HDD power saving?

Mixzzz

Currently I have the windows configured to turn off HDDs after 10mins not to save power(lol, AMD system here :D) but it just makes the system much quieter. Can that have a negative effect on the HDD and its lifespan?

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

1 minute ago, Mixzzz said:

Currently I have the windows configured to turn off HDDs after 10mins not to save power(lol, AMD system here :D) but it just makes the system much quieter. Can that have a negative effect on the HDD and its lifespan?

Not a huge amount but it will be noticeable in terms of load times since the drive has to then spin back up to speed before seeking data.

Ahh, I don't mind that. I have set up that I only need 1 active HDD and others can just power off because I don't need them all the time. So it looks I'm good then.

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

7 minutes ago, Mixzzz said:

Ahh, I don't mind that. I have set up that I only need 1 active HDD and others can just power off because I don't need them all the time. So it looks I'm good then.

You'll be alright then. Power save is nice if you want dead silence depending on your setup, in mine the HDD was the loudest thing next to my water pump.

1 minute ago, W-L said:

You'll be alright then. Power save is nice if you want dead silence depending on your setup, in mine the HDD was the loudest thing next to my water pump.

Well, the PSU fan is still loud but the HDD introduces some vibrations which are annoying