Valermos

Twin Core X9's - Name TBD

Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, Voxels-Box said:

How fine of a grit did you wet sand down to?  When I was painting some case panels I did, I ended up sanding down to 3000 grit, and when I did the clear coat, it crinkled up like cellophane wrapping in some areas.  Did you use any isopropyl alcohol or mentholated spirits before clear coating?

I only went down to 1000 grit, I followed some vid from geforce garage on case painting.

The full steps I did were:
Rough sand with like 600 grit

Washed everything with hot water and dish soap (was literally in the bathtub for this)

Let everything dry for a few days

Wiped each piece down with a tac cloth, then did primer coat

Let it dry for a few days inside my house.

Wet sanded primer with warm soapy water and 1,000 grit paper on a soft sponge

Washed everything with hot water and dish soap (same as before), squeaky clean literally.

Let everything dry for a few days

Wiped each piece down with a tac cloth, then did base white coat one piece at a time. Two cloats about 10 minutes apart.

Let everything dry inside the house for a several days.

-(Everything looked good up to this point)-.

Wiped each piece down with tac cloth then did clear coat, two coats about 15 minutes apart.

Turned blotchy yellow. /shrug

Think I am going to abandon white and a gloss finish. Go for something dark and satin.

i75820K / X99 Deluxe / 32GB DDR4 / Titan X / U3415W

17 minutes ago, Valermos said:

-Snip-

You definitely seem to have taken all the right steps. 

I dont know what paint you used, but was two coats sufficient?  I remember doing at least 3-4 coats, depending on the piece. (Im no paint expert btw)

I hope the repaint goes smoothly!

CPU - 1700X 4gHz | CPU Cooler - EK and Singularity Custom Loop | Motherboard -  Asus X370 Crosshair VI w/ EK Monoblock | RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz w/ Silver Paint| Graphics Card - Asus GTX 1080ti Strix OC w/ EK Fullcover block with custom vertical mount | Power Supply - Corsair HX750i w/ self made Custom Cables and 3D printed Combs | Storage - 3x 3TB, 2TB HDD | Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME SSD, 500GB OCZ SSD | Case - Lian Li PC-09 Custom paint | Colour Theme - Silver & Black & RGB lights

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Logitech G655 Mouse/Wacom Intuos Pro5 Med 2x LG 29UM65-P Ultrawide Monitors

5 hours ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Says the guy that decided to paint his case completely white  :P

Actually the case was already white lol