Looking For A Smart TV

Hiitchy

Hi everyone,

My parents' anniversary is coming up and I was trying to think of things I could get them. The TV we have in our living room is currently a 42 inch Dynex TV that we bought when we first moved in around 11 years ago. I was looking around and saw some 4k UHD Smart TV's from LG at the local Best Buy but wanted a second opinion.I would like to know how to interpret things or what to look for when it comes to buying a 4K tv since this is my first major purchase. (Other than the occasional $5,000 build). 

One thing to note is that I do have a 4k source (Rogers 4K PVR), I'm just lacking the TV. Suggestions would be super appreciated.

Also, before I forget, I was mainly looking at the LG 43 inch (43UJ6200). Can anyone share their thoughts on that?

Thank you! :)

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

3 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

Hi everyone,

My parents' anniversary is coming up and I was trying to think of things I could get them. The TV we have in our living room is currently a 42 inch Dynex TV that we bought when we first moved in around 11 years ago. I was looking around and saw some 4k UHD Smart TV's from LG at the local Best Buy but wanted a second opinion.I would like to know how to interpret things or what to look for when it comes to buying a 4K tv since this is my first major purchase. (Other than the occasional $5,000 build). 

One thing to note is that I do have a 4k source (Rogers 4K PVR), I'm just lacking the TV. Suggestions would be super appreciated.

Also, before I forget, I was mainly looking at the LG 43 inch (43UJ6200). Can anyone share their thoughts on that?

Thank you! :)

when shopping for tv's you really cant go by what you see in store.  All the pictures are usally either a 4k signal coming into the tvs or special content from the manufacturer to make there tv's look the best.  I used to work at bestbuy and if your looking at the three major tv brands being samsung, sony and lg,  samsung usally is the brightnest being oversaturated but for some people thats good.  Sony is usally the most natural is color reproduction and tend to have the best upsacalling of all.  Lg is kinda in the middle so they do make there tv's kinda bright but not as bright as samsung and have usally decent upscaling but not as good as sony.  as for if the tv that you are looking at is good, yea its a pretty good model for the price.  Just go look at it in store cause i remeber that one of the smaller Lg's was terrible in brightness and was always dark 

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

Samsung ones are better, especially for use with consoles/PCs.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, xdeathshot20 said:

when shopping for tv's you really cant go by what you see in store.  All the pictures are usally either a 4k signal coming into the tvs or special content from the manufacturer to make there tv's look the best.  I used to work at bestbuy and if your looking at the three major tv brands being samsung, sony and lg,  samsung usally is the brightnest being oversaturated but for some people thats good.  Sony is usally the most natural is color reproduction and tend to have the best upsacalling of all.  Lg is kinda in the middle so they do make there tv's kinda bright but not as bright as samsung and have usally decent upscaling but not as good as sony.  as for if the tv that you are looking at is good, yea its a pretty good model for the price.  Just go look at it in store cause i remeber that one of the smaller Lg's was terrible in brightness and was always dark 

I'll definitely take your word on going into the store. I did fear they were doing exactly what you were explaining because quite honestly they've got a product to sell I guess.

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Samsung ones are better, especially for use with consoles/PCs.

I really want to go Samsung, but none of the TV's I've seen have been at a price I could afford sadly. Perhaps if I moved some stuff around I could afford the Samsung UN55MU6300FXZC... This is a 55 inch Tizen Smart TV. What do you think of that?

There is nothing inherent to look for when shopping for a 4K TV. I've seen people happy with lesser known companies, and people happy with spending more on the major players. Honestly, with the cheaper companies, you're playing a little bit more with a lottery situation on if it's going to work or last for a long time, but people have had enough issues with the big companies that it's honestly pretty much the same. Just shop somewhere that offers a good warranty, and go for a size and feature-set that interests you (LG uses webOS, RCA has Roku on some of their models, etc...).

For instance, Canadian Tire has a Westinghouse 55-inch 4K Smart TV for $500. There's also an RCA 50" Roku Smart TV for $500. These are typically ones that people wouldn't associate as quality, but they're solid options for cheap 50+" 4K smart TVs. 

If you stay in that price range, you're typically only getting around ~40" from the Samsungs, LGs, etc... If you think going for a similar size TV works for your situation, springing for one of those seems fine. But if you want something bigger, you'll have to spend more, or take a slight chance on one of the "other" brands.

Personally, I got my parents a Seiki 48" 4K Smart TV for $400 over a year ago, and they've been fine with it. Works well, and is still surviving. They don't need anything more fancy or expensive. Now, if I was buying for myself, I'd tend to opt for Samsung, but that's just my brand loyalty.

I suggest you check out rtings.com for all indepth reviews on TV's.

Also look for something with android tv to install 3rd party apks.

23 minutes ago, Strayan_Bass said:

I suggest you check out rtings.com for all indepth reviews on TV's.

Also look for something with android tv to install 3rd party apks.

I went with a 55 inch samsung 4ktv. It was the best choice I could find anyway