Tv Vs Computer monitor?

GrizzlyBear0

so a few days ago a computer store owner told me don't get a monitor but get a TV Screen with the same specs for my computer. he was like it's better and balalalalalala without explaining anything.

so is it true a tv screen better then a monitor?...... if yes then why? if no then why not. just here for knowledge :)

Generally speaking TVs have higher latency than monitors, though some newer TVs are better about this. Their markets don't really overlap much to be honest; if you want a smaller screen suitable for desktop use, most TVs in that size range are low quality extremely budget oriented units. It's very difficult to find a high quality TV in the 24" class size, whereas there are plenty of very good monitors. If you want a 60" screen you'll be looking at from across the room on a couch on the other hand, there are almost no monitors in that size class, your choices are limited mostly to TVs.

4 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Generally speaking TVs have higher latency than monitors, though some newer TVs are better about this. Their markets don't really overlap much to be honest; if you want a smaller screen suitable for desktop use, most TVs in that size range are low quality extremely budget oriented units. It's very difficult to find a high quality TV in the 24" class size, whereas there are plenty of very good monitors. If you want a 60" screen you'll be looking at from across the room on a couch on the other hand, there are almost no monitors in that size class, your choices are limited mostly to TVs.

"It's very difficult to find a high quality TV in the 24" class size"

how are they limited to tvs then when i only want 24 size.? isn't a monitor better for size 24?

umm I can't give much detail on this but from personal experience to me yes. TBF I was gaming on a 4:3 monitor before I moved to a 27" curved screen TV. I do notice latency from time to time but majority of the time it is fairly responsive and provides great detail. 

Again I wouldn't go off what I given as my prior display was a 4:3 monitor so anything was gonna be better than that xD 

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

2 minutes ago, GrizzlyBear0 said:

"It's very difficult to find a high quality TV in the 24" class size"

how are they limited to tvs then when i only want 24 size.? isn't a monitor better for size 24?

Yes, like I said, it's difficult to find high quality 24" TVs. So for that size, you would look for a monitor.

Just now, Glenwing said:

Yes, like I said, it's difficult to find high quality 24" TVs. So for that size, you would look for a monitor.

a lot of people said for 1928x1080  resolution. a 24 size is perfect 27 is overkill or some bull sht

either gtx 1060 6gb or 980 ti or 1070 [one of these graphic cards] but i made my mind up on size 24. since apparent;y it's best. but what do you think about size 27?

1 minute ago, GrizzlyBear0 said:

a lot of people said for 1928x1080  resolution. a 24 size is perfect 27 is overkill or some bull sht

either gtx 1060 6gb or 980 ti or 1070 [one of these graphic cards] but i made my mind up on size 24. since apparent;y it's best. but what do you think about size 27?

It depends from how far you sit from the screen really. I sit around 0.5m away and 24" is max I can use, else I won't see the edges of the monitor. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

Just now, Eibe said:

It depends from how far you sit from the screen really. I sit around 0.5m away and 24" is max I can use, else I won't see the edges of the monitor. 

ah. i sit pretty close 

18 minutes ago, GrizzlyBear0 said:

Depends on viewing distance. At normal desktop distance I think 27" is too large for 1080p, but it's a matter of preference too. I use a 25" 1440p monitor.

TV's for living room, Monitors for desks :)

Could not deal with a high latency crappy refresh rate blurry TV. Monitor's will always be better for PC work. IMO.

I do have a media center PC and a 50" Sony TV in my living though with wireless keyboard and mouse setup etc but as others have said, that's the norm. I'm a good 3m away from it.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

For my own personal needs, TV's not 'waking up' on signal input is a downside too.  I put my computer to sleep or turn it off and then all my go to sleep and sip 0.5w, the compute powers up and the screens all jump to life.  No need to press the power button on every monitor.  Meanwhile a TV would blink 'No Signal' for 15mins or so, turn itself, off, and stay off till I press power again.

What will you be doing with it?  If you're going to be playing anything that'll benefit from low latency/input lag (like fps games) I'd go with a monitor.  If it's just casual gaming and viewing media a tv would be fine.

4 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

For my own personal needs, TV's not 'waking up' on signal input is a downside too.  I put my computer to sleep or turn it off and then all my go to sleep and sip 0.5w, the compute powers up and the screens all jump to life.  No need to press the power button on every monitor.  Meanwhile a TV would blink 'No Signal' for 15mins or so, turn itself, off, and stay off till I press power again.

Not entirely true. My tv is by LG and will go into a powersave mode when my pc shuts down or turns off the display.

To answer the OP another question is if you game competitively in fast paced games like shooters, go for a monitor because tv's traditionally have a really low response rate. Otherwise for single player gaming, or games where quick reactions aren't critical I'd base the choice more on what was already said namely, distance from the screen and resolution.

Forgot ask, what refresh rate do you want to game on? 

Even though I'd be comfier sitting back and gaming on my 60hz tv with my feet up in the recliner, I mostly game on my 144hz monitor for the ultra smooth framerates.

My TV is 46" and my monitor is 24".  I like to use my TV for watching and my monitor for playing.

I'd say you need to look at what size you're going for, and the DPI/PPI.

As others have mentioned here, latency will likely be worse on a TV vs even a standard monitor, saying nothing about high refresh gaming monitors.

But if you expect to use it as a daily work station, then you're looking more at the DPI/ppi numbers. 

Using this handy dandy website: https://www.sven.de/dpi/ it's pretty easy to do some comparison of resolution vs size impact on monitor PPI.

For instance, a 24" 1080p display has a PPI of 91.79, and is maybe a bit grainy, but acceptable for sitting at a desk 1-2 ft away.
a 46" 4k TV on the other hand, will have a PPI of 95.78, so actually look clearer at the same distance, and give you significantly more workspace than the 1080p display if you're scaling both to 100%

I'm getting tempted to pull the trigger on this experiment myself for my work laptop. A 42" 4k tv is available in the $200-300 range now, and would be the rough equivalent of having 4 21" 1080p monitors in a 2x2 grid pattern but with more flexibility as there will be no bezels to combat.

14 hours ago, GrizzlyBear0 said:

It's not bullshit, it's their personal opinion...which is all you're going to get for a question like this, since it's largely based on a persons perspective.

Personally, I think 24" is as big as 1080p should go, and at 27" it's too blurry. My dad thinks it's fine.

The size of the monitor has no effect on your GPU performance, only resolution does.

As for the TV debate, it's already been said but you won't really find small sized TVs that are worth it. They're generally priced higher because they have additional components. Just get a computer monitor and do it right, unless you're looking at something 40" or larger.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

After thinking about this stuff for a day or so, i remembered we have a Vizio 4k 39.5 display in my office somwhere..
Did some digging this morning, and managed to hunt it down. 

After some serious color correcting, i've been using it most of the day.

IMG_20180222_155921.thumb.jpg.232875427f38f3a351b9d16c9a3bd901.jpg

My hypothesis on the DPI was effectively correct. This is not a high end panel by any estimate, but it doesn't look worse pixel/graininess than my Apple Cinema HD Display.. the color sucks though.. i really need a calibrator.

6 windows is pretty damn nice. It's a lot of working space, but it's hard to organize. Sure, you can windows snap to 1080p segments in 4 corners, but it feels like wasted space.. Manually organizing windows to get to the 6 panel layout is a bit of a pain.. need to see if there's some way to customize the snap to different dimensions, sectors, etc..

There's also a fair bit of head turning, but actually less than my 3 wide normal monitor setup, but there's a bit more up and down. A stand of some sort would likely help significantly.

The whole thing's being driven off my laptop (on the right) through my thunderbolt dock from plugless.

Viewing Distance matters more on a tv than a monitor you can see pixels the close you get to a tv more. - Go monitor