Capture 2.4ghz radio waves with wifi card?

babadoctor
Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,
59 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

congrats on 14k posts

So would it not be possible to capture those frequencies? :( 

If the RC happened to land on one of those channels, then sure. But it really depends on how the RC was encoded on the RF level so it's likely you won't get anything meaningful out of it.

Can I capture 2.4 ghz radio waves that come from a remote control for a cheap toy drone and then play them back whenever I want?

https://www.amazon.com/SYMA-2-4G-Camera-Quadcopter-2-0MP/dp/B00MNG37C2

It's this drone, and the remote is 2.4ghz, however the range is like 50 feet. 

I own this antenna

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M9F08JR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is it possible to play back the recorded signals with this antenna?

I was thinking something similar to this

But with my wifi card.

Thanks

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

No, RC uses FHSS technologies and specific frequencies which wifi equipment can't receive.

It is not as simple as 2.4GHz = 2.4GHz.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

No, RC uses FHSS technologies and specific frequencies which wifi equipment can't receive.

It is not as simple as 2.4GHz = 2.4GHz.

Don't forget the possiblities of phase shifting and frequency shifting.

On another point, "2.4 GHz" usually means a range of frequencies that are close enough to 2.4 GHz (also known as the 2.4 GHz band). It doesn't actually mean these devices run at 2.4 GHz. For example, 802.11n channel 1 is at 2.412 GHz while channel 11 is at 2.462 GHz.

31 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

On another point, "2.4 GHz" usually means a range of frequencies that are close enough to 2.4 GHz (also known as the 2.4 GHz band). It doesn't actually mean these devices run at 2.4 GHz. For example, 802.11n channel 1 is at 2.412 GHz while channel 11 is at 2.462 GHz.

congrats on 14k posts

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

59 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

congrats on 14k posts

If the RC happened to land on one of those channels, then sure. But it really depends on how the RC was encoded on the RF level so it's likely you won't get anything meaningful out of it.

You could use a software defined radio like HackRF One or in some cases much cheaper ones made based on some DVB-T receivers. That gives you access to raw radio signal and not what WiFi chip is processing to be WiFi channels.

6 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

More critically: It's highly unlikely that the system can in any way have direct access to the WiFi radio signal. Much more likely would be that the WiFi card's controller handles all the radio stuff and then just hands the decoded data to the system much like a normal, wired, NIC.

Would it not be a better idea to try modify the controller to send signals on the antenna? 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 hour ago, vorticalbox said:

Would it not be a better idea to try modify the controller to send signals on the antenna? 

I have no idea where to BEGIN if I were to modify the controller to transmit with the antenna

Wouldn't the power output of the controller not be enough for the antenna?

4 hours ago, babadoctor said:

I have no idea where to BEGIN if I were to modify the controller to transmit with the antenna

Wouldn't the power output of the controller not be enough for the antenna?

maybe, I'm not really sure but the controller as an antenna it uses to send so there is no reason you couldn't replace that with a more powerful one

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

4 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

maybe, I'm not really sure but the controller as an antenna it uses to send so there is no reason you couldn't replace that with a more powerful one

Yeah, but would it transmit if I just attached the antenna?

Doesn't the signal need to be powerful enough with something like a repeater to transmit up the antenna?