G sync with v sync?

charbel1011

Should g sync and v sync in nvidia control panel need both to be turned on? and in game v sync off?

Depends what you want. 

GSync with VSync will use GSync when below the monitor's maximum refresh rate, then switch to VSync when you go over it. This will prevent tearing, but in the event you go over your monitors refresh rate, you may encounter the input delay that VSync can cause. 

GSync without VSync will use GSync when below the monitor's maximum refresh rate, then turn off GSync and allow the game to run above the monitor's refresh rate if you go over it. This means you don't get the input delay VSync can cause, but it also means you may encounter tearing when over the monitor's refresh rate. 

If you have VSync enabled in Nvidia control panel, you should have it off in game. If you have it on, there's a chance it will try to use VSync when below the monitor's refresh rate as well. 

4 minutes ago, charbel1011 said:

Should g sync and v sync in nvidia control panel need both to be turned on? and in game v sync off?

Vsync technology caps your frame rate at the refresh rate of the monitor to eliminate tearing. Gsync / Freesync technology makes sure that there is no screen tear, regardless of your frame rate. In other words, if you have one, you don’t need the other. Gsync is way more recommended than Vsync.

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Depends what you want. 

GSync with VSync will use GSync when below the monitor's maximum refresh rate, then switch to VSync when you go over it. This will prevent tearing, but in the event you go over your monitors refresh rate, you may encounter the input delay that VSync can cause. 

GSync without VSync will use GSync when below the monitor's maximum refresh rate, then turn off GSync and allow the game to run above the monitor's refresh rate if you go over it. This means you don't get the input delay VSync can cause, but it also means you may encounter tearing when over the monitor's refresh rate. 

If you have VSync enabled in Nvidia control panel, you should have it off in game. If you have it on, there's a chance it will try to use VSync when below the monitor's refresh rate as well. 

I have v sync off in game and v sync on in nvidia control panel only. but the problem im encountering right now is v sync is causing small input lag and im feeling it.

Just now, CyberFern0 said:

Vsync technology caps your frame rate at the refresh rate of the monitor to eliminate tearing. Gsync / Freesync technology makes sure that there is no screen tear, regardless of your frame rate. In other words, if you have one, you don’t need the other. Gsync is way more recommended than Vsync.

But if i use g sync alone without vsync i get screen tearing really bad

Just now, charbel1011 said:

I have v sync off in game and v sync on in nvidia control panel only. but the problem im encountering right now is v sync is causing small input lag and im feeling it.

Then turn VSync off, though you may encounter tearing above the monitor's refresh rate.

Just now, charbel1011 said:

But if i use g sync alone without vsync i get screen tearing really bad

That's because you're not using GSync when you're getting tearing, it's turned off when running above the monitor's refresh rate. You basically have to choose between tearing and no input delay and no tearing but input delay. 

You could use Nvidia DSR to try to make the game harder to run, so it stays below your monitor's refresh rate. Then you'll be using GSync. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Then turn VSync off, though you may encounter tearing above the monitor's refresh rate.

Yes i do encounter tearing obove the monitor's refresh rate. there's no middle solution in here jeez.

8 minutes ago, charbel1011 said:

Yes i do encounter tearing obove the monitor's refresh rate. there's no middle solution in here jeez.

what I do ... is turn Gsync on in control panel.  and turn on Vsync in game.

for Rocket League (and others that have this feature) I set the max refresh to 160Hz (the max of my display).

That way.  Vsync caps the FPS at the top end and i get sync anywhere in between.

Havent really noticed any lag.  Esp. in RL.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

2 hours ago, charbel1011 said:

G-Sync only works up to the maximum refresh rate of your monitor. If your framerate is higher than that, G-Sync will turn off.

The V-Sync setting controls what happens when you are outside the G-Sync range. If you have it on, then V-Sync will be used. If you have it off, then nothing will be used, and you will get tearing when you pass outside of G-Sync's operating range.

• 3 years later...

I know I'm quite late to this, but for anyone still seeing this thread. I think setting your maximum fps in your control panel to the same as your maximum refresh rate will do the trick.

• 1 year later...

Nowadays most people know that you should use V-Sync and G-Sync together. Most people enable V-Sync in the control panel, but I've heard that you should enable V-Sync in-game instead, because it may contain specific in-game optimizations. If V-Sync is enabled in-game and off in the control panel, will that change the way it affects G-Sync?

Ryzen 5 2600X / ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 / G.Skill RIPJAWS V 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz CL15 / Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming 8GB OC / Corsair RM650X 2018 / Crucial BX500 240GB / Seagate Barracauda 2TB 7200RPM Cooler Master MasterBox E500L /  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ // Rog Orion / Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro / Cooler Master MasterKeys Lite L / Xbox One Red Sport  Special Edition Controller for Windows

15 hours ago, DSD27 said:

Nowadays most people know that you should use V-Sync and G-Sync together. Most people enable V-Sync in the control panel, but I've heard that you should enable V-Sync in-game instead, because it may contain specific in-game optimizations. If V-Sync is enabled in-game and off in the control panel, will that change the way it affects G-Sync?

I'd recommend to just force V-Sync on through the GPU driver. I'm running it like that for 5+ years by now and haven't run into a game that has issues by now. There's nothing to optimize, it's just a forced fps cap at the monitor's refresh rate. And some games even cap the fps to 60 when using V-Sync, even though your monitor is 144Hz. So just enable it in the driver, then disable it in the games you play.

It's also recommended to set a global fps cap in your GPU driver that's 1 fps or so lower than your refresh rate. Even when your game is showing 144 fps, it can occationally jump to 145 and go out of the G-Sync window. So that's what the lower fps cap counteracts.

If you have specific games where you don't want your fps capped, then go into the application specific 3d-settings and disable the fps cap and v-sync for that specific game.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

21 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

I'd recommend to just force V-Sync on through the GPU driver. I'm running it like that for 5+ years by now and haven't run into a game that has issues by now. There's nothing to optimize, it's just a forced fps cap at the monitor's refresh rate. And some games even cap the fps to 60 when using V-Sync, even though your monitor is 144Hz. So just enable it in the driver, then disable it in the games you play.

It's also recommended to set a global fps cap in your GPU driver that's 1 fps or so lower than your refresh rate. Even when your game is showing 144 fps, it can occationally jump to 145 and go out of the G-Sync window. So that's what the lower fps cap counteracts.

If you have specific games where you don't want your fps capped, then go into the application specific 3d-settings and disable the fps cap and v-sync for that specific game.

I've been experimenting in Hogwarts Legacy and it seems the game runs smoother with in-game V-Sync. If it d'esnm't affect G-Sync maybe I'll use it,

Yeah I use Low Latency and cap FPS to 3 FPSs below my monitor's refresh rate,

Ryzen 5 2600X / ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 / G.Skill RIPJAWS V 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz CL15 / Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming 8GB OC / Corsair RM650X 2018 / Crucial BX500 240GB / Seagate Barracauda 2TB 7200RPM Cooler Master MasterBox E500L /  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ // Rog Orion / Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro / Cooler Master MasterKeys Lite L / Xbox One Red Sport  Special Edition Controller for Windows