Best way to get thermal paste out of the socekt

I bought a used mobo, cpu combo for 40 dollars, and dont want to get rid of it yet without repairing. ive tried isoprpyl alcohol and the rag technique but am worried i messed it up even more, can someone give me some other ideas in a bulleted list that i can follow. Its an i7-860 and an ASUS SABERTOOTH 55i

I hAve an unfinished pc build. Pls dont bully for not having one yet or i cry.

Get some C3H8O (sorry, language barrier,  better go with chemical formular) and some Q-Tips and then clean, dry, clean, dry and so on untill no more gunk is visible.

I had mixed results, depending on a) the kind of paste (conductive vs. non conductive) and b) wether the previoues owner already tried some shady stuff and maybe even tried to booth with gunk still in the socket.

But calm hands, patience and mr.myagi style of wax on wax off are you best bet

1 minute ago, DudefromHamburg said:

Get some C3H8O (sorry, language barrier,  better go with chemical formular) and some Q-Tips and then clean, dry, clean, dry and so on untill no more gunk is visible.

I had mixed results, depending on a) the kind of paste (conductive vs. non conductive) and b) wether the previoues owner already tried some shady stuff and maybe even tried to booth with gunk still in the socket.

But calm hands, patience and mr.myagi style of wax on wax off are you best bet

i have the worlds unsteadiest hands, and im sure the paste that was on it (has since been replaced with some cooler master paste) was the cheap intel paste that comes pre applied.

I hAve an unfinished pc build. Pls dont bully for not having one yet or i cry.

Brake cleaner in an aerosol can and then canned air.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430