Asus FX503VD budget gaming laptop

porina

lappy.jpg.a875c511e1a45f63206282160342afe9.jpg

Introduction

I’ll cover the Asus FX503VD-DM078T which I bought to replace my expired MSI GE62 6QF. Both of these were bought as gaming laptops in the 15.6” size class. I realised I did a lot less gaming on a laptop than a thought, but it also was not a zero amount. I didn’t want to spend as much as the £1250 the MSI cost in December 2015. Now it is April 2018 and the Asus was £600, or half the cost. It should be noted this specific Asus model is different than that offered at most other places, which is suffixed DM080T. As far as I can tell, the only difference is in the storage. The ’78 I got has a 256GB SSD. The ’80 has a 1TB HD. The ’80 pricing starts from £700, but at time of writing it also includes Sea of Thieves and another Intel software pack I can’t find any details of. As I don’t care for the software, the cheaper model with SSD is better value.

Box contents

As a budget laptop there wasn’t much in there, covering the essentials. You get the power brick, the power cable for the local region, and 4 screws in case you want to fit a 2.5” drive later on. More on that later.

Early impressions

On first boot there was the usual Win10 stuff to turn off, decline, and wondering if Cortana understood here I told her to go. Once that is over, you get an Asus registration screen, where you can opt in to their mailing list, and a McAfee account. I declined the latter.

Once in, the laptop downloaded the latest bios for itself and asked to be rebooted. This was pretty fast and is a nice touch to keep updated.

Apart from some Asus tools, the only other bundled software was McAfee anti-virus and web protection. No thanks, away that went. I haven’t looked further at the Asus included software yet, but unlike other laptops the system tray isn’t littered with additional software icons.

I started customising the layout to how I like it when I realised it shipped with Win10 Creators Update. Ok, time for a not so quick trip to Windows Update to bring it up to Fall Creators Update. At the time of writing the early 2018 update hasn’t been released yet, so that is something to look forward to.

Physical features

External ports - to the left of the laptop are the power socket, ethernet, HDMI, two USB, and a headphone socket. To the right is a SD card reader, another USB port, and Kensington lock receptacle. Only the left two USB ports are indicated as SuperSpeed.

memtestscreen.jpg.e589a091b221e046c0605d7690d60090.jpg

Keyboard is UK layout unlike my previous modified US layout. As a minor comment the F keys are slightly shifted right compared to typical full sized keyboards, which seems unnecessary since there is space between F1 and Escape which could be reduced. Also there is no numlock indicator LED, or physical PgUp/PgDn keys. The only way to get them is to turn off numlock and use the numpad. I’m going to have to learn to use touchpad scrolling as substitute.

The touchpad is large and generally responsive to movements. It doesn’t have separate physical buttons for left/right click, instead it goes for the whole pad is a button thing. This might take some getting used to as it is the first time I owned such an arrangement. Scrolling can be done by multi-touch, defaulting to Apple style direction, or the opposite to the more common wheel mouse. 

screenangle.jpg.aa7c748a861181bd0d3854016bbac7c0.jpg

Screen seems to be TN. The vertical viewing angles leave something to be desired but once you settle into position it is fine. Horizontal viewing angle is not a problem. Colours seem to be ok. At least it is matte so no worries about reflections.

The laptop construction is mostly plastic, but it is textured and feels more premium than it sounds.

Core components

Ram

spd.png.437be85f4984c501507f34e2b6eee3aa.png

There is a single module of 8GB capacity, running at 2400 17-17-17… so nothing exciting about the speed or timings. The use of a single module helps in allowing the 2nd to be free for upgrade without removing any ram, but there is a bandwidth hit in single channel. More on that in benchmark results later.

Storage

cdm.png.607c9719868a086ed0e02caeca07259d.png

The is a 256GB Sandisk M.2 SATA SSD included. Performance figures are nothing special and within general expectations for a typical SATA device.

CPU

cpuz1.png.492e928e370e95f254d4be3de3b8a607.png cpuz-2.png.f8e6e1a749d592e4abcd1924a62e33fa.png

The i5 7300HQ is a Kaby Lake quad core CPU which does not feature hyper-threading. Rated at 2.5 GHz base, it goes up to 3.1 GHz all cores active, and 3.5 GHz single core active. At 45W TDP it doesn’t give the cooling system too much work.

GPU

gpuz-nv.png.ac61a251bd7574ecfc4551aa31083db0.png gpuz-in.png.32e25853f6a389fea7b8e26b9c442236.png

Although not explicitly mentioned, this seems to use nvidia Optimus technology, with the Intel HD 630 in use for low demand applications, switching seamlessly to the nvidia GTX 1050 for higher loads. This configuration comes with 2GB vram. Is this going to limit gaming potential?

Thermals and noise

The air intake is from under the laptop, collected by a fan on each side and blown out of the back. The laptop feet aren’t very deep so intake airflow is somewhat restricted, and might be improved by propping up the back a bit more. In normal use, and even when running short benchmarks, it remains very quiet. However… running a longer benchmark or doing some other activity which does stress it more, the fans can go into high speed mode and noise increases. It isn’t just a fan noise, there seems to be more of a hum on top, possibly from a vibration or resonance somewhere.

therm2.thumb.png.f36d18b48df39c86373255b9609a61b5.png

Above shows two runs, to the left is with CPU, FPU, cache, ram selected. To the right is selecting only FPU. Even under this sustained CPU load, the cooling was adequate.

flir_20180414T133703.thumb.jpg.aad250ce633c9ad4afdbcdd7446c6b7d.jpg

This thermal imaging shot was taken while running a prolonged memtest for a few hours. There is a kind of vent area at the top of the keyboard getting towards 50C. However as the surfaces are plastic they don't seem to transfer heat, although the air in that vicinity was somewhat warm. Vents at the back were in the ball park 45-47C.

Upgrades and benchmarks

expansion.jpg.0fe0c42e1b8fcac7c357657186f295be.jpg

One of the reasons this laptop sold itself to me was the upgradability stated on the product page, one screw (and the associated plastic panel) is all that separates you from the internals, at least a part of it. In this upgrade bay is an empty SODIMM slot, a used M.2 slot, and an empty 2.5” bay.

My original upgrade plan was to put the 2x8GB modules from my old laptop into this one so I have a matched pair, but with the populated socket inaccessible, I just put one of the sticks in the spare slot. For now I’m not changing or adding to the storage.

cachemem.png.dcdb8968ac3057dc99c048ba59e77e90.png cachemem-dc.png.a82d0bd7527de803200d29d4e028e178.png

The laptop included ram is 2400C17, and the additional ram is 2133C15… so how does that work? Quite well actually. The laptop ram will also run at 2133C15, so now I’m running that dual channel, compared with 2400C17 single channel before. Based purely on the rated speeds and channels, I should have 78% more ram bandwidth. Note this doesn’t take into consideration latency at all.

With it in place, does it actually affect any benchmarks though?

SC (Single Channel) 2400 is the original configuration as purchased.
DC (Dual Channel) 2133 is with the additional module fitted.

ramupg2.png.15576f7740e94956e1acd14c2d871085.png

Going through a set of Aida64 results, the ram bandwidth benchmarks certainly improved, although none of them quite to the full extent of the theoretical bandwidth change. The write got closest to the expected 78% at 75%, with read and copies around 62% faster. Latency also went up slightly by 1.1%. This is not unexpected actually, in theory 2133C15 is 0.7% slower than 2400C17. The difference may be attributed to either run to run variations, or other timings having some impact.

In the remainder of the Aida64 benchmarks, only one sees a significant improvement. The CPU PhotoWorxx test showing a 69% increase in performance. Presumably this test is data heavy and ram bandwidth limitations dominate. Other tests only showed a fractional if any difference so for practical purposes are unchanged.

Prime95 testing was done in 3 configurations. 64k FFT 4c4w runs a separate small test on each core. This should comfortably fit in the L3 cache of the CPU so shouldn’t be affected by ram configuration, and there is no significant change. 512k FFT 4c1w runs one task multi-threaded on all 4 cores. The nominal data set is 4MB, so easily fitting the L3 cache. Again we see no significant change from the ram upgrade. Finally, we have 4096k also multi-threaded. This has a 32MB working data set, so it has to use ram. Here we actually see better than ideal scaling of almost 90% improvement. For practical purposes I think we can assume we get the ideal scaling, and the apparent bit extra may be due to run to run variations.

Next up is Cinebench R15. Here I saw no change, which was a minor disappointment as I need 2 more points to take the lead for the CPU on HWBOT! In my past testing on other systems, ram performance did make a small difference. That it was not seen here maybe due to the CPU not making enough demand on the rest of the system, so the ram is practically unlimited. If the CPU were faster, for example, with hyper-threading, then maybe more of a difference could have been seen.

Onto graphical testing, starting with my current timesink, Final Fantasy XIV StormBlood (benchmark). The game has 5 presets, and of those I tested two: Standard (Laptop) and High (Laptop). The benchmark reports a synthetic score, but shown here is the reported average fps. Unfortunately it isn’t easy to pull more detail than that, as lows would be interesting also. Still, the standard setting gave a decent average of 75 fps, so dips under 60 were not too frequent. Setting it to high did see more drops below 60 as you might expect. And the ram upgrade? There was a small percentage uplift but not enough to make or break it.

The old favourite of 3DMark was next in Fire Strike and Time Spy. Scores are not remarkable given the hardware level. Also the extra ram didn’t seem to alter the scores much. I was wondering if the load might be enough to see some benefit from it, but it appears to not be the case.

And finally, I tried GTAV. There were some quirks which I think were due to GTAV itself, in that I initially had trouble getting the graphical settings to stick. Eventually I managed to reset to defaults, then change resolution to 1080p full screen, vsync off. A single run of the benchmark was used in each condition. The results… frame rates were ok, and it actually seemed to load smoother than some of my higher spec systems, especially in the jet part. And the change from the ram? It’s all over the place. I wouldn’t rate this as significant, and is more likely due to run to run variations.

CPU overclocking

There are no options at all in the bios. To try and adjust the CPU, I installed Intel XTU which reveals some sliders for voltage, current and power limits, but nothing for clocks or multipliers. Could relaxing the limiters help performance? Maybe, if it didn’t crash. Relaxing the turbo power limiters all the way and running Cinebench R15 causes the laptop to reset. Maybe a more moderate setting could still give a boost without the reset, but the gains aren’t likely to be great.

GPU OC

Loading up MSI Afterburner, it is possible to adjust only the core and ram clocks, but not the other settings. A quick test run with +200 on each of core and ram, gave a score of 5625, compared to 5231 before. This is an increase of 7.5%. At this time I wasn’t looking to find the limits of overclocking, but only to see if it was possible at all with these moderate settings. 

Security

At time of writing (29 April 2018), there is now a new bios available which does include the Spectre/Meltdown update. It is available on the website, but is not offered by the update tool on the laptop.

Towards the end of 2017 was also Intel-SA-00086. This required a ME update which doesn’t seem to be the case, so is also reported as being vulnerable.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025619/software.html

It is nice there is an update to cover Spectre/Meltdown, but a bit disappointing it didn't also include the ME update. This is the only system I have come across which has the Spectre/Meltdown update, but not the ME update. The ME update was widely distributed at the end of 2017.

Overall

It is still early days for me and this laptop, having had it for 4 days. I've yet to seriously game on it, outside of the various benchmarks run to get a feel for its performance level. GTAV ran better than I thought it might, although it is an older title by today's standards, it remains somewhat demanding. I may revisit this later on as I get more usage out of it.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Thumbs up for the thermal imaging. I would like to see temps under extreme tests like Prime95 and Furmark. Also try undervolting.

As I said before, the surface temps and fan noise will be higher than other competitors like Dell 7577 and Lenovo Y520. Keep in mind that this model comes with 1060 GPU as well so you can imagine how bad are the thermals in the 1060 model (as stated in NBC review). 7300HQ+1050 are fairly easy to be cooled so no worries.

Edited by ZM Fong

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

A real world battery life number would be nice to have once you've used it for a while. Great review, was surprised to see a thermal image 

That's an F in the profile pic

2 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Thumbs up for the thermal imaging. I would like to see temps under extreme tests like Prime95 and Furmark. Also try undervolting.

I want to do more when I have time. Real gaming loads seem more stressful than the synthetic loads and benchmarks I've used so far.

There is no voltage control for either CPU or GPU that I can access so far.

Just now, Froody129 said:

A real world battery life number would be nice to have once you've used it for a while. Great review, was surprised to see a thermal image 

Battery life is always a difficult one, and for this type of laptop I'd almost always run plugged in anyway.

Thermal imaging is relatively affordable now. I'm using I think a FLIR One v3. I think they also gave Linus one when he covered their products in the past.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

There is no voltage control for either CPU or GPU that I can access so far.

Every laptop can do undervolting. Use Throttlestop. Here's a guide.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

11 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Every laptop can do undervolting. Use Throttlestop. Here's a guide.

I wasn't aware of that tool. I'll have a look later. I'm more used to desktop approaches of using either XTU for investigation, or bios to save settings.

32 minutes ago, porina said:

I wasn't aware of that tool. I'll have a look later. I'm more used to desktop approaches of using either XTU for investigation, or bios to save settings.

My 7567 is fine using XTU for undervolting. It makes a big difference so is worth investigating

That's an F in the profile pic

Just now, Froody129 said:

My 7567 is fine using XTU for undervolting. It makes a big difference so is worth investigating

On this laptop, voltage control isn't exposed in XTU. 

• 2 weeks later...

New bios is now available for Spectre/Meltdown microcode. Updated OP to reflect the current situation.

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, SaulGoodman said:

Is the CPU upgradable?

Of course not

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

• 1 month later...

How are you digging your laptop now?

I placed an order today for a similar configuration as yours with the amazon Prime sales around and I am glad my quick guess around after asking ASUS what the current model of the ram of the system was and managed to order the correct one after looking into the model, went with C17 2400Mhz Patriot.

The variant I got is yours but with 7700 and hopefully a better display too.

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

9 hours ago, Sharif said:

How are you digging your laptop now?

I've been watching the Amazon UK deals with a little pain too, there's a 1060 model and higher CPU for only slightly more than I paid for this one, but we know that pricing will always change and you get more for less later on. Well, in general anyway.

As suspected, I've done relatively little gaming on it, so it was the right choice for me not to over spend. In fact, other than testing when installing games, I don't think I've actually gamed on it at all...

However the screen is getting annoying. Of all displays I have, it is the most fussy in vertical viewing angle. I can't use it when lying down in bed for example, as to get a correct display the screen has to be tiled to a particular angle and I can't find one that looks good. It is ok in a sitting position.

On 18/07/2018 at 11:00 AM, porina said:

I've been watching the Amazon UK deals with a little pain too, there's a 1060 model and higher CPU for only slightly more than I paid for this one, but we know that pricing will always change and you get more for less later on. Well, in general anyway.

As suspected, I've done relatively little gaming on it, so it was the right choice for me not to over spend. In fact, other than testing when installing games, I don't think I've actually gamed on it at all...

However the screen is getting annoying. Of all displays I have, it is the most fussy in vertical viewing angle. I can't use it when lying down in bed for example, as to get a correct display the screen has to be tiled to a particular angle and I can't find one that looks good. It is ok in a sitting position.

There is this conflict of information going on about that, I asked ASUS if the model listed on Amazon is the one with the IPS display, they said nope. (possibly could have the wrong model number up as well, as the description states a dIsplayport when it doesn't have one) I asked Amazon about it, they are like yes it has the "Wide angle display" which I hope is referring to an IPS panel, I took a little gamble on the screen, will find out once it's delivered. 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

31 minutes ago, Sharif said:

There is this conflict of information going on about that, I asked ASUS if the model listed on Amazon is the one with the IPS display, they said nope. (possibly could have the wrong model number up as well, as the description states a dIsplayport when it doesn't have one) I asked Amazon about it, they are like yes it has the "Wide angle display" which I hope is referring to an IPS panel, I took a little gamble on the screen, will find out once it's delivered. 

Horizontal viewing angle is not a problem on mine, only vertical where it is more sensitive than other displays I have experienced. I'd guess it is on the lower end of the TN scale.

9 hours ago, porina said:

Horizontal viewing angle is not a problem on mine, only vertical where it is more sensitive than other displays I have experienced. I'd guess it is on the lower end of the TN scale.

I went through all the reviews earlier today, only thing I keep reading about the screen is (Amazon user reviews) that it's good, I hope that means it has an IPS screen. People would generally whine about it, I know I would lol 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD