Lag in games: GPU load changes rapidly.

RavenChan

As the title states, I’m having an issue with my gpu where in a few games, the gpu load changes very frequently if I use any of the in game controls and I’ve been able to link this rapid changing to the lag spikes I keep experiencing. I can’t provide screenshots right now since I’m on mobile. I’ve been having internet troubles for the past few days on my PC. In Fallout NV, Terraria, Clone Hero, Minecraft and Garry’s Mod, I have this issue and i’ve had it for the past half year. I have some not-so-good hardware anyway, but these are all games I shouldn’t have any trouble with. 

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 220 2.8 GHz

GPU: MSI GeForce GT 610

RAM: 6GB DDR3

I know I have bad hardware but these are all games I didn’t have issues with until a few months after getting the GT 610. Before that, I had no fps issues at all. In NV my framerate drops way more than it should. I’ll be getting a new GPU soon but I want to know why this even happened.

TBH, the issues you have are most probably caused by your obsolete hardware. :( 

9 minutes ago, Konrad_K said:

TBH, the issues you have are most probably caused by your obsolete hardware. :( 

Yeah but he shouldn't being having issues in Fallout NV, Terraria, Clone Hero, Minecraft and Garry’s Mod. As those games require nothing hardware wise

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

What was your previous GPU? Maybe there's bottleneck? idk. Your athlon II is probably old. Bottleneck? i am not sure if that's the problem. DON'T GET A NEW GPU! Firstly spend for new MOBO GPU and CPU. Cuz it will bottleneck much more if you get better card. If that's the problem. there's not much that you can do with AM3 socket MOBO so. but i don't know why on really old games the fps is low?!

46 minutes ago, Br3tt96 said:

Yeah but he shouldn't being having issues in Fallout NV, Terraria, Clone Hero, Minecraft and Garry’s Mod. As those games require nothing hardware wise

Minecraft- maybe no, G-mod- yeah a little bit NV- yeah, definitely 

1 hour ago, DOGEY said:

What was your previous GPU? Maybe there's bottleneck? idk. Your athlon II is probably old. Bottleneck? i am not sure if that's the problem. DON'T GET A NEW GPU! Firstly spend for new MOBO GPU and CPU. Cuz it will bottleneck much more if you get better card. If that's the problem. there's not much that you can do with AM3 socket MOBO so. but i don't know why on really old games the fps is low?!

My previous GPU was an integrated GPU that came with the board. A game like Minecraft on the old GPU, I’d only get about 20fps with Optifine. With the one I have now it used to get 100+ fps on max settings but now struggles to get 45 on the lowest settings even with Optifine. And if there’s a solution in the BIOS somehow, I can’t do it.

Maybe you have bad GPU or bad CPU need to replaced it or the GPU to be replaced i don't really know if that's gonna solve the problem try researching trough the internet for solution

11 minutes ago, DOGEY said:

Maybe you have bad GPU or bad CPU need to replaced it or the GPU to be replaced i don't really know if that's gonna solve the problem try researching trough the internet for solution

I checked the usages using Task manager and GPU-Z and I noticed that cpu usage in NV was around 50% - 70% while GPU load was all over the place but usually higher than CPU except for some spikes where it would dip to 30, 50 or 60. I think if the GPU load was consistently lower than CPU usage that would mean my cpu was bottlenecking it. My MSI GeForce GT 610 was pretty cheap when I bought it from Amazon last year so it’s likely bad. I mean so cheap it’s borderline shady.