What do you wish you knew before delving into the PC world, that may have even made you feel stupid for not knowing?

ChetwoodJ96
1 hour ago, Napascj said:

Don’t follow the advice that certain hardware will perform at a consistent level across all games. A common phrase I always read online “A GTX 1070 and above is overkill for 1080p” “Waste of money”

Wrong. Not all categories of games are equal. I use a lot of flight simulators at 1080p ultra settings and, albeit with the expensive high quality aircraft, don’t pull in 60fps with my overclocked 1070 Ti. So basically, don’t listen to people who presume one GPU meets the needs for all games. 

I don’t get the „GPU XYZ is overkill for 1080p” at all. 

Games will move on and improve graphics constantly. It may be “too much now”, but what about two years in the future?

Just a stupid argument imo.

Also I used to think that frequency of a cpu is the determining factor for performance. 

So I thought that a single core with 2 GHz was better than a dual core with 1.8Ghz for example.

Thinking about it I don’t even think i knew about multiple cores on one cpu.

19 hours ago, ChetwoodJ96 said:

I wanna get a bunch of stupid RGB fans for my Be Quiet! Pure Base 600 but I'm worried that it'll get loud :(

I have all my fans slots full but have the two exhaust ones at the top running low so they cant be heard. That why still looks cool but no extra noise. 

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

20 hours ago, NinJake said:

Don't flick the switch on PSU's to 230v if you're in the US.

Opposite is true. Don't switch PSU to 110V if you're in EU.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

Don't buy a fancy PC case with a window without matching the colours. 

My first build was a  ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0 with Kingston HyperX Savage DDR3...

So when I looked through my window I saw a light blue motherboard with vibrant red RAM.

It looked aweful -.-'

52916602.jpg

2000541799.png

PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

one thing i wish i had known;

i always thought that cpu-gpu bottleneck ratio was linear meaning that for every double gpu performance u needed a cpu of also double its original performance.Then when the ps4 pro came out i saw that it was using basically the same cpu(15 percent faster) as the ps4 but it had 4 times the gpu processing power of the ps4 gpu,then i really felt that i had known it before....

On 2/23/2018 at 4:23 AM, Napascj said:

Don’t follow the advice that certain hardware will perform at a consistent level across all games. A common phrase I always read online “A GTX 1070 and above is overkill for 1080p” “Waste of money”

Wrong. Not all categories of games are equal. I use a lot of flight simulators at 1080p ultra settings and, albeit with the expensive high quality aircraft, don’t pull in 60fps with my overclocked 1070 Ti. So basically, don’t listen to people who presume one GPU meets the needs for all games. 

U might have enabled supersampling and  set all those taxing visual effect to the max..maybe that is why you are not getting a good fps.. the gtx 1070ti is a really powerfull card.It provides 8-9 teraflops of processing power and is equivalent to a gtx1080...so in a technical perspective the 1070ti is an overkill

On 22/02/2018 at 3:45 PM, NinJake said:

Don't flick the switch on PSU's to 230v if you're in the US.

Thiiiiissss, I found this out when I was repairing a PC in work. *flick* *pop* Fuck...

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

3 hours ago, SidharthAGupta said:

U might have enabled supersampling and  set all those taxing visual effect to the max..maybe that is why you are not getting a good fps.. the gtx 1070ti is a really powerfull card.It provides 8-9 teraflops of processing power and is equivalent to a gtx1080...so in a technical perspective the 1070ti is an overkill

No supersampling, but yeah most of the graphics are set high because it’s unrealistic without doing so. The GTX 1070 Ti is a very powerful card but flight simulators such as XP11 are very demanding since they can be used to train real world pilots, they are ultra realistic. I can get 100fps in a small Cessna in the countryside, but an Airbus at Heathrow and you’re looking at 30fps with 7.7GB of VRAM being used. It’s just how powerful these applications are, even at 1080p. 

Thinking my 3.2ghz Pentium 4 was SOOOOO much better than my 1.8ghz Athlon 64.... xD

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

9 hours ago, Vacras said:

I don’t get the „GPU XYZ is overkill for 1080p” at all. 

Games will move on and improve graphics constantly. It may be “too much now”, but what about two years in the future?

Just a stupid argument imo.

And THIS is why I got a 1080ti.

Specific specifications:
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
MOBO:  Gigabyte Aorus Ax370-Gaming K7

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8)
STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD, Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD, 10x12 unit in a gated lot

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti 11GB
PSU: EVGA G2 650W Gold
CASE: Be Quiet! Pure Base 600
MOUSE: Razer Death Adder Overwatch Edition
KEYBOARD: YES
MONITOR: WIDESCREEN TELEVISION, BABY
WALLET: $3.50

On 2/22/2018 at 4:48 PM, RotoCoreOne said:

My joy for gaming petered out around the time that I bought the 1080 ti. What do I do with it now minus mining lol

You could give it to a boy like me from the goodness of you heart

On 2/23/2018 at 6:24 AM, partymarty said:

Don't buy a fancy PC case with a window without matching the colours. 

My first build was a  ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0 with Kingston HyperX Savage DDR3...

So when I looked through my window I saw a light blue motherboard with vibrant red RAM.

It looked aweful -.-'

Now that's just shallowness lol

Rig Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700 3.9ghz @1.33125v Cinebench Scores Best:1750cb Average: 1735cb

Asrock X370 SLI/AC  SOLD

Evga GTX 560 Ti 1gb    Just got a EVGA GTX 780 HydroCopper

G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8gb 2400mhz oc’d to 2666mhz (bought when ram was still cheap :()  

Corsair RM850

Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Changing to a Inwin 301 soon

Custom CPU Loop (watercooling is boring to me right now so I want to go back to air cooling and do like one more WC Loop in a Inwin 301)

Intel 256gb SSD

Kingston 240gb SSD

HyperX 90gb SSD

Not So Shitbox v3 Specs:

I7 2600k oc'd to 4.7 @ 1.4ish (will do more when I get a better cooler) 

MSI P67-GD55  Sold to fund my gpu

Gigabyte Windforce HD 6950

Team Elite Plus 8gb DDR3 (1 stick) @ 1600mhz

Thermaltake Toughpower 750 watt

Cooler Master T4

Enthoo Luxe 

Kingston 120gb SSD

WD Black 1tb HDD

Laptop:

Asus GL552VW-DH71

i7 6700HQ

2x8gb DDR4 

1tb hard drive

GTX 960m

15in IPS 1080p display

...kept buying Dell Inspiron XYZ over, and over again... and tacking in extended warranties on each rig.

screwing drives and cable management are for rubes. (Except floppy drives, which were important to screw in because of the mechanical eject.)

I used to screw everything down, cable tie, etc.  Now I don't even bother reattaching the side of the case, let alone mount drives. everything is just dangling. And it's fine. Everything is fine. Drive swaps are fast.

Knowing what native resolution is. 1280x1024 resolution on a 1680x1050 monitor for 2 years

On 2/22/2018 at 12:12 PM, This kid builds pc said:

Why would you just "yank" on a wire that you don't know what it does? Also, you did all that research and didn't figure out the switch thing on PSUs?

Because I thought it was a fan splitter connector or whatever, looked similar on the opposing end so I pulled it out on the front end before I realized my fault.

And yes... I never really saw (video builds for example) anyone mention the switch/show it before I did my build. Just would skip to powered on system, no switch flipping. Forgetting about the power switch is a common thing though, I thought, so... not just me either.

That there is no such thing as the company that invented...

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.