I'm designing a mini ITX case from the ground up, what are your thoughts?

I'm currently designing a mini ITX case from the ground up, focused on watercooling. It should house a mini ITX Motherboard, a 240mm Radiator, video cards up to 220mm, two SSDs and a SFF PSU. Of course, the case will be closed off (by TG on the side, a mesh on the front and rear and a semi-open top). This case is very custom. You will need custom watercooling, a custom PCIe Slot adapter and probably more things I didn't think of.

My priorities are: airflow>design=user friendlieness

Just give me some thoughts on the basic layout and proportions of the case.

(It's actually 50mm longer as in the image)

ITX Case v2.png

Lenny

Looks pretty promising. Hopefully it won't cost $300 and be a total piece of shit like a lot of other individually-designed cases.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Looks pretty promising. Hopefully it won't cost $300 and be a total piece of shit like a lot of other individually-designed cases.

I think if I will build a prototype it's going to get expensive... Basically everything has to be CNC-milled or handmade.

Lenny

6 hours ago, DRK_fischele said:

I think if I will build a prototype it's going to get expensive... Basically everything has to be CNC-milled or handmade.

Lenny

Well, it's a prototype; of course it's going to be expensive. But if it ever goes into full production, I won't forgive you if you make it $300 :P 

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Well, it's a prototype; of course it's going to be expensive. But if it ever goes into full production, I won't forgive you if you make it $300 :P 

hehe, currently no contact to any case manufacturer, lower your expectations a bit

6 hours ago, DRK_fischele said:

hehe, currently no contact to any case manufacturer, lower your expectations a bit

issa joke my guy, sorry :P

Anyway, looks very cool. I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but maybe make a mockup using a flexATX PSU?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, DRK_fischele said:

Why a Flex ATX PSU?

Space savings

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Space savings

So just using the PSU as an outer shell, I'd thought there was something more about those PSUs I didn't know.

So I'm guessing the idea is to have your GPU watercooled too? because there's no room for airflow in that configuration for the GPU. Which means custom watercooling since hybrid cards dont come shorter than 220mm

https://www.amazon.com/Cooling-Gigabyte-GTX1070IXOC-GTX1070mini-GTX1080mini/dp/B01LN0VGY4

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

19 minutes ago, DRK_fischele said:

I'm currently designing a mini ITX case from the ground up, focused on watercooling. It should house a mini ITX Motherboard, a 240mm Radiator, video cards up to 220mm, two SSDs and a SFF PSU. Of course, the case will be closed off (by TG on the side, a mesh on the front and rear and a semi-open top).

My priorities are: airflow>design=user friendlieness

Just give me some thoughts on the basic layout and proportions of the case.

(It's actually 50mm longer as in the image)

Lenny

id personally go for a slimer footprint by rotating the rad 90° so its flat with the mobo and then do the same orientation for the psu maybe even put the radiator at the botton and the psu up net to the mobo? i like having the rad at the bottom just because water. well and because once filled its usually pretty heavy dpending on the rad so its nice to make the case no too easy to tip over.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

So I'm guessing the idea is to have your GPU watercooled too? because there's no room for airflow in that configuration for the GPU. Which means custom watercooling since hybrid cards dont come shorter than 220mm

https://www.amazon.com/Cooling-Gigabyte-GTX1070IXOC-GTX1070mini-GTX1080mini/dp/B01LN0VGY4

Yes, everything needs to be water cooled, anything else would be an airflow disaster.

5 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

id personally go for a slimer footprint by rotating the rad 90° so its flat with the mobo and then do the same orientation for the psu maybe even put the radiator at the botton and the psu up net to the mobo? i like having the rad at the bottom just because water. well and because once filled its usually pretty heavy dpending on the rad so its nice to make the case no too easy to tip over.

While the footprint gets smaller, the case gains in height. Putting the rad at the bottom would mean an additional 50mm. That's not really what I'm going for.

6 minutes ago, DRK_fischele said:

Yes, everything needs to be water cooled, anything else would be an airflow disaster.

I dont know exactly how tall the GPU is with the block on it, but it will probably be about 25mm taller than the GPU without it, so thats something to keep in mind when designing this (its hard to tell how tall the GPU can be from this angle)

For example, the GTX 1080 mini is 164mm tall (Dunno if that included the barbed fittings sticking out the ends or not though)

https://www.zotac.com/gb/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-arcticstorm-mini#spec

So a card like that probably wouldnt be able to be used. It will be interesting to see what actually fits in this tight of a space

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I dont know exactly how tall the GPU is with the block on it, but it will probably be about 25mm taller than the GPU without it, so thats something to keep in mind when designing this (its hard to tell how tall the GPU can be from this angle)

For example, the GTX 1080 mini is 164mm tall (Dunno if that included the barbed fittings sticking out the ends or not though)

https://www.zotac.com/gb/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-arcticstorm-mini#spec

So a card like that probably wouldnt be able to be used. It will be interesting to see what actually fits in this tight of a space

I'm currently working with a 3D model of a Zotac GTX 1060 AMP! with a custom waterblock. It's about 20-30mm shorter in every directioin, but even with the 1080Ti it should work.

29 minutes ago, DRK_fischele said:

While the footprint gets smaller, the case gains in height. Putting the rad at the bottom would mean an additional 50mm. That's not really what I'm going for.

not sur what you mean but just to be clear heres what i mean 

image.png.8204aad33d78b1abac4bc363e1270361.png

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

From my roughly mocked up layout that's not really more compact... (Didn't have a fitting reservoir on hand tho). It's thinner, but wider.

Screenshot (362).png

2 hours ago, DRK_fischele said:

From my roughly mocked up layout that's not really more compact... (Didn't have a fitting reservoir on hand tho). It's thinner, but wider.

Screenshot (362).png

His configurations would allow for significantly more GPU length, Which would therefore increase the function of the case to more users who maybe want to use a reference PCB design. This is of course asssuming this would be a case thats being marketed, no one just for yourself. 

If this is just for yourself and you're not designing it with other users in mind, then Screw it. Build it to match your ideal build!