Are laptop cooling pads worth it?

Froug

I have a laptop that, under a load such as gaming, can heat up to about 80-90°. A friend of mine has a gaming laptop that goes up to about >90°.

So is it worth buying a cooling pad or even a vacuum cooler?

Generally speaking, they can lower temps up to about 10c, depending on the laptop obviously. Anecdotally, they're not worth the money. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Corsair H100i Pro | ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 | Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2x16gb @ 3200mhz  | Vega 64 @ Stock | Fractal Design Define R4 | Corsair RM750

ThinkPad T480 | Intel Core i7 8650u | Nvidia MX150 | 32GB DDR4 @ 2400mhz | Samsung 840 Pro 1tb | 1080p touchscreen

4 minutes ago, Froug said:

I have a laptop that, under a load such as gaming, can heat up to about 80-90°. A friend of mine has a gaming laptop that goes up to about >90°.

Just now, MellowCream said:

Generally speaking, they can lower temps up to about 10c, depending on the laptop obviously. Anecdotally, they're not worth the money. 

probably better off re-pasting with a better thermal paste, and giving it a good clean internally. IMO.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

I don't know about modern laptops, but with older ones, yes these pads are life savers, I have had laptops that will literally burn you if you don't have one, (one even managed to melt it's plastic casing)

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

14 minutes ago, Froug said:

For cooling purposes while still being something small and quiet? No. A good laptop cooler can definitely help with temperatures, and thus laptop life and performance, but all the good ones are either noisy or larger to accommodate big fans. If you're OK with this, then you could totally look around and find a cooling pad, but otherwise the only reason I have one is because it's more comfortable having the laptop on the slim padded cooler on top of my legs when sitting in my POANG chair, rather than the laptop itself being on my legs.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

5 hours ago, MellowCream said:

How about the other advantages, such as a cooler keyboard and less sweaty palms?

5 hours ago, MedievalMatt said:

probably better off re-pasting with a better thermal paste, and giving it a good clean internally. IMO.

What thermal paste do you recommend?

5 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

I don't know about modern laptops, but with older ones, yes these pads are life savers, I have had laptops that will literally burn you if you don't have one, (one even managed to melt it's plastic casing)

Yeah, my laptop is not that old... Did older models have poor thermal paste?

5 hours ago, kirashi said:

For cooling purposes while still being something small and quiet? No. A good laptop cooler can definitely help with temperatures, and thus laptop life and performance, but all the good ones are either noisy or larger to accommodate big fans. If you're OK with this, then you could totally look around and find a cooling pad, but otherwise the only reason I have one is because it's more comfortable having the laptop on the slim padded cooler on top of my legs when sitting in my POANG chair, rather than the laptop itself being on my legs.

"Noisy" is what I call my stock cooler lol. Good quality laptop coolers are quieter right?

5 hours ago, Theguywhobea said:

They alright

alright

14 hours ago, Froug said:

"Noisy" is what I call my stock cooler lol. Good quality laptop coolers are quieter right?

Yes, however, if your laptop still thinks it's too hot, you'll then have noise from both the cooler and the laptop, so it might not be quieter lol.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On 4/10/2018 at 12:26 AM, Froug said:

How about the other advantages, such as a cooler keyboard and less sweaty palms?

What thermal paste do you recommend?

Yeah, my laptop is not that old... Did older models have poor thermal paste?

alright

My laptop was from 2011 it was a Toshiba

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

No.  It's just a bandaid.  It won't improve performance really.  I'd rather put a bunch of nickles, dimes and quarters under my laptop.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage