service to send in items to get scanned into 3d model?

Hello. not sure if this is the right place to ask, but given how ltt and css have 3dprinted stuff in the past, i thought it would be as good a place as any. so quick question: is there any service that allows you to send in an object to have scanned into a 3d model? i recently got a new back panel for my old alienware machine. the old m15x-r1 is known for having hinge mounting weaker than pretzels, and epoxy reinforcement is absolutely required if you plan on ever opening and closing the screen more than twice. i was thinking if i could send in the weak plastic rear panel, could i have it scanned into a 3d blender file to use a 3d printing service to get it in either a stronger plastic compound or even metal?

computer part in question i got that i'd like a stronger version of:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9AX6MV0822&cm_re=m15x-_-9SIA9AX6MV0822-_-Product

y[e]  |  I am king giraffe. Hail me.  |  I build computers as a hobby and sometimes resell them to make a profit. | Current rig's specs:

OS: Win10 Pro x64 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT | MB: ASUS X570 Tuff | RAM: 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600mhz | Bootup: Adata 1tb NVME Gen4 | SSD: Intel SSD6 P600 1tb | HDDs: 16tb total | PSU: Seasonic 1200w 80+ Gold | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 | Case: Voodoo Omen R (yes, THAT Voodoo) | Screen: Acer XF270HU 1440p 144hz FreeSync | total spent: $too much | (lol empty space)

15 hours ago, James Evens said:

Keep in mind that metal don't work together with your wifi antenna.

i dont mind that. it's easy enough to get a small usb wifi plug. having a display actually staying together is well worth poor/no built in wifi.

y[e]  |  I am king giraffe. Hail me.  |  I build computers as a hobby and sometimes resell them to make a profit. | Current rig's specs:

OS: Win10 Pro x64 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT | MB: ASUS X570 Tuff | RAM: 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600mhz | Bootup: Adata 1tb NVME Gen4 | SSD: Intel SSD6 P600 1tb | HDDs: 16tb total | PSU: Seasonic 1200w 80+ Gold | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 | Case: Voodoo Omen R (yes, THAT Voodoo) | Screen: Acer XF270HU 1440p 144hz FreeSync | total spent: $too much | (lol empty space)

On 4/13/2018 at 1:37 AM, gameboy3800 said:

-SNIP-

Not to shoot down your ambition but how much are you planning on this project proper 3D scanning and meteorology work is not cheap not to mention if you want to then have it machined in metal. Just the hourly cost alone for the scanning and modeling is going to be over the $100/hr mark. 

On 4/14/2018 at 3:08 AM, W-L said:

Not to shoot down your ambition but how much are you planning on this project proper 3D scanning and meteorology work is not cheap not to mention if you want to then have it machined in metal. Just the hourly cost alone for the scanning and modeling is going to be over the $100/hr mark. 

i never said for sure i was going to do metal. if it is far too pricey, a stronger plastic compound like maybe abs would def not be out of question for its strength/cost ratio.

27 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

i never said for sure i was going to do metal. if it is far too pricey, a stronger plastic compound like maybe abs would def not be out of question for its strength/cost ratio.

You could get it 3D printed from places like shapeways, it would be cheaper than machining it from a billet to a certain degree. 

4 hours ago, W-L said:

You could get it 3D printed from places like shapeways, it would be cheaper than machining it from a billet to a certain degree. 

i'm not too worried about whether or not i can get it printed or not. i know services exist to do that. my original question was if there was a place or program to scan the item into a 3d model to make using the printing services so much easier.

5 hours ago, gameboy3800 said:

i'm not too worried about whether or not i can get it printed or not. i know services exist to do that. my original question was if there was a place or program to scan the item into a 3d model to make using the printing services so much easier.

If you have a maker space or university locally they might be able to scanned it for you. However for any accuracy that will work for this kind of application your going to need a pretty top notch scanner. I’ve played around with hand held scanners and they’re pretty useless other than for making a basic 3D environment they aren’t accurate enough for something like this. 

6 hours ago, W-L said:

If you have a maker space or university locally they might be able to scanned it for you. However for any accuracy that will work for this kind of application your going to need a pretty top notch scanner. I’ve played around with hand held scanners and they’re pretty useless other than for making a basic 3D environment they aren’t accurate enough for something like this. 

i'll figure something out and will ask my university.