Linus inspired desk pc

derr12

Looking great so far. What colour are you going to paint the desk when it's finished?

Are the holes at the front of the desk going to be for intake or outtake? Did you consider putting them on the sides instead to avoid having air blow back towards you while you're sitting at the desk, or were there other factors involved like objects/walls that would block the vents if placed on the side of the desk?

You should tag @LinusTech to see if Linus has any feedback and suggestions on the desk design since he's been using his desk PC for quite a while now. He might have discovered some flaws in the design that he would change if building it again, or just have some general advice.

Also, I'm not sure if it's the camera angle or the way you're holding it, but... :D

On 8/4/2018 at 5:15 AM, derr12 said:

IMG_0204[1].JPG

hitZsOV.gif.a6aab16180b1a6fbac0eafb8ddb479f7.gif

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 hours ago, Spotty said:

Looking great so far. What colour are you going to paint the desk when it's finished?

Are the holes at the front of the desk going to be for intake or outtake? Did you consider putting them on the sides instead to avoid having air blow back towards you while you're sitting at the desk, or were there other factors involved like objects/walls that would block the vents if placed on the side of the desk?

You should tag @LinusTech to see if Linus has any feedback and suggestions on the desk design since he's been using his desk PC for quite a while now. He might have discovered some flaws in the design that he would change if building it again, or just have some general advice.

Also, I'm not sure if it's the camera angle or the way you're holding it, but... :D

hitZsOV.gif.a6aab16180b1a6fbac0eafb8ddb479f7.gif

I actually have a giant arsed radiator at the other end that’s gonna be firing downward. The ones in the front are intake. Gonna paint it some combination of black. Likely flat or matte black in the interior and possibly glossy black with a urathane or some other kind of hard finish. 

I swear it’s not my bag, baby.

06A121AA-9D6F-4633-B1EA-998F3F008DD3.jpeg

Cleaned up the tray a little with the grinder, still needs a bit of time with the file. Mounted to glued mdf standoff’s. Nice snug fit. 

485B041F-2579-40AA-BF55-7B157FF1B6E0.jpeg

And a bit of a teaser. I’m still drinking on how I’m gonna mount the gpu... but it will be raised up a fair bit I think In order to accommodate a 90degree fitting to go to the cpu with only one bend.

5E115769-BF90-4658-B1DE-D4BC03AC862F.jpeg

My psu hole is ugly due to my poor workmanship with the jigsaw. Decided that I could cut out the back of the psu mount from my doner case, grind it flat, and kill two birds with one stone (fix ugly hole and solve psu mounting conundrum). Also ordered my power button from frozen cpu. Shipping was twice the cost of the button, but that’s life in soviet Canada comrade...

I grossly overestimated the length of my pci-e extension cable, my mistake may require me to use an x8 instead of an x16 slot. Gonna gut the pc tonight and see.

No need, it’s clearly too short and I ordered the wrong kind, it’s clearly not for my application. Newegg has one for me that will work tho. Glued in the block it will screw to anyways. Not 100% sure the bracket I stole off the back of the case will work as intended. If not I can find some other solution. 

Nice project! Are you going to leave it wood color or are you going to paint it(black or something)?

Also, please don't tell me that motherboard is what you intend to use for your desk PC.

3 hours ago, timl132 said:

Nice project! Are you going to leave it wood color or are you going to paint it(black or something)?

Also, please don't tell me that motherboard is what you intend to use for your desk PC.

Paint for sure, Some form of black, haven't decided on the finish type. 

And what? you dont think i should watercool and overclock to the max that ripping powerful pentium 4? #Netburstlivesmatter

Ive actually got a x370/ryzen 1700 and vega 64 going in there.  I salvaged that board from our boneyard at work to use for fitting stuff, can keep using my rig and not worry about sawdust on it that way. 

I plan on going 7NM ryzen when that becomes available too.

Just now, derr12 said:

Paint for sure, Some form of black, haven't decided on the finish type. 

And what? you dont think i should watercool and overclock to the max that ripping powerful pentium 4? #Netburstlivesmatter

Ive actually got a x370/ryzen 1700 and vega 64 going in there.  I salvaged that board from our boneyard at work to use for fitting stuff, can keep using my rig and not worry about sawdust on it that way. 

I plan on going 7NM ryzen when that becomes available too.

Ah good, I'm waiting for the new ryzens too. ;)

But I would love to see a pentium oc'ed to the max though.

Looking awesome so far! ive been contemplating doing something similar but i have zero wood working skills. 

10 hours ago, Rethilgore said:

Looking awesome so far! ive been contemplating doing something similar but i have zero wood working skills. 

you know, you could give it a go, and order the glass to fit afterwards.  it's actually pretty forgiving.  The hardest part was working with the full size mdf sheet. its too heavy to run thru a table saw by yourself Unless you have a proper woodworking setup.  if you have help it makes it a lot easier.  I just used the skillsaw.for most of it, and the amount of imperfections shows as a result.  if you do like linus did and have the home depot make all the major cuts for you it makes it a lot easier. Ive never made anything like this before. all ive ever built is sheds and decks and such, often under the supervision of the old man. It helps that ive been doing that kind of stuff with him since I was a wee lad.

If it keeps ya off the streets, the woodwork is the cheap part and its kind of a fun project (even if you fuck it up and it ends up as firewood), I think the wood and wood-glue was around 100 canadian pesos. 

Im actually pretty sure the GPU mount is going to be a bit more ghetto and ratty than id like (even tho it will be stable enough), Fortunately once the desk is installed, i wont have to look at that side.  ive got a little more than the clearance of the door to my gun safes on the other side, so nobody will want to go back there for close inspection.

Started filling in some gaps today. The bigger ones are filled with sawdust and glue. I drilled holes for the rad screws. Need to pick up some screws that are the right length yet and some washers. Finished grinding and cleaning up the psu bracket and cut some screw relief holes for the gpu bracket. Tomorrow I’ll hit with drywall mud, sand and possibly hit it all with the primer. I still have to drill in the fan mount holes too. I’m probably going to wait to mount the Rez and pump till I’m ready to test fit my mobo and block. Tube runs will determine how they find their final locations. I gotta hit a craft store and see if I can find some 1mm felt for going under the glass. Probably end up gluing that to the painted wood for moisture protection rather than bare mdf.

Oh and I sourced some grating for under the rad to keep fingers out of there. I figure I’ll cut in about the depth of the grate so it’s flush. I may end up using epoxy to secure it so the rad doesnt have to fight with bolt heads. 

Got the first bit of drywall mud on the areas that need it to hide the board ends. May get to sanding tonight and tomorrow I’m useing a shellac based primer. It’s compatible with mdf and drywall mud. Probably just tremclad black my metal bits. I will seek professional advice from the paint store tomorrow for choice of paint and top coat. I’m thinking a chalk black paint and matte Polyacrylic.

First sand and a few fresh patches of mud added. One more sand job. I don’t have the right size bit for my power button. Gotta source one. Imperfections should be mostly invisible here shortly.

47A514A2-540C-446E-A52B-88E9AA3CAC62.jpeg

685D69D2-91E4-49DE-A986-CBDDBB3524E5.jpeg

Radiator hole grill (keeping children’s fingers out) should be arriving shortly from the fabricator. I’m gonna dremel out the little edge for it tomorrow maybe. Need to do that and add a few more holes before I primer it. Then I’ll have to dismantle my pc to start planning pump and res location, drill holes for those.

In memory of my recently deceased friend Dave. this build (regardless of its worth) is being dedicated to him. Even in his last few days he actually took the time in his few waking hours to check my progress. I assume out of bordum... the palliative care unit has restrictive wifi. They may be short of wifi, but the staff at Shuswap general is top notch.

And may your retirement be blessed with many topless servers of drink.

Test run on the shellac based primer. Can’t use a standard brush unless I want to spend days sanding down the ridges. Sent the wife to get me foam. Hit the grill from the scrap yard with some tremclad after grinding off the jaggies. 

226DC66B-2259-4250-B3DF-E30C24C4B7E0.jpeg

1DA8F54D-D878-4DBF-8DE1-7E6CF3A3B877.jpeg

First coat of black. Benjamin Moore’s advance, pearl black. It’s a bit cold today this paint was wierd in the cold. 

F12E4780-8EF7-4EFF-8AE5-3A49EE214151.jpeg

I’m trying the pearl on the inside first to see how shiny it is. I may use the same on the outside or I may go for a higher gloss there. That’s why I didn’t do the outside at the same time.