Do adblockers cause this?

Go to solution Solved by noobbuilder,

i think if you got a legitimate extension and this is going on you have something in your cache or temp files causing it. i would download ccleaner and run it and see if it helps

So, I finally installed an adblocker after hearing some advice about avoiding things like crypto mining bugs,

but I noticed something..

I reset my browser to try and troubleshoot something and it turned off the adblocker.

When I went to youtube, I instantly got hit with a scareware page and something started downloading!

I stopped it right away before it finished.

This sort of thing never happened before installing the ad blocker.

I also can't seem to white list individual youtube pages.

This is with adblock plus.

So, does installing an adblocker turn off some other kind of security feature?

Why does this happen?

NONE of that should have happenned. Extensions should be downloaded from Chrome extensions/app page.

An adblocker is blocking ads. He doesn't change browser settings.

You can try adguard. Its an adblocker and it is detecting pishing and maleware (i dont know if adblock plus can do this also...)

Use uBlock Origin. Much more efficient. Has lots of resources of getting all the filters. Adblock Plus is poor imo. It has collection of all the adblock extensions built-in and you can manually customize every thing in it.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

i use ublock but have used adblock plus for years and no that isnt normal.

my suggestions are run malware anti-bytes as soon as possible and make sure its updated same with a anti virus scan delete cache from browser .

if your protection is up to date and auto downloading is going on i would disable my internet adapter immediately and run scans

if pc is auto downloading files disable internet and download antimalware and antivirus trails from unaffected pc to usb then use on affected pc.

just my 2 cents

8700k , 32gb ram , 2080 ti ftw3 ultra , msi gaming m5 , 7.1 kilpsch rp series , denon srh750 , sony 65x900f, 27tb's hdd's+ssd's , cooler master h500p modded case

6 minutes ago, NMS said:

NONE of that should have happenned. Extensions should be downloaded from Chrome extensions/app page.

That's exactly where I got it from.

2 minutes ago, noobbuilder said:

i use ublock but have used adblock plus for years and no that isnt normal.

my suggestions are run malware anti-bytes as soon as possible and make sure its updated same with a anti virus scan delete cache from browser .

if your protection is up to date and auto downloading is going on i would disable my internet adapter immediately and run scans

if pc is auto downloading files disable internet and download antimalware and antivirus trails from unaffected pc to usb then use on affected pc.

just my 2 cents

I already ran an offline scan in safe mode. Nothing turned up. This problem went away right away after reactivating the adblocker. It's just weird. I don't understand why this would change anything. Before I installed the adblocker, I never had anything like this happen even once.

i think if you got a legitimate extension and this is going on you have something in your cache or temp files causing it. i would download ccleaner and run it and see if it helps

8700k , 32gb ram , 2080 ti ftw3 ultra , msi gaming m5 , 7.1 kilpsch rp series , denon srh750 , sony 65x900f, 27tb's hdd's+ssd's , cooler master h500p modded case

5 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

That's exactly where I got it from.

Perhaps there was a particularly nasty ad that didn't want to be blocked?

Also, download and run ADWCleaner and Junkware Removal Tool and run it. One at a time.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

just a warning about adwcleaner and junkware removal tool they will auto delete anything they find usually even false positives and ahem!!altered or torrented game files...but if your infected they do get the job done

34 minutes ago, noobbuilder said:

just a warning about adwcleaner and junkware removal tool they will auto delete anything they find usually even false positives and ahem!!altered or torrented game files...but if your infected they do get the job done

This happened after the Malwarebytes acquired ADWCleaner. They delete any optimizations software. But, I've never experience anything that you mentioned ^^^ above.

8 hours ago, noobbuilder said:

ccleaner seems to have caught whatever it was, because it didn't happen again after disabling adblock plus.

Thanks.