Linus inspired desk pc

derr12

I have so much cleaning to do now that the heavy lifting is done, lol. Wife will be pleased.

Oh, I may decide to leave off the rad fans. Need to overclock to be sure. I’m basically getting room temp idle cpu temps without them.

Tried to heat soak this thing with repeat Cinnabench runs and time spy. Can’t get the cpu hotter than 38c and gpu hotter than 44c. And that’s without any radiator fans. It idles at 27c and 34c. Pump speed doesn’t seem to matter same result at 800rpm vs 1800rpm. 

Gonna tinker with overclocks tonight and see how hot I can get it. 

I hear overclocked vega64’s put out heat, tho I’m not sure even Vega can put the hurt on a 1260mm rad.

It is a bit of a lift. I at least have a system now where I lift the glass and lean it up against the back wall when I’m working on it. And if I sell the house, I guess this thing stays here.

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, kiddo459 said:

how did you attach the magnetic fan filter?

it was one of those triple 140mm fan kits.  there is a magnet with tape on one side that comes with the kit.  stick magnet to front, stick fan filter to magnet.

• 10 months later...

Had my loop apart for maintenance and cleaning.  I decided to re-design the fan/radiator mounting system.  The metal fan bracket is functional, but kind of clanky.  built a box that mates to the edges of the rad with some rubber foam weather stripping, then added the weather stripping to the bottom of the rad. Airtight and should isolate vibration. 

Decided to add 4 more 200mm fans to a box on the bottom as well,  once that is complete ill just get 4 bolts to go thru the entire thing and snug it all up.  Should be able to get sufficient airflow thru the rad at ultra low RPMs now.

FDFW7745.JPG

IMG_0618.JPG

IMG_0619.JPG

This build is so sick dude, I have to congratulate you on how good it looks so far.

I've been thinking about doing this since Linus did his - I think this has definitely convinced me to go ahead and do it now!

5 hours ago, ir8munk33 said:

This build is so sick dude, I have to congratulate you on how good it looks so far.

I've been thinking about doing this since Linus did his - I think this has definitely convinced me to go ahead and do it now!

The one thing i think i would do different is use larger diameter tubing or build a very long distributor out of acrylic.  The runs are very long.  Also, im still mad that my EK blocks started to rust.  you pretty much have to use the premix coolant since they used steel parts in them.

It really is not very hard to do.  And watercooling is totally optional, because of the way the air runs thru it, i was getting great temps and low noise before i got it wet.

Im thinking about having the fabricator cut me some thin steel sheet to wrap the front and sides with, then use gun-blueing to color it. will be more dent resistant from the kids and will allow for magnetic filters to stick without the hassle of the taped on magnet.

oh and the other thing id recommend is having the store use their saw jig to cut everything (like linus did).  The sheet was too big to push thru my table saw, so i was using a skillsaw. evrything has a tiny bit of variance in size as a result. Order your glass AFTER the thing is built so you dont end up with glass that doesn't fit due to measurement/design errors.

The psu cable hider fits!

someone said my cables were ugly way back. They were right. This should help.

image.jpg

Filled and leak tested.  Cables sorta run, need to zip tie a few things.  Cable hider box doing its thing. 

Just waiting on paint to to install the bottom fan box. 

BA56373E-C994-41EC-9F61-69FA396B48B0.jpeg

• 4 months later...

So some commentary on this desk pc. 

Ive found that the top edges are too weak, they are starting to crack and break apart. I’m also not a fan of how much leg room I have. Also don’t like how the tube runs work. I’m starting to plan Desk PC build v2.  Will re-use the glass but have all the components in a full height cabinet on the right side.