Can I use this Mini display?

MeDownYou

I've got this display that I'd like to put into a case front panel to display system temps from sensors and such. I plugged it into an hdmi port and powered it on and all I get is a black screen and it's not detected by windows however. I see others being able to run these screens via hdmi only on other PC's and such but I'm having no such luck currently. Do i need a different model screen?

https://www.waveshare.com/product/mini-pc/raspberry-pi/displays/5inch-hdmi-lcd.htm

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

did you activate the monitor in the display properties? Does your gpu support multiple monitors?

It says it support raspberry os and ubuntu.

Maybe you need a driver for windows.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

It says it support raspberry os and ubuntu.

Even for linux distros it says you need to install a specific driver, so good luck with windows in that case

Don't forget to quote when replying to me

did you install the driver? the website says Drivers provided (works with your own Raspbian/Ubuntu directly)

so im assuage the device works out of the box with a PI or Ubuntu but maybe for windows you'll need the driver?

I think that's for the touchscreen

it mentions that the hdmi port doesn't require a driver which i think means it just a small hdmi display.

it does mention it has a switch for the backlight which can be turned on and off so maybe the backlight is turned off

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

did you activate the monitor in the display properties? Does your gpu support multiple monitors?

nothing detected even, yeah I've tried this on a 4690k igpu, 3210m igpu, and my 1080

The Vinyl Decal guy.

is the backlight on the display turning on when you connect power to it?

Just now, emosun said:

is the backlight on the display turning on when you connect power to it?

yep i can toggle it on an off via the switch (also I don't need touchscreen function for my purposes btw)

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Does it work in ubuntu?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

hmm maybe try something like an xbox or other device besides a pc perhaps. 

have you tried rebooting the machine with the screen connected?

have you tried connecting the hdmi cable while the machine is on to see if it will then detect the cable being plugged in?

Does it work in ubuntu?

even if the monitor had no windows driver , i think windows would still detect that unsupported hardware was plugged in. eve if windows didn't know it was even a monitor it SHOULD know that something is there.

Why the LCD doesn't work with my Raspbian?
To use the LCD with the Raspberry Pi official image, driver should be installed first. Please refer to the user manual.
However, for the first testing, you may want to use our provided image directly.

Maybe this thing have non standart input processor, it even needs a specific driver for the raspbian.

5 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Maybe this thing have non standart input processor, it even needs a specific driver for the raspbian.

hmm yeah might be easier just to nabb a new display at this point really

any recommendations?

The Vinyl Decal guy.

8 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

it mentions two raspberry pi units that only connect via hdmi , do those raspberry pi's use non standard hdmi?

17 minutes ago, MeDownYou said:

hmm yeah might be easier just to nabb a new display at this point really

any recommendations?

EP-0081-5--5-Inch-800x480-Capacity-Touch-Screen_02

that one, specifically said support for windows.