Considering today's market, is a Ps4 Pro a better buy for gaming than a pc?

Gdourado
3 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Console games are tailored for the hardware, Xboxs aren't underpowered for anything  . . . :S still 30fps in games so no problemo

Yeah, I don't think that you follow.  There are a number of games that while the PS4 readily managed 30fps, the Xbox One would actually struggle and frequently fall SHORT of.  Seriously.  Watch more Digital Foundry.

No because unless you're a noob you shouldn't have to build from scratch due to having some good parts to begin with. Just upgrade if you cant play the games you want.

The Faestation Poor may make sense right now if you've never had a PC or parts.

8 hours ago, 48Hz said:

It's important to note that the 2400G is based on Vega and not Polaris like the X.

Polaris is better at delta compression supposedly, so that makes it easier for higher resolutions.

I'm not sure what your point is?

Yes, the 2400G uses Vega. Yes, The One X uses Polaris.

But the One X has four times as many CU's. Delta Compression only goes so far. The One X still blows the 2400G away on the graphics front.

Oh wait, you're saying that Polaris, the older architecture, has better delta compression? Do you have a source for that?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Ill let you know after I try my shiny new PS4pro star wars edition with my cronus max +

11 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I'm not sure what your point is?

But the One X has four times as many CU's. Delta Compression only goes so far. The One X still blows the 2400G away on the graphics front.

Oh wait, you're saying that Polaris, the older architecture, has better delta compression? Do you have a source for that?

Here you go:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Radeon-RX-Vega-64-Grafikkarte-266623/Tests/Benchmark-Preis-Release-1235445/3/

Hi

if you love JRPG, go with PS4.. PC gaming is quite expensive now(if you want the current models) but get some -1 gen used stuff and you might still get a good price.

"Strive to be the best and be the best!"

For me its financially more viable to get a PS4. I don't have much time and energy to game and when I do I want everything to work.

Since my current rig is turning 9 years, the amount of money to make (in my mind) a decent gaming (workstation) rig outweighs the price of the console five fold. My pc is great for productivity but it started to lack in the gaming department.

So I vote console.

1 hour ago, KazuMae said:

if you love JRPG, go with PS4.. PC gaming is quite expensive now(if you want the current models) but get some -1 gen used stuff and you might still get a good price.

Persona 5 alone is enough reason to get a PS4 IMO. 

16 hours ago, 48Hz said:

I'm sorry, I don't speak German. Do you have an English source, so I don't have to rely on (sometimes janky) Google translate?

Alternatively, if you could quote the specific paragraph (translated)?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

• 3 weeks later...

The PS4 or PS4 Pro is the best deal for the general population period. It has arguably some of the best exclusives, large player base and it does not cost alot. I love my PS4 Pro and have enjoyed many games for it.  For enthusiasts PC gaming reigns supreme even with inflated costs. While building a PC right now sucks you can pick a prebuilt for a decent price still.  I honestly used to be an all or nothing guy. Either I gotta go all in for PS4 or PC but now I just play whatever it is best on or I cant get on the other. 

As I get older though I can see the appeal of just going Console. Other priorities in life; kids, more advanced role at work will limit the amount of gaming you can do. So in that case it would be just best to get something more casual. 

| Ryzen R9 3900x Enermax LIQTECH II 360  | Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero| Nivida FE RTX 2080 Ti | Corsair Vengeance 16gb @3200MHZ | Crucial 500 GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue SSD| Corsair HX 750w  Platinum+ |Corsair Carbide Spec-Omega| Gigabyte Arous 27QD 1440p 144hz

Shamless fanboying aside.  The Switch is actually looking like a viable primary console especially for its value.  Plenty of quality indie titles on the eshop coupled with some solid third party support and Ninty Exclusives (which lets face it you will never get on a PC anytime soon).  Plus the whole portable thing is definitely a plus. 

But I will say in any console purchase the biggest thing to consider is the exclusives and if they interest you or not. If Uncharted, Persona, and Yakuza all interest you more go for a PS4.  If you like Ninty Titles and Bayonetta more get a Switch.

6 hours ago, LordTaco42 said:

Shamless fanboying aside.  The Switch is actually looking like a viable primary console especially for its value.  Plenty of quality indie titles on the eshop coupled with some solid third party support and Ninty Exclusives (which lets face it you will never get on a PC anytime soon).  Plus the whole portable thing is definitely a plus. 

But I will say in any console purchase the biggest thing to consider is the exclusives and if they interest you or not. If Uncharted, Persona, and Yakuza all interest you more go for a PS4.  If you like Ninty Titles and Bayonetta more get a Switch.

I think the Switch looks amazing long term with Shin Megami Tensei V, Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, Project Octopath Traveler, a new Fire Emblem game, and surely a Pokemon RPG. In the here and now though I can't agree when most of the library is ports of cheap Steam games, no matter how amazing Super Mario Odyssey is and how highly regarded BOTW is. I'm dying for Octopath Traveler and SMT V though, man I can't wait for those.

The Switch pisses me off still not having Virtual Console support for NES, SNES, and Gamecube games yet. If they had even NES and SNES up I would have already bought one to play those games on the go, but since they don't I bought a used New 3DS XL. So the portable part of the Switch has no appeal to me yet since I want to play games like Super Mario Odyssey that have amazing graphics on the bigscreen.

On 10.2.2018 at 11:37 PM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I don't know why PC Master Race keeps repeating this lie over and over. Here is what I spent for each game on my PS4, all new sealed physical copies bought from Gamestop, Best Buy, Walmart, Target, or Newegg or digital copies bought directly from the PSN Store (so no G2A shadiness for example)

Persona 5: $60

I paid 49,99€ for it, Ultimate Version....

But it always depends on how patient you are and if you are willing to wait - or not...

Like I did with FFXII and XV - was one week later on sale for half of what I've paid...

Well, I don't regret paying full price for 12 - it was totally worth it, though its a bit on the easy side...

XV is another story. I totally regret paying normal/full price for that...

On 10.2.2018 at 11:37 PM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Bloodborne: $18

I'll get it for free with PS PLus next month =)

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 11.2.2018 at 7:33 PM, dalekphalm said:

Not quite.

Both PS4 PRO and XBox One are somewhat between Polaris and Vega, AFAIR the XBox is more on the VEGA side than PS4 PRO is...

10 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

The Switch pisses me off still not having Virtual Console support for NES, SNES, and Gamecube games yet. If they had even NES and SNES up I would have already bought one to play those games on the go, but since they don't I bought a used New 3DS XL. So the portable part of the Switch has no appeal to me yet since I want to play games like Super Mario Odyssey that have amazing graphics on the bigscreen.

Its coming as is streaming apps but I agree should have been ready out of the gate.

You can build a used PC with pretty decent parts that aren't effected by the crypto mining stuff so no, I still think a PC is a better value because of what you're getting.

You can build a computer with maybe a haswell generation CPU like the 4590, 4690k, 4770k, etc and a gtx 970 for very reasonable prices and that'll even be VR compatible.

Everyone thinks you need to buy the newest thing, but you can overclock a slightly older processor to get it up to like 4.7ghz and 900 series graphics cards are still very good cards that aren't that old.

That's what I suggest, because at the end of the day you get a lot more out of a PC than you do out of any console.

8 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

You can build a used PC with pretty decent parts that aren't effected by the crypto mining stuff so no, I still think a PC is a better value because of what you're getting.

You can build a computer with maybe a haswell generation CPU like the 4590, 4690k, 4770k, etc and a gtx 970 for very reasonable prices and that'll even be VR compatible.

Everyone thinks you need to buy the newest thing, but you can overclock a slightly older processor to get it up to like 4.7ghz and 900 series graphics cards are still very good cards that aren't that old.

That's what I suggest, because at the end of the day you get a lot more out of a PC than you do out of any console.

I always disagree when people say you get alot more out of PC than a console for the majority.  A PC soley for gaming can do other things but how many PC Gamers are taking advantage of that. You honestly dont even need a PC anymore. Most people use phones, tablets or a work laptop. 

I will say you can definitely by used. However, you can buy a PS4 Pro for like $250 used and pick up 3 games on Amazon for $100. Its a great value for the vast majority of gamers. Though if you want the best experience of course getting a PC makes sense. 

| Ryzen R9 3900x Enermax LIQTECH II 360  | Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero| Nivida FE RTX 2080 Ti | Corsair Vengeance 16gb @3200MHZ | Crucial 500 GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue SSD| Corsair HX 750w  Platinum+ |Corsair Carbide Spec-Omega| Gigabyte Arous 27QD 1440p 144hz

11 minutes ago, SSJGodemis said:

I always disagree when people say you get alot more out of PC than a console for the majority.  A PC soley for gaming can do other things but how many PC Gamers are taking advantage of that.

Any cheater does ;)
And that's the biggest "advantage" of the PC over the Console. Cheating is easy. For the console its either impossible or very hard...

4 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Any cheater does ;)
And that's the biggest "advantage" of the PC over the Console. Cheating is easy. For the console its either impossible or very hard...

Lol I suppose you will always find more cheaters on PC.  I mean I like my gaming PC. But some days I just enjoy my PS4 instead. I dont get to game alot and I find myself drawn to the exclusives on my PS4 and Switch compared to my PC which was used for MMOs when I first built it. 

8 minutes ago, SSJGodemis said:

Lol I suppose you will always find more cheaters on PC.  I mean I like my gaming PC. But some days I just enjoy my PS4 instead. I dont get to game alot and I find myself drawn to the exclusives on my PS4 and Switch compared to my PC which was used for MMOs when I first built it. 

Yes cheating can be more of a concern on PC, with Multiplayer games. Simply because it's easier to do it (easier to install a third party program, etc).

And that could be a downside. But most major games have very few cheaters.

And if you enjoy Single Player, story-driven games, like myself, you won't encounter any cheaters at all :P

14 hours ago, SSJGodemis said:

I always disagree when people say you get alot more out of PC than a console for the majority.  A PC soley for gaming can do other things but how many PC Gamers are taking advantage of that. You honestly dont even need a PC anymore. Most people use phones, tablets or a work laptop. 

I will say you can definitely by used. However, you can buy a PS4 Pro for like $250 used and pick up 3 games on Amazon for $100. Its a great value for the vast majority of gamers. Though if you want the best experience of course getting a PC makes sense. 

You're not including the fact that there is 100x more games for PC if not more since almost everything from the 90's and up is still playable on PC whereas with a console you're mostly limited to the current generation of games and if not you have to buy the game again.

This is only one tiny little point too.

What about VR?

Have you compared PSVR to and Oculus or Vive.

The difference is huge.

So, yea.

Regardless of what's cheaper, you still get a heck of a lot more out of a PC.

10 hours ago, SSJGodemis said:

14 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Any cheater does ;)

I'm really good with cheat engine (I don't cheat in online games though).

I'm talking like using debuggers, editing the register and all of that not the basic shit,

and let me bust this myth right now.

It's not that hard to block cheating on the PC.

Lots of games do it. I can't remember the name of it, but there's some service or program they use to block cheating in online games. Then it becomes just as hard to get away with on PC as it is on console,

so you can't blame PC's for that.

It's the devs being lazy or cheap who are responsible.

If you're making an online game and not using cheat blockers, what are you even doing right?

Even without cheat blockers, you can encrypt your values like they did back in the day to make it a heck of a lot harder to do. If you can't just simply scan for a value change that matches up to what's happening in the game, it doesn't work easily anymore and then 99% of cheaters don't have a leg to stand on.

50 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

You're not including the fact that there is 100x more games for PC if not more since almost everything from the 90's and up is still playable on PC whereas with a console you're mostly limited to the current generation of games and if not you have to buy the game again.

This is only one tiny little point too.

What about VR?

Have you compared PSVR to and Oculus or Vive.

The difference is huge.

So, yea.

Regardless of what's cheaper, you still get a heck of a lot more out of a PC.

Good points, but let's break them down.

1. Old PC Games. Anything (or most of them) on GoG will probably play decently on modern hardware w/ Windows 10. They'll troubleshoot with you if you do have issues. With that in mind, there are many classic games that refuse to cooperate or are buggy/broken, on Windows 10. If you happen to have an old DOS box, etc, you'll be in better shape though.

2. VR - yes Oculus and Vive are superior, no question. But:

2a. They require a significantly more powerful (and therefore expensive) PC to get a good solid experience where few of the titles will drop below 90 FPS (60 is playable but 90 is your target)

2b. The PS VR costs a lot less than the Vive or Oculus.

With those two sub-points together, you can see that jumping into VR is cheaper as a whole, via PS VR. The console + VR headset costs less than a good VR capable PC + a Vive.

So you pick your poison. Either you want the best, and are willing to pay for it, or you're willing to compromise on price.