Storm SSD M.2 heatsink. I read some good reviews online and I found a couple of videos on YouTube. 

I'm using the cooler on a Kingston hyperx and after running a few stress tests I noticed 5°C drop, from ~71C to ~66C. The SSD comes with a sticker on top. 

My question is, does removing that sticker can help in a better heat transfer between the SSD and the heatsink? Or will make it worst? The heatsink comes with a thermal pad of the same lenght of the SSD. 

I'm not really worried about losing the warranty, I live in Mexico and is pretty hard to get any customer support from manufacturers. 

Cheers. 

it would probably help, but not by much. getting some airflow with a small fan would help the most

Actually, Flash has longer longevity when it is hot, so M.2 heatsinks, if they actually did anything, would hinder the life span a little bit. Don't worry about the temperatures, they are high but nothing out of the ordinary. 

5 minutes ago, Derrk said:

it would probably help, but not by much. getting some airflow with a small fan would help the most

The heatsink is pretty nice, comes with a small fan to dissipate heat. 

1 minute ago, Konrad_K said:

Actually, Flash has longer longevity when it is hot, so M.2 heatsinks, if they actually did anything, would hinder the life span a little bit. Don't worry about the temperatures, they are high but nothing out of the ordinary. 

My concern was that kingston rates the SSD from 0-70C and I was hitting ~70 under load. I thought that higher temperatures will hurt the lifespan and performance of the SSD. 

It's useless. 

You don't want to cool SSD NAND, you want to cool the controller. 

Cooling the NAND actually reduces the performance

2 minutes ago, Lord.Humungus said:

My concern was that kingston rates the SSD from 0-70C and I was hitting ~70 under load. I thought that higher temperatures will hurt the lifespan and performance of the SSD. 

It wont hurt the SSD, at most it will just thermal throttle

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

It's useless. 

So, if I use the thermal pad to redirect the heat away from the controller it would be better. 

Thanks a lot I will redirect my effort to the airflow inside the case. 

1 hour ago, Konrad_K said:

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

It's useless. 

these.

if you insist, put a thermal pad on the controller, and let it do its thing.

besides that, it's actually surprisingly hard to make SSDs thermal throttle in real world scenarios.