The hardest choice in the world... qhd or 240hz...

zindan
3 minutes ago, zindan said:

Whut? Is that true? Then what is the point of gsync?  Each time I enable vsync it caps at 60 despite my hz

Gsync uses its own hardware. Vsync is more of a software gimmick that makes sure that the application that is rendering outputs the frame when it is fully rendered/updated. AT least that's how I understood the concept when I read about it

4 minutes ago, TheBeardyOne said:

If you are worried about tearing you can enforce vsync in the Nvidia control panel for your application. That might help with that. 

V sync fixes tearing but it introduces a whole host of other issues. Input lag is a lot worse and it also introduces a fair bit of stuttering. I unfortunately have a freesync monitor and nvidia gpu and both tearing and v sync are so annoying for me that I have to run games at above my monitor refresh rate and turn on fast sync. Adaptive sync is a much more elegant solution to the problem that makes running games at below the monitor refresh rate not cause tearing or stuttering. Sure, especially g sync might cost a fair but more but IMO it's worth it... Plus with 1440p 165 hz g sync panels they usually aren't too much more expensive than normal/freesync counterparts. You can grab a Dell S2417DG for only $50 more than the cheapest 1440p 144 hz monitors and if you want 27" its be another $50 on top of that.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

V sync fixes tearing but it introduces a whole host of other issues. Input lag is a lot worse and it also introduces a fair bit of stuttering. I unfortunately have a freesync monitor and nvidia gpu and both tearing and v sync are so annoying for me that I have to run games at above my monitor refresh rate and turn on fast sync. Adaptive sync is a much more elegant solution to the problem that makes running games at below the monitor refresh rate not cause tearing or stuttering. Sure, especially g sync might cost a fair but more but IMO it's worth it... Plus with 1440p 165 hz g sync panels they usually aren't too much more expensive than normal/freesync counterparts. You can grab a Dell S2417DG for only $50 more than the cheapest 1440p 144 hz monitors and if you want 27" its be another $50 on top of that.

I cannot deal with input lag. Specially when I play brawlhalla or fortnite. Its not possible nope. I will get destroyed by people if I get input lag. 

5 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

wouldn't just having the application to have a frambuffer of x-number of frames be an elegant solution to this aswell? Basically you would always be x-number of frames behind in terms of latency? Or Am i getting this idea wrong? ^^ 

5 minutes ago, zindan said:

I cannot deal with input lag. Specially when I play brawlhalla or fortnite. Its not possible nope. I will get destroyed by people if I get input lag. 

You will still be limited to your internet connection tho

1 minute ago, TheBeardyOne said:

I have 500 mb/s download and 100 mb/s upload. So That part is good.

3 minutes ago, zindan said:

I have 500 mb/s download and 100 mb/s upload. So That part is good.

well that's just your bandwidth, we are talking about the latency ;)

2 minutes ago, TheBeardyOne said:

well that's just your bandwidth, we are talking about the latency ;)

No idea what you are talking about. How do I know if my network is "enough" or whatever ? :P

Also a good way to deal with the input lag you have when enabling Vsyn is to limit the Application to just below the monitors refresh rate. That should deal with the input lag and you will have the benefits of vsync. 

EDIT: So if you have 60Hz on the monitor make sure the application is running at 59 Hz. 

Edited by TheBeardyOne
giving an example

5 minutes ago, zindan said:

No idea what you are talking about. How do I know if my network is "enough" or whatever ? :P

Latency is the Ping you have in your game :) but from what you said you won't have to deal with bad ping anyway (assuming the games servers aren't shit)

Just now, TheBeardyOne said:

Latency is the Ping you have in your game :) but from what you said you won't have to deal with bad ping anyway (assuming the games servers aren't shit)

Hopefully they are not. 

I'm gonna leave this thread now. 

I stand by my point: Gsync isn't worth in my opinion, there are free solutions to deal with common problems such as screen tearing and vsync input lag. Though it can be gimmicky to setup properly, it's still cheaper and more worth your time. You also learn some new things about technology which is always great. 

50 minutes ago, zindan said:

Whut? Is that true? Then what is the point of gsync?  Each time I enable vsync it caps at 60 despite my hz

The point of GSync is that it works on any FPS under the monitors max Hz without introducing input lag. 

VSync caps your FPS at your monitors max refresh rate only if you can render enough frames, if your FPS drop bellow that then VSync will cap the FPS at an evenly divisible number from the monitors Hz, so for example 60Hz monitor will cap at 60, 30, 15FPS.

144Hz will cap at 144, 72, 48, 24, 12FPS. So whenever you are unable to maintain 144FPS, you will drop to 72.

Also, it introduces quite a significant input lag. 

Nowadays 27 inch Omen 27 or dell s2716dg are best price/quality 1440p 165hz gsync

I've dell s2417dg and Im in love with it.

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

1 hour ago, zindan said:

Acer 27" LED Predator XB271HUA

^ This. EZPZ

Unless you solely play CSGO competitively to feed yourself. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

8 hours ago, TheBeardyOne said:

wouldn't just having the application to have a frambuffer of x-number of frames be an elegant solution to this aswell? Basically you would always be x-number of frames behind in terms of latency? Or Am i getting this idea wrong? ^^ 

I'm not 100% sure what you're saying...

8 hours ago, TheBeardyOne said:

You're referring to ping which is different from input lag. Input lag is the time between when you do an action on your keyboard/mouse and that action becomes presented on your monitor. Ping is the latency between your computer and whatever server you're connected to, which is completely different. Ping doesn't affect input lag because input lag isn't dependent upon how long it takes to get a response from the server. Yes higher ping can make enemies potentially jump around a bit more but it doesn't actually increase the latency of your input devices.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Unless you're very competitive no need really, if you don't mind 1080p and TN maybe but better to go 1440p high refresh rate as more balanced setup though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1440p@165hz no question

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒