What Coolant to Use

Hey I'm planning to do a SFF aluminum build and am wondering what opaque white coolants would be able to work with aluminum parts and not speed or create corrosion and not clog the system. Thanks.  

Any other questions or comments just @Hyp3rion and I'll try to reply.

Tot gauw

If you're using all aluminum parts (blocks, fittings, radiators, and so on) then there's no risk of corrosion.

If you've got any other metal in that loop, corrosion will be practically guaranteed regardless of what coolant you use.

As for choice of coolant, if you want opaque white, you have options.

I'll get at those in a bit. I'm just hoping that the aluminum parts you're using are all part of a kit and are all aluminum.

---

11 minutes ago, OG Laggins said:

Hey I'm planning to do a SFF aluminum build and am wondering what opaque white coolants would be able to work with aluminum parts and not speed or create corrosion and not clog the system. Thanks.  

That's the well Kept Secret Low Concentration of Glycol is good the inhibitors in it are strong and anti-corrosion fighting. It is gummy and thick though and a high concentration is bad and would rob cooling performance, still doubt it would clog anything though. I've ran a mixed metal loop for years and it didn't get that bad at all nothing got ate or rotted out. And Copper Blocks can be Cleaned with Alcohol and or Vinegar.  

2 minutes ago, PrimeSonic said:

If you're using all aluminum parts (blocks, fittings, radiators, and so on) then there's no risk of corrosion.

If you've got any other metal in that loop, corrosion will be practically guaranteed regardless of what coolant you use.

As for choice of coolant, if you want opaque white, you have options.

I'll get at those in a bit. I'm just hoping that the aluminum parts you're using are all part of a kit and are all aluminum.

I am using all aluminum parts as I am aware of the consequences of mixing metals.

Tot gauw

I don't care what they say about mixing metals..you can delay a lot of it...mostly what their talking about is stemmed from direct contact like aluminum fitting into a copper fitting/port or block or visa versa etc. Exactly another reason too probably why you are seeing more Plastic Acrylic and Acetal top Blocks. 

According to science and heat transferring and dissipating of Metals, you should have Copper and Aluminum. Copper does really well at Transferring but Aluminum is just about as good or better at Dissipating because of it's Lower Mass. 

The Copper Rads some and most have Brass innards as well and Brass actually is worse performing than either or copper or Aluminum.

So I don't care what the temp Sensors register...you have the best transferring with the Copper Block and have good dissipating with the Aluminum Rad.

This is Science and Proven in Labs and Testing.  

3 hours ago, OG Laggins said:

As for science has said here are no white (Pastel) coolants that are compatible with aluminum. For all aluminum loops the best option would be to use EKWB’s cryofuel. 

1 hour ago, W-L said:

As for science has said here are no white (Pastel) coolants that are compatible with aluminum. For all aluminum loops the best option would be to use EKWB’s cryofuel. 

2 hours ago, For Science! said:

Nope afaik all opaque fluids previpitate with aluminium

What about this http://www.performance-pcs.com/mayhems-pastel-uv-white-concentrate-250ml.html#Features

It says on the product page that it is good with aluminum and I just want it for the white and not the UV.

"Blended with Non-Toxic Corrosion & Scale Inhibitors for protection of Copper, Brass, Steel, Nickel and Aluminium Proven to ASTM D3306 and BS6580 standards"

Tot gauw

1 hour ago, OG Laggins said:

What about this http://www.performance-pcs.com/mayhems-pastel-uv-white-concentrate-250ml.html#Features

It says on the product page that it is good with aluminum and I just want it for the white and not the UV.

"Blended with Non-Toxic Corrosion & Scale Inhibitors for protection of Copper, Brass, Steel, Nickel and Aluminium Proven to ASTM D3306 and BS6580 standards"

Nope, Mayhems Pastel also reacts very badly with aluminium. This has been reported a few times in the context of Thermaltake aluminium radiators and also a few times with the A240G lineup.

Would love to tell you more about it, but Mayhems keeps terrible records of the composition so I cannot explain from a chemistry standpoint,

Just now, For Science! said:

Nope, Mayhems Pastel also reacts very badly with aluminium. This has been reported a few times in the context of Thermaltake aluminium radiators and also a few times with the A240G lineup.

Would love to tell you more about it, but Mayhems keeps terrible records of the composition so I cannot explain from a chemistry standpoint,

Looks like I'll just be going with clear then. Thanks for all the help.

Tot gauw

3 minutes ago, OG Laggins said:

Looks like I'll just be going with clear then. Thanks for all the help.

For the sake of not feel completely down and out, you can always consider opaque tubing of the desired color when colored fluid isn't possible.

Just a thought in case you had a specific look in mind.

---