Laptop for XP/win10 gaming

So I was thinking about building a PC for an XP gaming machine. However, In thinking I might want to find a laptop that will fit the bill, for portability, with also being able to dual boot to win7(or 10) for some newer lower spec requirement games.

I'm just not sure what to look for? 

I'd like to be able to play the Shadowrun series of games, I think that those would be the newest games I woulld want to play on it. I would be more focused towards the older XP games, but still ne able to play those games.

Elder Scrolls Oblivion is another game I can think of that would need higher specs. A lot of my GOG games are older too. Unreal Tournanent, and Crysis would be good (and dont have to be at the top graphics settings)

12 minutes ago, wdodge0912 said:

So I was thinking about building a PC for an XP gaming machine. However, In thinking I might want to find a laptop that will fit the bill, for portability, with also being able to dual boot to win7(or 10) for some newer lower spec requirement games.

I'm just not sure what to look for? 

I'd like to be able to play the Shadowrun series of games, I think that those would be the newest games I woulld want to play on it. I would be more focused towards the older XP games, but still ne able to play those games.

Elder Scrolls Oblivion is another game I can think of that would need higher specs. A lot of my GOG games are older too. Unreal Tournanent, and Crysis would be good (and dont have to be at the top graphics settings)

Maybe something like a Q6600 on LGA 775 should be a sweet spot for Windows XP and Windows 10 compatibility. For the GPU, you'll have to probably a couple generations down. GTX 700 series is the last series that has driver support for Windows XP.

In terms of laptops, it's going to be very hard as you're rarely going to get Windows XP drivers. For the most part, if a machine came with Windows Vista, the manufacturer is not going to have Windows XP drivers available for it. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Laptop wise, it's pretty tough as laptop GPUs weren't nearly as powerful as today. I'd stick to a desktop. The AM2+/AM3 and 775 platforms are a decent option. CPU support for XP is up to AMD FX and Intel's Lynnfield/Gulftown (some might say Sandy Bridge, but that's a mixed bag I've found). GPU wise, Nvidia's GTX 7xx series (excluding 750) is the highest you can go and for AMD that's the Rx 200 series.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

Laptop wise, it's pretty tough as laptop GPUs weren't nearly as powerful as today. I'd stick to a desktop. The AM2+/AM3 and 775 platforms are a decent option. CPU support for XP is up to AMD FX and Intel's Lynnfield/Gulftown (some might say Sandy Bridge, but that's a mixed bag I've found). GPU wise, Nvidia's GTX 7xx series (excluding 750) is the highest you can go and for AMD that's the Rx 200 series.

2 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Maybe something like a Q6600 on LGA 775 should be a sweet spot for Windows XP and Windows 10 compatibility. For the GPU, you'll have to probably a couple generations down. GTX 700 series is the last series that has driver support for Windows XP.

In terms of laptops, it's going to be very hard as you're rarely going to get Windows XP drivers. For the most part, if a machine came with Windows Vista, the manufacturer is not going to have Windows XP drivers available for it. 

thanks for the help. 

If I do a desktop I wont need newer OS support. Was trying to find something that was portable.

is there any laptops that would be able to run WinXP with a GPU that could do some gaming from back in the day? I think Vista would work too for an OS and playing the old games I want to, but not sure.

EDIT: I found an XPS laptop local for $60. I sent the guy an email askingnif he still had it and what model it was. It looks like a m1710

Also been looking on ebay, would something like this work?

The local $60 one is a XPS m1710  with the 7950gtx. just needs a new battery, which I found an extended life one for $23, and I also found a 4gb ram kit for $18.

what SSD could I put into it? I'm looking for 250gb ish. just want to make sure it's compatible with something that old