Air cooling CPU in a Lian li pc-o11 dynamic

B-dubya

I picked up a pc-o11 dynamic, and and looking for the best air cpu cooler. I know it is a water cooling dream case, and some day I may do that.... But I've always done air.

I'll most likely be having an i7-8700k, may over clock, nothing major. Unless the new 9900k/9700k are out soon enough, and not to pricey. (And hopefully soldered!)

I was thinking the noctua or be quiet dark rock pro 3, but it doesn't have the clearance..

So.. any recommendations? Or should I just go with an aio? ( Would do a360mm for performance and aesthetics)

Thanks!

360mm aio would give far superior performance to any reasonably sized Air cooler and have no clearance issues.  H150i Pro with 3 extra ML120 fans would do nicely.

At that size I wouldn't call it the "dream" WC case, since you want as much space as possible to stack in your custom WC components in a case. I'd expect things to be a bit tight, even with some 360 AIOs. Anyways, you might want to look at something like this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fyJkcf/alphacool-eisbaer-360-639-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-11286

Yeah, that case just doesn't have clearance for proper air cooler. Not saying you can't have any. But for most performance, its AIO or custom loop oriented. As it lacks front intake, you would need to go for inverted airflow as in rear/top intake and exhaust to other compartment.

The usual suspects: Mugen 5, Fuma, Macho, Freezer 33 sSport, H7 Qual Lumi.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I may have exaggerated a bit when I said dream case for water-cooling. But it was built with that in mind.

Part of it is me cheaping out a bit, $150 for a 360mm aio is a bit expensive, and was hoping to get a air cooler for half or less. As much as I like the looks of it, perhaps I should have went with a more air cooler friendly case with proper clearance.

12 hours ago, B-dubya said:

I may have exaggerated a bit when I said dream case for water-cooling. But it was built with that in mind.

Part of it is me cheaping out a bit, $150 for a 360mm aio is a bit expensive, and was hoping to get a air cooler for half or less. As much as I like the looks of it, perhaps I should have went with a more air cooler friendly case with proper clearance.

The ones in my post do fit, and offer good performance.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

The ones in my post do fit, and offer good performance.

I've actually been looking through them this morning. The cryorig had great reviews, and looks sharp. I would probably consider adding a 2nd fan.

And then the mugen just looks beefy!

I try using pc part picker, but it would be nice if they added a search function for rated tdp!

2 minutes ago, B-dubya said:

I've actually been looking through them this morning. The cryorig had great reviews, and looks sharp. I would probably consider adding a 2nd fan.

And then the mugen just looks beefy!

I try using pc part picker, but it would be nice if they added a search function for rated tdp!

Rated TDP isn't important. It just tells you that cooler can keep CPU running without it overheating. I doubt you want coolers which can give you under 90C temps while they are meant to i5 or to be bit quieter than stock.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Rated TDP isn't important. It just tells you that cooler can keep CPU running without it overheating. I doubt you want coolers which can give you under 90C temps while they are meant to i5 or to be bit quieter than stock.

Perhaps, but it would at lease narrow down the results a bit. 

I don't think that many cooler manufacturers even give any (arbitrarily measured) TDP rating.

Scythe Mugen 5's 145,5mm would be likely best fit for clearance of that case.

4 hours ago, B-dubya said:

Perhaps, but it would at lease narrow down the results a bit. 

You can see relative performance here:

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.