Linux for Dummies? Anyone can suggest a good website to self learn?

Go to solution Solved by jj9987,

Hey guys. 

You all aware that depending on your location, you will have different search results, so I wanted to ask if you can suggest, or have a good website to suggest , to self learn Linux.

Thank you in advance! 

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

Storage - Samsung 970 EvoPlus 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB + 6TB HDD,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

Sound - Logitech Z906 5.1 THX Surround Sound Speaker System

Hopefully i am not breaking anyways or "hi-jacking" this post. BUT, i too would love something like this. i wanted to switch to Linux but could not learn anything by having to "search" one question at a time, Every time i wanted to learn how to do something

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

7 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

Thank you, dear Samaritan.

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

Also worth flipping through this: https://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/linux/linux-for-dummies-cheat-sheet/

I'd also recommend getting the full book as well, if you can swing it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Also worth flipping through this: https://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/linux/linux-for-dummies-cheat-sheet/

I'd also recommend getting the full book as well, if you can swing it.

Thank you!

Whenever I need to learn more about a specific program and the man pages aren't doing it for me, I will use the Arch Wiki. It's also helpful even if you are not using an Arch based distro https://wiki.archlinux.org/

Once you get started, if you run into any snags... get your favorite irc client (x-chat, irssi, weechat, whatever), and go to:

server: irc.freenode.net

and most distros have some sort of help channel chat there.

Example: #ubuntu #kubuntu #lubuntu #xubuntu #debian #arch #elementary #gentoo #centos #redhat

etc etc etc

Also, I do really suggest the actual dummies books, I learned linux a loooong time ago off them, and they are pretty straight forward.

On 7/17/2018 at 12:30 AM, EPENEX said:

Whenever I need to learn more about a specific program and the man pages aren't doing it for me, I will use the Arch Wiki. It's also helpful even if you are not using an Arch based distro https://wiki.archlinux.org/

On 7/13/2018 at 12:54 PM, Koeshi said:

edx offers several free Linux courses and then you can get certification for passing them later of you choose to: https://www.edx.org/course?search_query=linux

On 7/18/2018 at 9:20 PM, AdamTheSlave said:

Once you get started, if you run into any snags... get your favorite irc client (x-chat, irssi, weechat, whatever), and go to:

server: irc.freenode.net

and most distros have some sort of help channel chat there.

Example: #ubuntu #kubuntu #lubuntu #xubuntu #debian #arch #elementary #gentoo #centos #redhat

etc etc etc

Also, I do really suggest the actual dummies books, I learned linux a loooong time ago off them, and they are pretty straight forward.

Thank you guys! 

Appreciate it! 

By any chance, you have some suggestions regarding TCP/UDP, where to learn?

I found easily information about it.

But when I am asked about it, if  I know it, I don't understand the question. 

I mean, what is so special that I need to learn about it?

18 hours ago, keavlar said:

Thank you guys! 

Appreciate it! 

Any data you want to transfer will be segemnted and wrapped in TCP or UDP, TCP is more developed and has features such as packet verification whereas UDP is a lot more simple. Each has its upsides or downsides, in critical infrastructure TCP is good because of packet verification but you would never run a VPN through TCP because due to the high chances of a packet drops happening a lot you could be stuck in a loop of TCP waiting for packet verification whereas UDP does not care if a packet was received or not. There is a lot more you can read into it.

On 7/24/2018 at 3:05 AM, keavlar said:

Thank you guys! 

Appreciate it! 

You might want to look into Network+ 07 or 06 video series on youtube or CCENT/CCNA video series

Also if you want to take your knowledge to the next step and don't mind giving up a seamless gaming experience I highly suggest completely getting rid of windows and using Debian as your main OS. Force you self to do everything through Debian and you will learn a lot.